What's new
@marcburd I used self adhesive M3 mounts which I cannot find a picture of now online...

They are basically these:

3880.jpg

Mine were shorter and black. I used regular M3 hex standoffs to hold the JVS I/O at the correct height above the base.
Pretty sure I just found the on eBay. 'Self adhesive pcb standoff' should give you something to go on.

So this is a project that I have been working on for quite some time now and have (almost) finally finished:

Saturn Naomi.JPG

This unit is a fully consolized NetBoot system running PiForce-Web @devtty0 / Netbooter @chunksin and was heavily inspired by @muckyfingers and FreedomGundam.

Naomi Front.JPG Naomi Rear.png Naomi Controller.JPG

Wanting to do something different, I opted for Sega Saturn control ports. I'll admit that this was primarily as they match the colour scheme of the Naomi... :whistling:
The other reasons being that I love the feel of the Saturn digital pads, the overall range of available accessories, and... Analog controls.

So this is how it looks inside. You will probably notice the power management. I wanted things to be modular and I wanted to ensure that I didn't limit current to the motherboard.
The DC-DC PSU is only rated 160W (200W peak), but has preformed flawlessly so far. Thanks to Larry from HDPlex for some technical assistance there.

Naomi Internals.png

Controller input is handled by the 'Saturn Nibbler' (bottom right) - a custom board made by RDC that handle the Saturn controller protocol translation.
The digital side has a total of 16 outputs for UDLR, Start, ABC, XYZ, LT, RT and 3 software controlled keypress combinations (X+Y+Start = Coin Up).
The analog side has 4 outputs, X & Y axis, LT & RT that output 5v potentiometer style signal for the JVS I/O to interpret.

The JVS accepts 8 analog inputs (A0-A7) but lacks almost any form of standardisation between titles. The Nibbler therefore allows X/Y axes to be inverted or swapped.
Another key press combo puts the 3D controller in to 'Driving mode' so that brake and accelerate are correctly mapped to the LT & RT respectively.
Believe it or not, even the light gun games are playable - albeit rather clumsily - with the analog joystick. The relay switch in the middle remaps P2 controls from the P1 LT/RT to P2 XA/YA.

Thanks again to RDC for all his hard work and assistance. Apologies that I only really managed to hold things back with taking my time with the rest of the build.
The board above went from 1st draft to assembled prototype in 2.5 weeks... By comparison, shipping out to Norway took a week in itself...

Nibbler 1.jpg Nibbler 2.jpg Nibbler 3.jpg

Anyway, thanks for looking! Hope you like it! :thumbsup:

Naomi HS0130.JPG

That is a sweet setup! Ok so first question, where can I buy that astro city arcade stick? Second, do you offer modding services? If so, how much would you charge to consolize a naomi board to where I can plug in any arcade stick?

Minor update! I've been working on some peripherals. Really happy with how this came out!
I had to go this route as Virtual On OT uses P1 controls for left stick and P2 controls for right stick.

IMG_0992.JPG IMG_0977.JPG IMG_0979.JPG

I was planning to trim the control pad pcb down to fit, but it actually wedges in nicely.
The ribbon cable is soldered to the controller chip on one side and the through-hole pins on the other side.

If anyone knows anyone producing replacement plexi/artwork for this or the HSS-0136 (Sega Saturn Virtual stick) then i'd love to swap out the top panel for this!

rap_ot210mm.png
Awesome work, and you just reminded me about Virtual On. That game is such a classic, the joysticks always had me feeling like a Gundam pilot.

^I can buy them for around 300-400, but it'll cost over 150 to ship (maybe up to 200) easily.

^I can buy them for around 300-400, but it'll cost over 150 to ship (maybe up to 200) easily.
I would be willing to pay $400-$500 shipped to me for a great condition one. Also, one that I can use with naomi board.

^ you need to mod your NAOMI to work with Saturn controllers, use an Axunworks JJCBOX, or use Saturn to DB15 adapters on a normal supergun in order to do this. Your budget is too low if you want one in great condition. You'll easily have to pay 50k-60k yen, plus shipping, plus my service fee. There's little point in obtaining a cherry one anyway because the buttons suck and you'll want to swap them out anyway (must know how to solder).

