What's new

Scarletspeedstr

Student
Reaction score
I was working on my Astro City this weekend and ran into an issue with my Final Fight board. I swapped the A board with my SF2 Champion Edition board and the result is the same. I tried it on my Neo Geo cabinet with an adapter, same result. I then reseated the C board without any change. Not sure what the next steps are, but am willing to listen if anyone has advice.

Attachments

• IMG_2247.JPG
    IMG_2247.JPG
    961.2 KB · Views: 1,501
A board is ok then? that's good news. can you verify the ROMs are good?

That looks to me like a data line gone wrong. It can be a cold solder on one of the eproms
or it can be a 74LS that went broken. It can also be a failing eprom, although I don't remember seeing eproms that fail on only one bit.

Try pushing slightly the eproms/mask roms one by one when powered on and see if any of them changes the results.

A board is ok then? that's good news. can you verify the ROMs are good?
The only way I have to verify anything really is when the game boots, which gives me the all OK.

That looks to me like a data line gone wrong. It can be a cold solder on one of the eproms
or it can be a 74LS that went broken. It can also be a failing eprom, although I don't remember seeing eproms that fail on only one bit.

Try pushing slightly the eproms/mask roms one by one when powered on and see if any of them changes the results.
Thanks for the tip. Will do.

Looks to me like a problem with the background ROMS, so go down the left-hand column of your B board and either remove/reinsert each socketed chip or give it a strong press to make sure each one is seated tightly. Do the same with the PAL chip located at 1A above the first column of ROMs.

No changes when slightly pushing. I'll try it the hard way and remove, reseat, test, and see where that gets me. Thanks everyone.

Pulled all chips and reseated, same result. I love that I come back and have two more replies of things to try. Seriously, thanks for the help and ideas.

I’ve had plenty to do, but never did solve this and decided to pull all the EPROMS and socketed chips tonite. I burned all new EPROMS from the mame rom and.....same graphics result. I also found a questionable trace, bridged it, same result. I may try to acquire another C board just for sanity, this is driving me crazy.

If you have a continuity tester, try checking the continuity on your socket leads on the left-hand column of the B board.

It's also possible that your PAL chip at position 1A has failed. You can program your own replacement GAL chip from a MAME romset. Definitely try that before going to the trouble of buying another C board.

If you have a continuity tester, try checking the continuity on your socket leads on the left-hand column of the B board.It's also possible that your PAL chip at position 1A has failed. You can program your own replacement GAL chip from a MAME romset. Definitely try that before going to the trouble of buying another C board.
Thanks. As far as the GAL chips go, I'm largely unfamiliar. Would a GAL16V8 chip be a suitable replacement for this or no?

Yes, you can use GAL16V8D.
Attached, the .jed for your game ;)

FFIGHT63B is for an SF2CE B-Board type. (if you can test on it).If problem is the same, your B-board is good ;)
s224b is for your original board.

But i think the Pal in 1A is good....
Vertical line (when i have see this problem) bad C-board or bad Ep-rom/Mask-rom.

Attachments

• s224b.zip
    350 bytes · Views: 260
  • FFIGHT63B.zip
    493 bytes · Views: 304
Last edited:
Yes, you can use GAL16V8D.Attached, the .jed for your game ;) FFIGHT63B is for an SF2CE B-Board type. (if you can test on it).If problem is the same, your B-board is good ;) s224b is for your original board.But i think the Pal in 1A is good....Vertical line (when i have see this problem) bad C-board or bad Ep-rom/Mask-rom.
Thanks @Bonky. As far as the mask roms go, some googling says the 27C4100 will substitute the originals which were HN62404P. I'll have to order them and the GAL. Also looks like my GQ-4X doesn't handle the GAL chips so, there's another thing to grab.

FWIW, I had vertical lines when the 1A PAL went out in my Forgotten Worlds board, so I'd say it's still worth a look at after verifying socket continuity and ROM dump checksums.

IMG_3687.JPG

Recently I'm quite unlucky.
Today I've bought a pang 3 cps1 board for around 120€ (reported to be 100% working) and after some hours the seller tells me that there are some vertical lines after some minutes of gameplay. He said that when he tested the game some months ago it was working.
He tried the B+C board with another A board reporting the same issue and a bootleg B board with the same A board and C board that I bought reporting that everything was working.
He offered me a price reduction and a working C board from Street fighter 2 and 2 broken A board along with pang 3 or a complete refund..

The error seems the same described in this post.

Since I'm buying this board for the future multi do you think that I should risk and accept the purpose or ask for a refund?

Attachments

• IMG_20180827_193753_178.jpg
    IMG_20180827_193753_178.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 280
I wouldn't risk.
Thank you for your answer.
I was tempted just because he offered me pang3 (A+B+C) with this issue, 2 not working A board (originals) and other 2 C-boards (reported to work) for around 100€ shipped.
But I think that I'll follow your advice :)

Back