What's new

ekorz

Multi Boyz 4 Pi
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
While SF2CE might be my favorite, I hold a certain reverence for the original WW. Almost a year ago when I started into the hardware-side of this hobby I made SF2 one of my first board purchases. The board arrived, booted, but sadly had no sound whatsoever. No matter, this noob can use google! Most folks out there point to the Z80 processor and relay with disdain that "Capcom cheaped out, they printed the CPS1 motherboard to have a Z80A but then installed the cheaper Z80". Typically this is the culprit, and since the B board gets in the way of probing anything I just decided to socket and replace the dang thing.

CSwRJq2.jpg

It didn't work.

Next, I dove into the schematics (link!) and googled a bit more. That research indicated that 'no sound at all' could either be due to the 3.579 oscillator not working, or the YM3012 DAC IC. Again since the f%$!ing B board gets in the way I just went ahead and bought both from China since they were cheap.

jBGAU09.jpg

Upon arrival I tried piggy-backing the YM3012 and boom, sound. Happily de-soldered it and swapped in a new one. I had no sockets the right size, and I'm impatient, so hopefully this one lasts a while longer.

So another SF2:WW is back to working order!

uwPJJpI.jpg

After buying a Knights of the Round with 'no audio' I read up a lot on how to troubleshoot and maybe fix the problem. Lucky for my board, there was a missing 10uF 25v tantalum cap on the main board, very close to the volume pot and this fixed my board ! Thanks for putting this info up here though, I actually soldered a speaker to the YM3012 IC to confirm audio did work, before I had the cap available for install.

After buying a Knights of the Round with 'no audio' I read up a lot on how to troubleshoot and maybe fix the problem. Lucky for my board, there was a missing 10uF 25v tantalum cap on the main board, very close to the volume pot and this fixed my board ! Thanks for putting this info up here though, I actually soldered a speaker to the YM3012 IC to confirm audio did work, before I had the cap available for install.
Nice! If I had this to do over again I’d use my audio probe instead of shotgunning. They’re pretty handy and are akin to soldering on a speaker.

FS: Walsdawg Arcade Audio Probes

I have the same no audio problem on my CPS1 as you do and am going to order a replacement Z80A CPU to hopefully fix it.

Looking at your first picture, it looks like you replaced your old CPU with a Z80B correct?

Does it really matter if the replacement is a Z80A or Z80B?

Back