What's new

TheBortot

Enthusiast
Reaction score
got a cps2 A board that inverts the image upside-down and has no sound. The fan is not working and i plugged it out, and indeed it`s not a contact issue. It`s not working.
Tested the same game in another cps2 A and works well. I think the fan is not the issue, but someone saw this situation of image before? searched in the forum and net, got no clue.

Have you hit the Service button and checked the system options? There's settings in there for inverting the image and muting the sound. I think the settings saved on the A Board, so it would make sense that your B Board would work correctly on a different A Board.

Also, the A Board fans are a common failure - you can grab a replacement fan and wire it up easily.

I`ll try what u said as soon as i arrive home. Thx!

Last edited:
Hi,

I have had A boards have no sound due to a protection mode or something.

1. Push and hold the volume down button on the A board while you power it up.
2. Keep holding it down until you see the game's title screen
3. Then try to adjust the volume.

For some reason I have had this issue before and thought that I blew my sound chip. However, after reading and searching online, the CPS2 A board probably goes into a sound protection/ safe mode. It seems as though it disable the sound completely.

Sometimes CPS2 board sets just get weird with their volume controls and this will reset it. I have done the technique to help my own setup and a friends.

Hope this helps you.

PS: You TEST menu should allow you to change the video from INVERTED or NORMAL. Just look through your TEST menu options.

solved the flipped image, but no sound. sound is set to 50 in the service. The messages about ram and Q-sound at the beginning is ``ok``. Tried to hold the volume down and adjust after, but nothing =(.

hm, i`m at the sound and voice option in service, and now the volume is set 39. but the thing is: i just press the ``up`` and ``down`` buttons in A board and i don`t see the volume changing. So weird! Saw in the net that sometimes when u dont play the game for a while, the sound adjusts itself to maximum, but in this case was set to a lower volume.

If the Up and Down buttons on your A Board are unresponsive then it might be a problem with the button contacts directly on the A Board - which would also mean your board never received the "sound reset" signal triggered by holding Volume Down while powering up.

Try taking the case and plastic buttons off of your A Board and accessing the button contacts directly.

even directly turning down the volume up/down, the sound volume at the service didn`t change. Tested the buttons pressed/not pressed with multimeter and they are working. Hm, i don`t know if u all know, but i got something curious. I`m testing a green A board and the sound just turns on when i press the coins. But in my another A board (yellow one - ``rental``), the sound just starts when `` Q sound`` appears at screen. Well, i thought at first that there was no sound problem at all, but indeed, even the sound test at the service was not working and then it worked when i used the volumes soldering some wires to the kick harness.

Hm, i figured out something different between the yellow and the green one. There`s a jumper in the yellow one - connects the point `` D3`` to the chip ``34ijlr hc04a```, at the first pin(the nearest to the light-green cap). Maybe it`s the region free? Do u know why this was made?

at least, the sound issue between green and yellow that i told i just tested in my only game for now - street fighter zero 2 alpha(brazil).

Back