What's new
Didn't @Darksoft say the AW conversions are pulling their information for the JVS from the Naomi itself and not directly from the JVS?
Nope, didnt say that. In any case the JVS is connected to the Naomi, so bad power on the JVS means that Naomi won't read from it correctly.

I'd imagine not good enough JVS power may cause transmission errors or timeouts, but in AW->N conversions, the code which talks with JVS host MCU is not robust, not handle error reply cases, and goes crazy.

Didn't @[u]@Darksoft[/u] say the AW conversions are pulling their information for the JVS from the Naomi itself and not directly from the JVS?
Nope, didnt say that. In any case the JVS is connected to the Naomi, so bad power on the JVS means that Naomi won't read from it correctly.
Ah my bad .. mis-understanding.

the code which talks with JVS host MCU is not handle error reply cases, and goes crazy.
You're right. That can be the issue if JVS is not properly powered.
BUT the Naomi 1 and 2 games worked just fine. Do they just kind of ignore some of it where the Atomiswave stuff does not?

*Edit* I see where he mentioned the AW-Conversion code not being as robust .. sorry.

I cant get new japan wrestling to boot regardless of region.
I tried this image: toukon4.bin crc32: 0xf8de3218

And it gets to the region warning screen and then locks up hard, i.e. cannot enter setup.

I strongly suspect NAMCO protection.

Yeah that matches my CRC also. Was there other versions or revisions you know of?

I tried this image: toukon4.bin crc32: 0xf8de3218

And it gets to the region warning screen and then locks up hard, i.e. cannot enter setup.

I strongly suspect NAMCO protection.
Yes. We never actually got that one working.

I'm lost now....AFAIK Toukon is a Naomi Game not an AW conversion.

The SUN PSU is the business when it comes to running Naomi for sure.It's almost the perfect option if you can find one that's not wrecked.
It's not "almost" it "is" the perfect option as that's what came original with the Naomi.

One thing I noticed last night when I was tinkering with some stuff is that the 120VAC draw on the Sun power supply ramps waaaaaay up when booting Atomiswave games to the point that sometimes it makes the marquee flicker and you can hear the fans ramp way up. Most prominently it shows when I loaded Sushi Bar. It does not really seem to do this with any of the Naomi games. This means the power demand from the Naomi is super high during this. It seems to calm down after the game is loaded.

Probably most people wouldn't notice this because they run it in a supergun situation, however I wired up an entire cab with sound, marquee, CRT and everything so some stuff like that shows or sticks out pretty good.

Probably most people wouldn't notice this because they run it in a supergun situation, however I wired up an entire cab with sound, marquee, CRT and everything so some stuff like that shows or sticks out pretty good.
While I have never tested the voltages when loading Atomiswave games, I run my setup in a regular jamma cab and have never noticed any power dip in the lights or anything else...

:D

One thing I noticed last night when I was tinkering with some stuff is that the 120VAC draw on the Sun power supply ramps waaaaaay up when booting Atomiswave games to the point that sometimes it makes the marquee flicker and you can hear the fans ramp way up. Most prominently it shows when I loaded Sushi Bar. It does not really seem to do this with any of the Naomi games. This means the power demand from the Naomi is super high during this. It seems to calm down after the game is loaded.
Isn't the marquee running on mains directly ? If starting the SUN pulls the voltage that much down I would check the caps on that SUN.

While I have never tested the voltages when loading Atomiswave games, I run my setup in a regular jamma cab and have never noticed any power dip in the lights or anything else...
:D
In all fairness I do need to change out the marquee light and starter. They are a little flakey and very sensitive anyways.

Isn't the marquee running on mains directly ? If starting the SUN pulls the voltage that much down I would check the caps on that SUN.
Yep it runs off the main 120v. However the sun power supply is the first device off the line. I wonder if rewiring it and moving it to last on the

Visual inspection of the inside of the Sun PSU everything looked good, but I didnt put a meter on all of the components.

Hi,

Firstly thanks for the converted games, I've got them running happily on Reicast. However I've been trying to change the language of the games to English which I know can be done in service mode. I don't have a service button but just keep the start button on my controller pressed and this enters service mode but then I can't move around or select any options. Pressing "Start" even briefly exits service mode. has anyone been able to change options using Reicast? Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

Firstly thanks for the converted games, I've got them running happily on Reicast. However I've been trying to change the language of the games to English which I know can be done in service mode. I don't have a service button but just keep the start button on my controller pressed and this enters service mode but then I can't move around or select any options. Pressing "Start" even briefly exits service mode. has anyone been able to change options using Reicast? Any help or pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks
For the Service menu, you will need a service button and a test button, IIRC the test button puts you into test and acts as the enter key and the service button moves between the options, I believe you can only use those two buttons in the test menu and not the normal controls.

Never used Reicast so dont know if you can map these or not, just going by what happens in a normal cab.

is it possible to change soundtrack from atomiswave like on DC? I would like change HKN to tv show soundtrack. How to open .bin file?

@Darksoft

I was reading that someone released the prototype Atomiswave games for Force Five and Kenju into the wild. I was wondering if you were working on the NetBootable versions of these sir? If you want the link to the games that were posted to Facebook just IM me and I will give you the link that I saw.

Thanks!

@Darksoft

I was reading that someone released the prototype Atomiswave games for Force Five and Kenju into the wild. I was wondering if you were working on the NetBootable versions of these sir? If you want the link to the games that were posted to Facebook just IM me and I will give you the link that I saw.

Thanks!
Those copies are net boot images, which don't run properly. It is my understanding neither of those games will perform properly on the Naomi without a major amount of work to the game engine. This was the reason for me being asked to solve making aw carts (so they games could be traded for other unreleased games)

Back