What's new
https://emn178.github.io/online-tools/crc32_checksum.html

says that my version matches .. hrmmm

rumblefish_crc.png

So what makes the AW conversions so different from the Naomi games that causes the conversions to stall out like that ?
I'd imagine it may be because of different RAM ICs used in AW and NAOMI ?
unlikely its related to main RAM, as SH4 SDRAM controller configured by BIOS, and games doesn't touch it.
but in theory might be because of GPU RAM controller configuration.

on quick look I see NAOMI games initialize PVR2's SDRAM_CFG (0x005F80A8) with 0x15d1c955, while AW games set it to 0x15d1c951
the difference is "bit [3:2] = Write to Pre-charge period. Specify the number of clock cycles - 1. (default = 0x1)", which is less in AW games so it probably uses faster RAM ICs.

So what makes the AW conversions so different from the Naomi games that causes the conversions to stall out like that ?
I'd imagine it may be because of different RAM ICs used in AW and NAOMI ?unlikely its related to main RAM, as SH4 SDRAM controller configured by BIOS, and games doesn't touch it.
but in theory might be because of GPU RAM controller configuration.

on quick look I see NAOMI games initialize PVR2's SDRAM_CFG (0x005F80A8) with 0x15d1c955, while AW games set it to 0x15d1c951
the difference is "bit [3:2] = Write to Pre-charge period. Specify the number of clock cycles - 1. (default = 0x1)", which is less in AW games so it probably uses faster RAM ICs.
Thanks for info @MetalliC. For me and most people it works well with our Naomi 1 or 2 and a normal JVS. Do you think that changing that write to 5F80a8 in the conversions would increase compatibility?

Do you think that changing that write to 5F80a8 in the conversions would increase compatibility?
in theory yes, it may explain why AW conversions more sensitive to power supply voltages.

there is also other timings related configuration registers - G1 ROM/SRAM/Cart access delays, G2 bus timeout values, Maple DMA timeout, which may be different in N/AW and affect game behavior too.

Thanks for info @[u]@MetalliC[/u]. For me and most people it works well with our Naomi 1 or 2 and a normal JVS. Do you think that changing that write to 5F80a8 in the conversions would increase compatibility?
Is this something that is currently set the same in all of the AW conversions? So if it corrects the issues it would need to be fixed in all of them?

OK I figured out something that apparently is very important to all of this. I decided to over everything and check all of the voltages coming from both power supplies. Everything off the Sun power supply was fine but when I started checking my secondary power supply the voltages were low. Like around 4.6VDC and 11.8VDC. So I adjusted them up to 5.2VDC and well since ya can't adjust the 12VDC it is what it is. However now the US Sega/Capcom JVS is now getting the voltage it needs.

And...

YzabFuyl.jpg

6T7JPS8l.jpg

9RTmIXUl.jpg

LIBhXjNl.jpg

All booted on the first try on a Naomi 2 and it's consistant. So in addition to the voltages on your Naomis you may want to double check the actual voltage to the JVS itself.

OK I went and did a little more testing just to make sure everything was running good.

Figured since it is a Naomi 2 I should check Virtual Fighter 4 Final Tuned ver B (well that's a mouth full)

sfuMKkvl.jpg

..and then check the largest game available. .. Melty Blood Actress Again. One note I need to add here is that v6 would not load. I had to use v1 and it worked just fine.

aTVaVoql.jpg

OK I figured out something that apparently is very important to all of this. I decided to over everything and check all of the voltages coming from both power supplies. Everything off the Sun power supply was fine but when I started checking my secondary power supply the voltages were low. Like around 4.6VDC and 11.8VDC. So I adjusted them up to 5.2VDC and well since ya can't adjust the 12VDC it is what it is. However now the US Sega/Capcom JVS is now getting the voltage it needs.

And...

great-success-gif.gif

All booted on the first try on a Naomi 2 and it's consistant. So in addition to the voltages on your Naomis you may want to double check the actual voltage to the JVS itself.
Yeah man, it's them voltages. The SUN PSU is the business when it comes to running Naomi for sure.
It's almost the perfect option if you can find one that's not wrecked.

Oh and P.S... That AtomisWave cab tho... :o

..and then check the largest game available. .. Melty Blood Actress Again. One note I need to add here is that v6 would not load. I had to use v1 and it worked just fine.
I can confirm that v6 does not work for me either

I don't know about the Net Boot Image but I have an original Melty Blood Actress Again Cart and it will not run unless I'm using a Japanese Region BIOS (it will boot with the multi bios in Japanese region mode).

Even the cart version of this game is super finicky it usually takes me 2-3 tries boot, no idea if it's a voltage thing, a dirty connector thing or something else. Definitely one of the more picky carts I own.

I don't know about the Net Boot Image but I have an original Melty Blood Actress Again Cart and it will not run unless I'm using a Japanese Region BIOS (it will boot with the multi bios in Japanese region mode).

Even the cart version of this game is super finicky it usually takes me 2-3 tries boot, no idea if it's a voltage thing, a dirty connector thing or something else. Definitely one of the more picky carts I own.
The cart only works on a Japanese BIOS by design, the country byte is set for only Japan. The netboot image sets this to 0xff.

My personal experience with NAOMI carts is that they work a lot better outside their shell :D

the country byte is set for only Japan. The netboot image sets this to 0xff.
can this be modified for other games? there are a few netboot images that will only work with the JP region:

Capcom Vs SNK 2K Pro
Guilty Gear XX Reload
Jingy Storm
Metly Blood Act Cadenza A
New Japan Pro Rewstling Toukon Retsuden
Nomiso Kone Kone Puzzle Takoron
Rythm Tengoku
Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper
Tokyo Bus Tour
VF4 Evo
VF4 Evo Ver B

the country byte is set for only Japan. The netboot image sets this to 0xff.
can this be modified for other games? there are a few netboot images that will only work with the JP region:

Capcom Vs SNK 2K Pro
Guilty Gear XX Reload
Jingy Storm
Metly Blood Act Cadenza A
New Japan Pro Rewstling Toukon Retsuden
Nomiso Kone Kone Puzzle Takoron
Rythm Tengoku
Street Fighter Zero 3 Upper
Tokyo Bus Tour
VF4 Evo
VF4 Evo Ver B
Well it can, but the game might not work due to missing assets, easiest way is to try, just change byte: 0x428 to 0xff.

Melty Blood Version A is actually broken, if you select the fighter called Kohaku the game will crash.

I cant get new japan wrestling to boot regardless of region.

glad to hear that.
may I clarify - before you did voltage tweaks only Atomiswave games not booted, but Naomi ones was working ?

Yeah, before I tweaked the voltages just about every Naomi game worked just fine, BUT I only adjusted the JVS power supply voltage. I had already checked all the voltages to the Naomi itself coming from the Sun PSU and they were fine to start with.

So this leads me to wonder how/why was this affecting the booting of the game. The JVS still checked out in test mode and showed that it was active and had power prior to the adjustment. I wouldn't have thought on a JVS it would have been that big of a deal. What are the AW conversion looking for from the JVS that would trigger this? Didn't @Darksoft say the AW conversions are pulling their information for the JVS from the Naomi itself and not directly from the JVS? So what would it care if the JVS has low voltage. I am confused lol.

Back