What's new
Hello,

Generally speaking, i am good friend with everyone, but that guy , Jorg, i dont know/ not friend of/ him. :)

Have a good evening, Dragos.

For anyone that's interested...

I bought a Quiz Gakumon PCB on YAJ for about $40+shipping/fees to swap to TMNT2
There is 1 PALs that needs to be replaced with a GALs, it's been dumped and is in the JAMMA Arcade PLD archive.
Then replace 10 ROMs with MAME dumps.
The "magic", I guess, is that after you've replaced the ROMs and the PAL you need to hold down the test button on boot to clear the system memory.

For chips you'll need
4x 27c010
1x 27c160 (50ns)
2x 27c400 [there are 4 of these on the PCB but Mask ROMs 3K and 7K hold identical data between TMNT2 and Quiz Gakumon and don't need to be replaced]
1x 27c512
2x 27c800
1x GAL22V10

It should be obvious which chip goes where. The real magic is spending the time to desolder 200+ pins to remove the pals and mask ROMs. I ended up socketing them all because I didn't want to have to re-do anything if I had problems with any of my chips.

I did actually play this game a bit before converting it... i found it to be an exceptionally boring quiz game.

But, if anyone genuinely feels that the Quiz Gakumon boards are worth saving then I have a deal for you. Mine came with artworks and a manual and if you want them for preservation... they're yours free of charge.

EDIT: updated the above information to reflect the fact that the PAL16 doesn't need to be replaced, nor does the 3K or 7K Mask ROMs

Last edited:

I bought a Quiz Gakumon PCB on YAJ for about $40+shipping/fees
There are 2 PALs that need to be replaced with GALs, both have been dumped and are in the JAMMA Arcade PLD archive.
Then replace the 12 ROMs with MAME dumps.
The "magic", I guess, is that after you've replaced the ROMs and the PALs you need to hold down the test button on boot to clear the system memory.

For chips you'll need
4x 27c010
1x 27c160 (50ns)
4x 27c400
1x 27c512
2x 27c800
1x GAL16V8
1x GAL22V10

It should be obvious which chip goes where. The real magic is spending the time to desolder 300+ pins to remove the pals and mask ROMs. I ended up socketing them all because I didn't want to have to re-do anything if I had problems with any of my chips.

I did actually play this game a bit before converting it... i found it to be an exceptionally boring quiz game.

But, if anyone genuinely feels that the Quiz Gakumon boards are worth saving then I have a deal for you. Mine came with artworks and a manual and if you want them for preservation... they're yours free of charge.
I'm pretty sure you've swapped it for TMNT2, since they share the same board, but I'd love to know if you tried any other game such as Sunset Riders or Parodius Da!

I'm pretty sure you've swapped it for TMNT2, since they share the same board, but I'd love to know if you tried any other game such as Sunset Riders or Parodius Da!
yes, I swapped to TMNT2 (specifically the USA 2-player set).

I haven't tried other games but I suppose since I have everything socketed it'd just be a matter of burning another set of chips to see if it works. I don't have the ability to make my own GALs though. Another kind soul did that for me since my current burner is incapable. Though there's also the matter of the custom 054358 on Sunset riders that isn't present on Quiz Gakumon. and if the PLDs are dumped for those other games.

EDIT: looking through the MAME source it seems as though Parodius uses a different CPU so that's probably not a good candidate. Surprise Attack looks like it uses the same customs and CPU as Parodius. It also looks as though Sunset Riders is the only other game on this hardware with both PALs dumped (though I suppose it's possible there are some games use the same PAL)

Last edited:
T, if you need help burning anything your programmer cant let me know. I am sure one of my units can do what you need.

I love this project. @Mitsurugi-w do you think you can help @twistedsymphony ??
T, if you need help burning anything your programmer cant let me know. I am sure one of my units can do what you need.
I think there is some confusion... the conversion is already done and running...

23507059_1743490192626922_2535463050463412224_n.jpg

unless you're talking about trying other games such as Sunset Riders.
I'll gladly see if the SR ROMs work in this board but I'd need someone to burn the GALs for me.

unless you're talking about trying other games such as Sunset Riders.
I'll gladly see if the SR ROMs work in this board but I'd need someone to burn the GALs for me.
Yup, on future stuff you want to try ;)

Happy you did the conversion, the prices the original boards are fetching these days is insane.

It's true, I was bidding on a broken TMNT1 on YAJ this morning BROKEN it sold for $260 that's before fees and shipping... W... T... F...

