What's new

kioku25

Student
Reaction score
OK, I don't know how helpful this is gonna be, but at the behest of Darksoft, I'm gonna detail some of the steps I took to convert ID3.

I recently updated my Naomi netboot romset with the help of Gakman's Mega repository and I found that the Japanese version of one of my favorite games "Initial D 3" (GDS-0032B) was nowhere to be found. So I took it upon myself to convert the game. I had never done this before, but Darksoft's excellent tutorial made the whole process seem easy enough.

I found that though DS's guide is fairly comprehensive, it's also a little outdated. For example it failed to mention that a lot of the CHDs one finds in the wild, are most likely v.4s and need to be updated first. Luckily I was able to find a batch program that did just that. Another thing that had me stumped, was that no matter what version of chdman and GD-Rom Explorer I used, I was never able to open the extracted Track3.bin with GD Rom Explorer.

I finally made some headway when I, despite of what it said in Darksoft's tutorial, extracted the CHD not to BIN/CUE, but to GDI. I was finally able to open the resulting file with GD Rom Explorer and could decrypt and extract the actual "Game BIN". Now, I don't know if this will work for every CHD out there, but converting the CHD to GDI instead of BIN/CUE, is not only way easier, it also beats having to mess with Isobuster - as is recommended in the tutorial.

Anyway, the game boots to the title screen, but since I don't have a racing setup right now, I'm unable to test it further. So if anyone wants it, here you go!
Let me know if it works for you!

Last edited:
Thanks for share!
I had the same problem of converting CHD to bin. Because the chd i have is for mame 1.80 and the new version chdman only extract gd-rom image to bin/cue file in TOC mode.
Again thank you and Draksoft's great guide.

Back