What's new
5V on one of the lines was a little low, but I didn't take much notice.

I'll measure all outputs again and post results...

As @xodaraP mentions, I'm eluding to the belief that I don't think the design was fully finalised / solid and I believe due to the nature of what happened he may have made some (other) mistakes in a rush to release the design.

Suspicions confirmed.

Installed a 1 amp voltage regulator and it works fine.

Forgive the Frankenstein approach, it wasn't easy shoehorning in a through hole regulator on tiny smd pads.
70504671_10218162061736055_9207655673481920512_n.jpg
70730365_10218162251540800_5153704740789420032_n.jpg

I'm really pissed off. Who the hell uses a 0.1 amp regulator to power a CD drive!? I won't publicly rant, so that's all you'll hear from me on the subject.

I will say - DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT.

Two things need to happen to the PCB design, a higher rated 9V voltage regulator and replace the switch with a better one or just use jumper shunts.

It will work as is in Type C and D power supplied consoles, but not in Type A or B.

Someone needs to put the word out. @RetroRGB @SmokeMonster

These retro Saturn PSUs are flawed.

@Frank_fjs you are tha man! :thumbsup:

Great you had a 1A regulator in stock to test it!
So if someone would replace the existing 0.1A component with a suitabel 1.0A SMD component (if even available in this small footprint..., TO-261-4 or TO-263-4 package perhaps?), could this cause any damage you think? Other components or traces that are too limited and might be overheating during use?

I don't believe there's a suitably rated voltage regulator in a SOT-89 package.

I'm also uncertain of what the minimum rated amps should be. Guessing at least 0.5 amps but really don't know.

The PCB needs a redesign.

What the heck, nicely done mate! I am completely flabbergasted he released a design which is clearly not properly working (at least not for all scenario's, perhaps for the ODE - unsure until we test it).

@Frank_fjs are you going to email Chris about this?

I can't work out how to contact Chris.

I sent a form on his retropsu site but he hasn't responded.

I'm not familiar with Github but have signed up and put in a pull request.

In all honesty, I think a better approach would be to utilise an ATX Pico power supply, and design a sub PCB that the Pico docks into. Sub PCB takes care of 9V, power switch, connections to the Saturn console etc. Really simple and still elegant.

Benefit being Pico's are properly designed and engineered, output more power, have less noise, have safety / protection circuitry and are cheap.

Exactly like that!

That is perfect.

Also that add mentions this, might explain why the 3D print didn't fit your console that well...

Please make sure you tell me which sort of DC socket you need for the back of your console. I have two models (all in black with a polished finish, see pictures). One is for the VA0 and the other is for all other models VA1-VA15). Thanks to collingall for the design of the socket.

Another oversight, some Saturn's use 12V and not 9V, Chris has made no provision for this.

It's a poorly executed product.

Sad that people lost money on this. Sadder still that even if it came to fruition, it wouldn't function properly on 2/3rds of console revisions.

I can't work out how to contact Chris.

I sent a form on his retropsu site but he hasn't responded.

I'm not familiar with Github but have signed up and put in a pull request.
chris[at]dreampsu.com, worth a shot... I believe the Github pull request would ping him as well though.

I abandoned the Dream PSU long time ago. Think the Pico PSU is a better approach as it’s a fully engineered PSU made by experts. An open source PCB has been released for the Dreamcast. I am sure the Saturn will get one soon. Just plug the Pico PSU into the open source PCB. Mount it in the console. Away you go.

I feel the Dream PSU is a failed hobbyist project and will be prone to unseen issues that no one shall support. Save yourselves the trouble and let the dream end.

I think the Pico PSU is a better approach as it’s a fully engineered PSU made by experts.
Totally agree.

Although, I'm keeping my console PSUs stock. They were also engineered by experts and designed specifically for the task at hand.

I abandoned the Dream PSU long time ago. Think the Pico PSU is a better approach as it’s a fully engineered PSU made by experts. An open source PCB has been released for the Dreamcast. I am sure the Saturn will get one soon. Just plug the Pico PSU into the open source PCB. Mount it in the console. Away you go.

I feel the Dream PSU is a failed hobbyist project and will be prone to unseen issues that no one shall support. Save yourselves the trouble and let the dream end.
I have this ... but i think the dream psu ode will be fine . i need to buy a pico unit ? I've get it from Greg Collins's shop

Attachments

• j6QUA-xR.jpg-large.jpeg
    j6QUA-xR.jpg-large.jpeg
    468.6 KB · Views: 217
Last edited:
I don't want to hate, but I never understood the appeal for these PSUs. Instead of connecting your console directly to a wall socket, you need an external PSU - seems like a downgrade to me.

I agree that the stock PSU is the way to go. It can be recapped if needed and will most likely live longer than the "modern" replacement.

When you think about it, these 'modern' PSUs aren't even compact, they simply move the components to the outside of the console. Take apart the external DC power supply and include the retro PSU PCB, and you have a much larger footprint than the stock PSU.

Also, it's expensive! Cost of modern PSU plus wiring, connectors, 3D printed parts, DC power supply etc, it costs more than a second hand console!

I agree, stock PSU all the way. Sega used quality caps in them, and if you're worried about it spend $5 and 15 minutes recapping it.

I actually quite like my DreamPSU. Easy install, less heat. To me, moving the heat-generating parts to a wall wart is preferable. I can understand that may not be the case for others, but it works fine for me.

Back