What's new

BOOST

Beginner
Reaction score
Hey yall,

Have a cps3 board that is giving me some trouble. Have darksoft mod, 2i is loaded atm I believe. Region select comes up, if controller is plugged in, i get a eeprom error. Whats goin on here? Thanks.

So, if you don't plug controller in it just play the attract? via mame file "If the NVRAM data is not present when the game boots or the NVRAM is not working or inaccessible a message is displayed 'EEPROM ERROR' and the game halts. This error can also occur if the security cart edge connector is dirty and not contacting properly."

If i dont plug in a controller I just get the region select screen. The security cart edge connector is the slot for the cart? How can I clean this?

To clean the cart, you can use a q tip and some isopropyl alcohol. For the socket on the motherboard you want to get a credit card and some paper. Fold the paper over the card. Dip it in a little iso alcohol and insert it up and down along the socket. I find it odd that you only get the problem when the controller is plug in. I take it this is a supergun? Is it wire correctly? What happen when you plug it in after the region select screen

Its from a supergun, yeah. I can navigate the region select menu fine (go up or down) but as soon as i select a region Ill get the EEPROM ERROR. I just cleaned it out hope it works

ah ok. How did it turn out yesterday?

Try every single region. It's starting to look like a motherboard issue for sure and it can't rewrite the new settings to the eeprom.

cleaned it out and still got error. tested each region got error for all.

Yeah the eeprom on the motherboard may need to be replaced or you may have some corroded traces around the eeprom.

Damn this sucks, how can i replace an eeprom? Would i need to get it off another board?

First inspect your pcb and make sure there are no broken or scratched traces.

Where exactly are the eeprom located on cps3?

Found your thread BOOST. I'll take a look at your MOBO since I have it and post photos of anything that looks off.

Hey @XeD This thread was actually created by my friend, I'm the guy that just bought that other CPS III board and cart off of you. No luck yet. I haven't gotten to give this a solid look yet, but I do mean to check out what you were saying about the EEPROM being under the plastic cap by the battery.

under the white plastic shell is a tiny chip labeled ‘ATMEL K3 AT93C46 10SC’ on the pcb next to it it says ‘13E NM93C46A’. Not sure if this is even an eeprom. I need help just identifying an eeprom on this board.

Back