What's new
Forgot about the whole analogue gas and brake thing. I hope the Mad Catz works out

Are the triggers are on the 3D Saturn controller analogue? I thought they were digital too.

Are the triggers are on the 3D Saturn controller analogue? I thought they were digital too.
They are both!

The analogue portion of the trigger is a magnet/sensor combo (hall effect).
In digital mode they act as regular shoulder buttons.

Crazy Taxi works really well :D

Wow this is pretty beast looking..All the naomi set ups I've seen look like a circuit breaker box with a power meter hanging off it and all the wires exposed ready to burn someones house down.

I had no idea they could be so clean..makes me want to give it a go myself.. very inspiring!

I am very curious about that Sega Saturn controller board. Does it only work with JVS stuff or can it work with any arcade games? The reason I was really interested in it, was to get the rom board for Virtual On for the model 2 and using my Saturn Twin Sticks with it, instead of having to find a Von control panel.

The controller board is not JVS specific. It just breaks out the Saturn input to individual channels:
U, D, L, R, A, B, C, X, Y, Z, LT, RT, Start (plus analog, but that isn't needed with Virtual On..).
I then connect these outputs to the Jamma input of the JVS board.

If you added a second controller output to the Twin Stick as I have done (above), you could probably use 2x RGBs Sega Saturn to JAMMA joypad converter to achieve the same result...

I am glad I have stumbled upon this topic now, since I know, if I ever find a Virtual On rom board for my Sega Model 2 (Model 2b, I believe), I should be able to wire up something like the Saturn Converter to use those amazing Saturn Twin Sticks with the real arcade game.

Someone on Atariage posted a nice blurb about the proper mappings if anyone plans to use a twin stick with one of these converters:

Here's a partial list of Twin Stick control commands:

The left stick functions as the D-Pad. The triggers function exactly the same as they do on the NiGHTS pad, except that the Twin Stick triggers have only one position.
Right Stick direction ---> control pad equivalent:
Left ---> A
Down ---> B
Right ---> C
Up ---> Y

The buttons on top of the sticks function as X (left stick) and Z (right stick).

A little work in progress :thumbsup:

ezgif.com-optimize.gif

I want to say, this is very awesome, and I am now following your thread!

Is there a way to buy the Saturn Nibbler board?

Wow awesome! Any updates?
Sure!

IMG_1366.jpg

How about some 2.4Ghz wireless OG controllers 8o

IMG_1280.jpg IMG_1282.jpg IMG_1368.jpg

You may have heard about these via the write-up over at the Shumps forum.
If you keep reading you'll see that people have quickly run into issues with antennae, range, setup etc.
Bottom line - they work for me. YMMV. That's not a very helpful attitude, so here is what I have learnt...

Firstly, I purchased these direct from the seller on Taobao.com, with TBFocus as my forwarding agent.
The shumps page links to a reseller, but buyers have been sent the PCBs without a receiver unit ?( Don't do that. Also direct is cheaper!
Secondly, the receiver plugs are horrible. You can just about force them into the controller sockets, but good luck getting them back out.
I took a metal file to them to slim them down.
Thirdly.. there are no trigger buttons included. You need to harvest your own... Lucking I had a few padhacks with unused trigger buttons.
They desoldered pretty easily with just a cheap solder sucker
Lastly there are no instructions included. Here are mine:

Switch on: press Start
Switch off: press and hold LT,RT & Start
(3 seconds - red light flashes, turns off).

Program:
Start with everything off.
  1. Press and hold Start until red led is lit.
  2. Plug in receiver and power on console. (Receiver should begin to flash rapidly).
  3. Press ABCXY or Z to set channel. (Receiver flashes slowly, controller is still red).
  4. Confirm channel: Press Start and Channel button selected previously. (Controller and receiver steady green led).
I used 'Channel A' (Button A) for the first pad and 'Channel C' for the second pad.
To reassign channels, repeat above steps.

Reset button looks to reset current connection on current settings.

And don't worry - no HSS-0125 IR receiver units were harmed... Everything is reversible:

IMG_1367.jpg

Last edited:
Wow awesome! Any updates?
Sure!
IMG_1366.jpg

How about some 2.4Ghz wireless OG controllers 8o

IMG_1280.jpg
IMG_1368.jpg

You may have heard about these via the write-up over at the Shumps forum.
If you keep reading you'll see that people have quickly run into issues with antennae, range, setup etc.
Bottom line - they work for me. YMMV. That's not a very helpful attitude, so here is what I have learnt...

Firstly, I purchased these direct from the seller on Taobao.com, with TBFocus as my forwarding agent.
The shumps page links to a reseller, but buyers have been sent the PCBs without a receiver unit ?( Don't do that. Also direct is cheaper!
Secondly, the receiver plugs are horrible. You can just about force them into the controller sockets, but good luck getting them back out.
I took a metal file to them to slim them down.
Thirdly.. there are no trigger buttons included. You need to harvest your own... Lucking I had a few padhacks with unused trigger buttons.
They desoldered pretty easily with just a cheap solder sucker
Lastly there are no instructions included. Here are mine:

Switch on: press Start
Switch off: press and hold LT,RT & Start
(3 seconds - red light flashes, turns off).

Program:
Start with everything off.
  1. Press and hold Start until red led is lit.
  2. Plug in receiver and power on console. (Receiver should begin to flash rapidly).
  3. Press ABCXY or Z to set channel. (Receiver flashes slowly, controller is still red).
  4. Confirm channel: Press Start and Channel button selected previously. (Controller and receiver steady green led).
I used 'Channel A' (Button A) for the first pad and 'Channel C' for the second pad.
To reassign channels, repeat above steps.

Reset button looks to reset current connection on current settings.

And don't worry - no HSS-0125 IR receiver units were harmed... Everything is reversible:

IMG_1367.jpg
Very nice work sir !

@nam9 awesome work! One quick question: what kind of spacer did you use to fix/screw the PCBs into the case?
I would like to use something similar to mine
thanks!!!

Back