What's new
Nop, the only one MD Everdrive he considers "safe" is the X5, the other ones will kill the ozone layer and annhilate the human race.

Nop, the only one MD Everdrive he considers "safe" is the X5, the other ones will kill the ozone layer and annhilate the human race.
oh God. I only have Sun tan lotion factor 50 when i play my everdrive. Would that be enough?

OMG!! factor 50? are you mad? your skin is rated factor 30, you must consider that prolonged use of components outside of their specified tolerances inevitably leads to failure!!! think of extreme heat disipation.

extra sun factor must go somewhere; 1st law of thermodynamics. It is converted to heat through the unintended conduction of clamping red cells, which can be harmful to internal organs.

Your design is complete garbage. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Hi all. I'm bothered by that website's posts for a few reasons. 1: Any time I had an idea on how to improve the design of the everdrives, I directly e-mailed krikzz my idea. Every single time I e-mailed krikzz an idea he replied, he was very friendly, and he incorporated my more important ideas into his newer redesigned versions.

For example, I was one of the first people (if not the first person) to point out to krikzz that on the home consoles where power usage isn't a big issue, using ram chips instead of flash memory in the everdrives will increase the potential lifespan of your flash cartridges, as well as greatly decreasing the loading time. The result of my efforts was krikzz quickly made a turbo everdrive version 2 that incorporated this idea, and who knows if the n8 would or wouldn't have been flash based if I hadn't e-mailed krikzz.

When you make a public website like that, it creates the (in this case false) image that directly talking with the author of the hardware won't work, and that he's not interested in improving his design. Most people who design hardware are very willing, happy and eager to improve their designs. I want to see the everdrives have better designs, but just e-mailing krikzz these suggestions would be much more effective. I can understand complaining about other flash cartridges where there's no way to directly contact the author(s), but for the everdrives it's very easy and friendly to directly suggest good improvements and get them included into the designs.

Another thing that bothered me with that post is the author mentioning other issues he dislikes but he never explains what these issues are and why they're an issue. For example he repeatedly mentions a lack of ground pour and lack of component designators in these designs, but never explains why they're important and what happens if you don't have them.

Last edited:
It's amazing how many people here think Krikzz is the only person he needed/intended to address when he very clearly addressed this with other devices too including multicarts and repro boards, many of which were DIRECTLY connecting 5v to 3.3v parts (none of this "3.75v is still within maximum spec/tolerance" BS). How does he discretely contact the engineer of the latest AliXpress 190-in-1 Special? Even if he could, how does he privately warn each of us not to use it?

He was addressing an entire industry. He wanted user expectations to change in order to influence proper engineering. Krikzz didn't invent flash carts, guys. He may be the darling of the Johnny-come-lately crowd who are amazed at these products because they had no clue about things that preceded it back-in-the-day, but even for them we have others like MarshallH and Bunnyboy.

I own several of Krikzz's products but I am consistently underwhelmed... not because they are bad (they aren't) but because people play them up as so much more than they are when reality proves them, frankly, inferior in some ways to the solutions that are no longer being produced (and some that are, like SD2SNES). It's a problem with my unrealistic expectations more than it is with his products. It's not surprising to see people of this "Krikzz's is amazing!" mindset in full knee-jerk Krikzz defense mode as if this were a personal attack on them and their superstar.

I have a Stone Age Gamer Super Everdrive, a Krikzz Super Everdrive, a Krikzz SD2SNES, a Stone Age Gamer Ultra Everdrive 64 Deluxe Edition, a Krikzz Everdrive 64, a Krikzz Turbo Everdrive, a Krikzz Famicom Everdrive N8, and a Krikzz NES Everdrive N8. I'll be buying more in the future, but I will take Rene's advice to heart and impose a higher standard on Krikzz and others... even ourselves.

For example, I have some flash chips I received from someone in adapter boards intended to drop right into NES donor boards (uses standard pinout like Nintendo instead of EPROM pinout). Upon reading this I immediately checked the data sheets to make sure that they were 5v logic because there clearly was no level translation circuitry/components on the boards. I had even used one to translate Final Fantasy II without having been aware! Before selling my NES NTSC Elite prototype I was already planning to use one of these adapters to make a functional copy (original EPROM reads a bit flaky but I have a good backup). Luckily, it all checked out at 5v, so I am "go" for the Elite proto when I get around to it. :)

Back