What's new
The dumping union is not this "boys club" you are looking for sadly, don't tar us all with the same brush please.

DU Members are free to do what they want with there stuff and time unless it's paid for with donations or with other conditions (loaned boards etc).
My mistake, I thought this was sanctioned by the whole DU. Nevermind!

The important question, so now the dumps for these two games have been "leaked". Will "official" dumps (that work as intended) be released soon?

I seriously doubt you would invest time and / or money for absolutely nothing.
I can confirm that hundreds of people including myself have volunteerily donated PCBs, money and their time to get undumped games preserved and running on MAME. Benefit of it for us, other than preserving the game... ZERO.

One thing I don't understand is if everyone would just release their games then there would be no reason to "trade" for them...but I guess it's just all part of the "game".
Some people know that they have valuable games and treat them as an investment and will not share them.

Can someone please screen cap the Neo Geo thread for those of us who are avoiding the drama over there.

Can someone please screen cap the Neo Geo thread for those of us who are avoiding the drama over there.
There is nothing going on. It's a 4 year old thread with the last useful post a link to, you guessed it, A-P, @brizzo's Romeo and Juliet thread (that link being from November 2017).

Cool. If someone can screen cap it, that would be great, would like to read it for myself.

I knew that @ShouTime put a lot of money on getting games dumped, but didnt know that so much!
It is a lot more than what he said in that thread. The ~$40k for the AW project was mostly covered by me.

You're smart guys, I seriously doubt you would invest time and / or money for absolutely nothing.
Apparently we're not actually that smart. I've spent a heinous amount of time solving how to dump secured devices as we still have so many unemulated games because of protected ICs. But the reward is knowing these games are preserved as part of history.

And to be clear, majority of the preservation work I do is independent and not as some organized structure of any group.

Let me give another example of how dumping and holding can be a benefit. Several years ago I was told the story about how the 68705 protected mcu from Chack'n Pop was lost/damaged/unrecovered. This chip being lost ruined relationship with a top tier private collector. I set out to build a glitching/dumping kit for this mcu so if we could get access to another boardset, it could be dumped on site without shipping (pcb is worth approx ~$10k USD). Until we were able to get access to chack'n pop, we tested dumping any other 68705s we could find (many taito games used them, and were undumped).

None of these dumps were released, until Chack'n Pop was completed and a replacement MCU was presented to the collector who originally loaned and lost one to another dumper. This was done as a gesture to show our primary interest was to make things right again.

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthread...mber=366886&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&vc=1

https://mamedev.emulab.it/haze/2017/06/22/fall-of-the-m68705/

Not every project is black and white, that we just dump and have to release the files immediately. There's lots of things I've dumped and published same day, but sometimes projects have special circumstances.

It is a lot more than what he said in that thread. The ~$40k for the AW project was mostly covered by me.
Oh dear....
d7c2af881a4631aba174cc17034b7371.jpg

Jeez man, $40k of your own money?!!?

Wow, history and us nerds thank you, but seriously man, I hope you can afford to do that!

Jeez man, $40k of your own money?!!?
no surprise.

here is one of similar examples - recently was acquired two last missing TGP CPU firmwares from Sega Model 1 games - Virtua Fighter and Star Wars. so, all Model1 games now emulated, no HLE-simulation anymore.
https://github.com/mamedev/mame/commit/bdc90e3a8f1f9a68eb72d8e0a22dfdd206855d77
as you may read in this commit discussion - it took more than year of work to "extract" firmware data from die shots, check for mistakes, fix them, etc.
year of work (in spare time) by very skilled / senior engineer from 1st-World country. you may imagine how much money it would cost (or he may gain) if doing some paid work instead.

PS: don't get me wrong, not bitching or smth, just trying to tell - quite often dumping/research/preservation/etc projects is much expensive.

Hrm .. I understand the downside of what happened .. but now the stuff is out there .. but the question remains is can @Darksoft hook a 3rd cousin (twice removed) up with a pimped version that is correctly made for netbooting? Buggy or not I would still love to play them.

@Dreygor short answer: there is no sense

longer version:
these conversions suffers from significant slowdowns here and there, afaik that's the only problem. it is unknown why this happen and I have no ideas why.
ofc, you may poke Darksoft, he in it's turn as usual will poke me, and it will ends with nothing (read above - no ideas about the cause of problem = unknown what should be fixed)

I tested a CF version of Kenju years ago but I never even got it to boot. I've had in recent days several people contact me hiding their personal info trying to purchase a cf card with the game for use with Naomi.

Sorry to say there is no working version.
I've never played the game either.

Back