I love these games but the pricing is highly overrated.

Last edited:
looking at the PLD archive again it's claiming that one of the Sunset Rider's dumps is bad, but there is also a dump from a bootleg, which is interesting.

looking at the PLD archive again it's claiming that one of the Sunset Rider's dumps is bad, but there is also a dump from a bootleg, which is interesting.
That bootleg could be very interesting yes... See the "problem" with the Sunset/TMNT2 PCB is they have way too many custom revisions/chips between games.
So many that converting in any meaningful way is totally lost sadly. :(

What we need, and where the bootleg could potentially help... ROMs that have all the custom protection chip code removed/stripped out.
Then it would be a matter of matching a lot less custom chips (but would still require a few because of custom scaling and co-processor use).

It's true, I was bidding on a broken TMNT1 on YAJ this morning BROKEN it sold for $260 that's before fees and shipping... W... T... F...

I love these games but the pricing is highly overrated.
I put in a small bid on it, too. Checked this morning and was like "whelp, not even close on that one!" :D
-ud

I bought a Quiz Gakumon PCB on YAJ for about $40+shipping/fees to swap to TMNT2
There are 2 PALs that need to be replaced with GALs, both have been dumped and are in the JAMMA Arcade PLD archive.
Then replace the 12 ROMs with MAME dumps.
The "magic", I guess, is that after you've replaced the ROMs and the PALs you need to hold down the test button on boot to clear the system memory.

For chips you'll need
4x 27c010
1x 27c160 (50ns)
4x 27c400
1x 27c512
2x 27c800
1x GAL16V8
1x GAL22V10

It should be obvious which chip goes where. The real magic is spending the time to desolder 300+ pins to remove the pals and mask ROMs. I ended up socketing them all because I didn't want to have to re-do anything if I had problems with any of my chips.

You actually don't have to replace the 20 pin PAL, just the 24 pin one with a GAL22V10.

Also, if your Gakumon board is like mine was the '08' and '10' mask roms are from TMNT2 and don't have to be replaced either.

It seems that Konami did in house conversions from TMNT2 to Gakumon and all boards I've seen in YAJ are like this.

'08' and '10' mask roms are from TMNT2 and don't have to be replaced either.
I'm not sure which Mask ROMs you're referring to. they all seem to be labeled based on their coordinates on the PCB (so looking at it with the JAMMA edge on the left... "1*" chips are on the top with "16*" chips on the bottom and "*A" chips are on the left with "*L" chips on the right)
EEPROMs are
2F
8E
8G
10E
10G

Mask ROMs are:
D1
3L
7L

It honestly doesn't surprise me. if QG doesn't use them all, I was scratching my head as to why such a graphically simple game needed so much space. looking at the difference in code for the GAL22V10 there is almost no difference. I almost wonder if the only thing it does is disable the Mask ROMs that it doesn't' use.

'08' and '10' mask roms are from TMNT2 and don't have to be replaced either.
I'm not sure which Mask ROMs you're referring to. they all seem to be labeled based on their coordinates on the PCB (so looking at it with the JAMMA edge on the left... "1*" chips are on the top with "16*" chips on the bottom and "*A" chips are on the left with "*L" chips on the right)EEPROMs are
2F
8E
8G
10E
10G

Mask ROMs are:
D1
3L
7L

It honestly doesn't surprise me. if QG doesn't use them all, I was scratching my head as to why such a graphically simple game needed so much space. looking at the difference in code for the GAL22V10 there is almost no difference. I almost wonder if the only thing it does is disable the Mask ROMs that it doesn't' use.
I'm referring to two of the four sprites ROMs (063b08 and 063b10) - the text is silk screened on the mask ROMs.

Code:
	ROM_LOAD32_WORD( "063b10.7k", 0x200000, 0x080000, CRC(f2dd296e) SHA1(a2aad10bfb0904dd73c2ee11049648c94de7f4d5) )
	ROM_LOAD32_WORD( "063b08.3k", 0x200002, 0x080000, CRC(3b1ae36f) SHA1(9e69cae8b517497ac77c4d148f56f2bb6a23de89) )
'063' is TMNT2, whereas '248' is QG.

gotcha... those are the chips in the 7K and 3K position.

it makes sense that those would be different IIRC they were a different shade of black from the rest of the Mask ROMs

so which other games can we convert a Quiz Gakumon Pcb into?
I mean without having to hack the roms.

Back