Here is my thread concerning purchases from Japan for future use:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/joko-re-introduction-yaj-akiba-shopping-service-offer.19511/

Fantastic mod work but this thread really has a terrible title!
Every time I read "Consolized Saturn Naomi" I think you gutted a Sega Saturn and placed this inside a Naomi case.
Maybe a better name/title would be "Consolized Naomi w/ Saturn Ports" OR just "Consolized Naomi"

agree with jassin. first time seeing this post and its a bit misleading. VERY effin cool tho

Yay my Notifications :thumbsup:

Fantastic mod work but this thread really has a terrible title!

agree with jassin. first time seeing this post and its a bit misleading. VERY effin cool tho

Granted that snappy titles aren't my thing (supporting evidence 1 & 2), this was in part me paying homage to @muckyfingers and his Consolized Sega Naomi.
The alternative was the Saturnized Naomi, and no-one needed that :whistling:

@jitu757 You should probably check out the Open JVS project or the IONA I/O may be a good choice if the controller kinks can be smoothed out.
Unfortunately I barely have time for my own projects at present... and even then I'm taking 6months to a year on the larger ones.

There is also tons of space inside the Naomi case - even more if you pick up a 1.5 short board (they look like this).
Throw in some Xbox controllers and I'll license you the thread title: OJ Naomi: 360 Edition :thumbsup:

Last edited:
^ you need to mod your NAOMI to work with Saturn controllers, use an Axunworks JJCBOX, or use Saturn to DB15 adapters on a normal supergun in order to do this. Your budget is too low if you want one in great condition. You'll easily have to pay 50k-60k yen, plus shipping, plus my service fee. There's little point in obtaining a cherry one anyway because the buttons suck and you'll want to swap them out anyway (must know how to solder).

Here is my thread concerning purchases from Japan for future use:

https://www.arcade-projects.com/threads/joko-re-introduction-yaj-akiba-shopping-service-offer.19511/
I can definitely solder stuff. Picked up the skill when I got into building mechanical keyboards. Thanks for the info and the link! ...it's sort of a pattern with me picking up hobbies in their later years when prices aren't what they use to be =/

@jitu757 You should probably check out the Open JVS project or the IONA I/O may be a good choice if the controller kinks can be smoothed out.
Unfortunately I barely have time for my own projects at present... and even then I'm taking 6months to a year on the larger ones.

There is also tons of space inside the Naomi case - even more if you pick up a 1.5 short board (they look like this).
Throw in some Xbox controllers and I'll license you the thread title: OJ Naomi: 360 Edition :thumbsup:
lol! that's a great title!

As far as modding goes, I won't experiment on the only naomi board I have atm, so, will look into it when I get another one. Also, I can totally understand about not having the time to take on more projects...but if you think you could add on one more project even if it takes 6 months to a year, I would love to set something up with you.

Hmm... always room for improvement, but not my main focus of late...
Biggest update to the system as a whole was new Bios, WiPi and fixed rom packs...

Naomi multi BIOS (fixed with proper bootstrap) by @mathieulh
Naomi Pi 'WiPi Netbooter' by @chunksin
OSD Netboot Naomi With EEPROM Presets! by @DragonMinded

Failing that it would probably be a button remapping solution to consider...
Hey there, I'm looking to venture into getting a Naomi 2 with the wipi net-dimm setup but I am really green when it comes to this. I looked on ebay and found a guy in italy selling a naomi 2 with piforce net-dimm setup for like 1200 shipped US but I don't know if its a deal or not. I know I'd need a PSU, a Supergun and something else which he said he had another auction for another 250 euro . I watched some videos on youtube so I get the idea on how to operate it but it's getting it to power on and getting video out which is throwing me off. I'm thinking about getting one of the unico nova blast candy cab repro cabs but i am just completely hopeless. someone showed me the goodness and now it's all i can think about is getting that naomi 2 working with its predecessor and atomiswave. so many hours of my teens lost playing those games lol i need it.

You should probably start a WTB thread for a Naomi 2. There are some better (new) options than a Sun PSU probably depending on budget. There are Axun works supergun that are plug and play, or JVS adapters for mean well psu’s out there.

I looked on ebay and found a guy in italy selling a naomi 2 with piforce net-dimm setup for like 1200 shipped US but I don't know if its a deal or not.

It's not. You should be able to find everything for around 600-700 USD.

Back