Consolized Saturn Naomi

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• mukurofish wrote:

This project is becoming more awesome every update. I know you got the analogue controller working, so does this mean you could technically use the mission stick and steering wheel as well? (yes I know the Saturn wheel is garbage, but the ability to use it would still be cool)
      Both are compatible, but there are other limitations.
      RDC even picked up a second Mission stick to try out the twin stick configuration (stock image below...).
      That would give you a total of 6 analog inputs in theory..

The Saturn wheel only has one analogue output (the wheel its self) and all driving games need 3 (steering, accelerator and brake).
      I have picked up two 3rd party wheels so far, but they don't do true analogue - the pedals output digital signals, acting more like rapid fire.
      I'm looking at picking up a MadCatz 'True Analog' Wheel as i have read that it emulates the 3D controller, rather than the digital controller...

Fingers crossed!
    • I am very curious about that Sega Saturn controller board. Does it only work with JVS stuff or can it work with any arcade games? The reason I was really interested in it, was to get the rom board for Virtual On for the model 2 and using my Saturn Twin Sticks with it, instead of having to find a Von control panel.
    • The controller board is not JVS specific. It just breaks out the Saturn input to individual channels:
      U, D, L, R, A, B, C, X, Y, Z, LT, RT, Start (plus analog, but that isn't needed with Virtual On..).
      I then connect these outputs to the Jamma input of the JVS board.

If you added a second controller output to the Twin Stick as I have done (above), you could probably use 2x RGBs Sega Saturn to JAMMA joypad converter to achieve the same result...
    • I am glad I have stumbled upon this topic now, since I know, if I ever find a Virtual On rom board for my Sega Model 2 (Model 2b, I believe), I should be able to wire up something like the Saturn Converter to use those amazing Saturn Twin Sticks with the real arcade game.

Someone on Atariage posted a nice blurb about the proper mappings if anyone plans to use a twin stick with one of these converters:

Here's a partial list of Twin Stick control commands:

The left stick functions as the D-Pad. The triggers function exactly the same as they do on the NiGHTS pad, except that the Twin Stick triggers have only one position.
      Right Stick direction ---> control pad equivalent:
      Left ---> A
      Down ---> B
      Right ---> C
      Up ---> Y

The buttons on top of the sticks function as X (left stick) and Z (right stick).
    • Rob Black wrote:

Wow awesome! Any updates?
      Sure!

How about some 2.4Ghz wireless OG controllers 8o

You may have heard about these via the write-up over at the Shumps forum.
      If you keep reading you'll see that people have quickly run into issues with antennae, range, setup etc.
      Bottom line - they work for me. YMMV. That's not a very helpful attitude, so here is what I have learnt...

Firstly, I purchased these direct from the seller on Taobao.com, with TBFocus as my forwarding agent.
      The shumps page links to a reseller, but buyers have been sent the PCBs without a receiver unit ?( Don't do that. Also direct is cheaper!
      Secondly, the receiver plugs are horrible. You can just about force them into the controller sockets, but good luck getting them back out.
      I took a metal file to them to slim them down.
      Thirdly.. there are no trigger buttons included. You need to harvest your own... Lucking I had a few padhacks with unused trigger buttons.
      They desoldered pretty easily with just a cheap solder sucker
      Lastly there are no instructions included. Here are mine:

Switch on: press Start
      Switch off: press and hold LT,RT & Start
      (3 seconds - red light flashes, turns off).

Program:
      Start with everything off.
      1. Press and hold Start until red led is lit.
      2. Plug in receiver and power on console. (Receiver should begin to flash rapidly).
      3. Press ABCXY or Z to set channel. (Receiver flashes slowly, controller is still red).
      4. Confirm channel: Press Start and Channel button selected previously. (Controller and receiver steady green led).
      I used 'Channel A' (Button A) for the first pad and 'Channel C' for the second pad.
      To reassign channels, repeat above steps.

Reset button looks to reset current connection on current settings.

And don't worry - no HSS-0125 IR receiver units were harmed... Everything is reversible:

The post was edited 2 times, last by nam9 ().

• nam9 wrote:

Rob Black wrote:

Wow awesome! Any updates?
      Sure!

How about some 2.4Ghz wireless OG controllers 8o

You may have heard about these via the write-up over at the Shumps forum.
      If you keep reading you'll see that people have quickly run into issues with antennae, range, setup etc.
      Bottom line - they work for me. YMMV. That's not a very helpful attitude, so here is what I have learnt...

Firstly, I purchased these direct from the seller on Taobao.com, with TBFocus as my forwarding agent.
      The shumps page links to a reseller, but buyers have been sent the PCBs without a receiver unit ?( Don't do that. Also direct is cheaper!
      Secondly, the receiver plugs are horrible. You can just about force them into the controller sockets, but good luck getting them back out.
      I took a metal file to them to slim them down.
      Thirdly.. there are no trigger buttons included. You need to harvest your own... Lucking I had a few padhacks with unused trigger buttons.
      They desoldered pretty easily with just a cheap solder sucker
      Lastly there are no instructions included. Here are mine:

Switch on: press Start
      Switch off: press and hold LT,RT & Start
      (3 seconds - red light flashes, turns off).

Program:
      Start with everything off.
      1. Press and hold Start until red led is lit.
      2. Plug in receiver and power on console. (Receiver should begin to flash rapidly).
      3. Press ABCXY or Z to set channel. (Receiver flashes slowly, controller is still red).
      4. Confirm channel: Press Start and Channel button selected previously. (Controller and receiver steady green led).
      I used 'Channel A' (Button A) for the first pad and 'Channel C' for the second pad.
      To reassign channels, repeat above steps.

Reset button looks to reset current connection on current settings.

And don't worry - no HSS-0125 IR receiver units were harmed... Everything is reversible:

Very nice work sir !
      Darksoft Multi's : CPS2 / Taito F3
      Apocalypse Multi's : Irem M72
      Superguns : HAS v3.1
      Scalers : OSSC v1.6 / XRGB Mini Freimeister / RetroTINK-2X
      Scart switch : Gscartsw V5.2
      JNX: Spitfire

My Arcade Stuff

[nes-101] [pce] [genesis] [segacd] [neogeo] [snes] [saturn] [psx] [n64] [gamecube] [dreamcast_ss]