What's new
Nah man i meant what are your actual voltages readings on your meters lol

So what makes the AW conversions so different from the Naomi games that causes the conversions to stall out like that ? I can use any power supply at varying voltages with any JVS and every single Naomi game, compatible with that cabinet set up, loads just fine and usually on the first try.

Is the AW conversion stalling out because it does not know what JVS it sees? Does it stall out from not having, or having, to much 3.3VDC or 5VDC? If so what is the sweet spot in either case? Is it something that can be patched out?

You could have one of 2 answers:

The probable answer: Atomiswave was designed to run on JAMMA or JVS, it has connections for both. It was never intended to work on JVS to JAMMA IO boards because there was no reason for it to work that way. The games are also modified to work on a system they weren't originally designed for.

Or you can go with answer no 2: NAOMI netbooting is very temperamental at the best of times and while there is no reason for it not to work. You probably haven't turned it on with the cabinet facing east-north east while hopping on one leg, sticking your tongue out upside down and sacrificing a stuffed toy in the name of Segata Sanshirou

The steps to get netbooting to work properly:

- Correct voltages, ESPECIALLY 3.3v

- Use a standard BIOS to prevent issues with the hacked multi BIOS. Much like the Neo multi has issues related to the hacked universe BIOS, same thing could apply here

- Make sure your zero PIC is burned correctly

- Use JVS directly rather than JAMMA IO boards if possible (seems to really cause issues with AW games)

- NAOMI 2 seems to be more difficult to netboot AW stuff on than NAOMI 1, consider having one of each if you currently have a NAOMI 2

I run a NAOMI 2 and have not had any issues with the AW conversions at all.

as @xodaraP says, a proper power supply, stable voltages, proper Zero PIC, JVS I/O powered from SAME power as NAOMI 2 so they start simultaneously, 512 MiB on the DIMM, use transfergame.exe and latest BIOS, I use the NAOMI 2 multibios with no issues at all.

And just to clarify, the AW games do not have any JVS code in them, they are patched to read data from the "JVS MCU" on the NAOMI unit.

Last edited:
the AW games do not have any JVS code in them, they are patched to read data from the "JVS MCU" on the NAOMI unit.
This makes sense. In my testing most AW games would boot with every IO board I threw at it, including no IO board at all.

I would suspect that people having issues based on their IO board are really having power issues and the different boards are consuming different amounts of power.

ATX PSUs suck for NAOMI, even "good"/expensive ATX PSUs because you can't adjust the output voltage which means you can't compensate for losses through the harness.

The questions aren't necessarily for me. However the mechanical engineer in me wants to know if this is a problem that can be fixed or if it can be pinned down to where we can figure out how to conform to what's needed.

- Correct voltages, ESPECIALLY 3.3v
When you say 3.3v .. is that exactly 3.3vdc or 3.4vdc ? Does it need to be more or less .. what is the ideal voltage? How much does the 5vdc affect any of this and what setting is ideal?

the AW games do not have any JVS code in them, they are patched to read data from the "JVS MCU" on the NAOMI unit.
This makes sense. In my testing most AW games would boot with every IO board I threw at it, including no IO board at all.
I would suspect that people having issues based on their IO board are really having power issues and the different boards are consuming different amounts of power.

ATX PSUs suck for NAOMI, even "good"/expensive ATX PSUs because you can't adjust the output voltage which means you can't compensate for losses through the harness.
Sorta .. I use two power supplies .. one for the JVS and one for the Naomi.

Ok cool .. so thats for the JVS. Which i power using a second power supply that doesnt have 3.3vdc.

What about requirements for power for the Naomi itself?

When you say 3.3v .. is that exactly 3.3vdc or 3.4vdc ? Does it need to be more or less .. what is the ideal voltage? How much does the 5vdc affect any of this and what setting is ideal?
A proper JVS Compliant PSU will allow for adjustments on both 5V and on 3.3V (12V is non-adjustable but it's irrelevant because it's only used for the cooling fans).

Here is what you need to do for the most accurate voltage setup:

take the top case off of your DIMM board and find ground and VCC points on some of the 3.3V chips and the 5V chips.

then, while measuring the voltages on these points adjust your PSU up or down until the 3.3V point = 3.31V and the 5V point you found = 5.01V

This will give you the most accurate PSU adjustment possible. When You suspect voltage issues you should ALWAYS measure from one of the ICs that is actually utilizing that voltage, because ultimately that's the only thing that matters. on a NAOMI this should be on the DIMM board because it's the furthest removed from the power source.

for fun you can go back and measure the voltage at the power connector and you'll likely see 3.4 and 5.1V respectively. There can be quite a bit of power drop between the power connector and the ICs that actually need it.

Ok cool .. so thats for the JVS. Which i power using a second power supply that doesnt have 3.3vdc.

What about requirements for power for the Naomi itself?
What do you mean power using a second power supply ? Can you show a diagram / picture ?

The NAOMI adheres to the JVS spec so the JVS spec gives the numbers.

• +5.0V, ±5%, 10A
  • +3.3V,±5%, 12A
  • +12V,±10%, 2A

I missed that 2 PSU bit... You should definitely avoid doing that.

If you DO use two two separate power supplies then
1. you MUST tie the grounds together in some way

2. you MUST NOT tie any of the 5V 3.3V or 12V lines together in anyway.

chances are the ground on your serial cable is tying the grounds together for you but that's not ideal.
There should be a 3rd, smaller, output connector on the SUN JVS PSUs and that's what you should be using to power your IO board and other accessories.

Reactions: rtw
What do you mean power using a second power supply ? Can you show a diagram / picture ?
The NAOMI adheres to the JVS spec so the JVS spec gives the numbers.
Yep I can do that .. but later. Basically I am powering the JVS through the JAMMA harness from a standard power supply and I am using the Sun power supply as a dedicated power supply to the Naomi. Not using the power connector from the JVS to the Naomi at all.

Once again .. I am not having any real issues running the games .. except Rumble fish 1 and Samurai Shodown, and now sure whats going on there. but I was wanting to dig into this for information purposes and see what the real issues are.

So going by that manual we are looking at needing ..

3.3vdc plus or minus 0.165vdc at 12A
5.0vdc plus or minus 0.25vdc at 10A
12.0vdc plus or minus 1.2vdc at 2A

to the Naomi itself.

On the JVS using a standard power supply fed in from the JAMMA connector I only really need

5.0vdc plus or minus 0.25vdc at 10A
12.0vdc plus or minus 1.2vdc at 2A

...check

I've been ignoring Naomi2 all this time because I thought it didn't work for AW...

@rtw

Here is a quick sketch of how I have it wired. I went with a second power supply to take the load off the Naomi itself. Sorry for the size but I didn't want to shrink it down.

NAOMI_WIRING_DIAGRAM.png

Reactions: rtw
@Dreygor looks good, I would have tied together ground from the two PSUs explicitly to avoid any ground loops.

On a sidenote I just tried AW Samurai Shodown 6 on my NAOMI2, no issues.

Make sure you use no more than 512 MiB of memory and test the memory in the DIMM TEST section of SETUP.

Back