What's new
I have several Dreamcasts (my fave console of all time). The one with the GDEmu installed and stock PSU runs hot. It has twisted's tray too. Shocked me how hot it was when I opened the CD lid and a puff of hot air could be felt on my skin/face. My Dreamcast w/GDEmu will be spending much of its time in a cab. Heat is a concern for me. The spare I have for typical console use, ISO's and such, don't run as hot in comparison.
This is due to the lack of load on the 12v line without the GDRom Drive installed...
Just removing the 12v regulator should fix it...

Details here: https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/461ohk/how_to_remove_12v_from_dreamcast_for_gdemu_and/

@citrus3000psi can confirm?

Just removing the 12v regulator should fix it
NTSC DC PSU
ChAxtql.jpg

Well damn thats easy! Thanks @nam9 I'm going to do this when I get home tonight.

I have several Dreamcasts (my fave console of all time). The one with the GDEmu installed and stock PSU runs hot. It has twisted's tray too. Shocked me how hot it was when I opened the CD lid and a puff of hot air could be felt on my skin/face. My Dreamcast w/GDEmu will be spending much of its time in a cab. Heat is a concern for me. The spare Dreamcasts I have for typical console use, ISO's and such, don't run as hot in comparison. Of course, hot is a relative term. Might be a revision thing too. Who knows. It is a worthwhile pursuit for me to move the heat producing AC-to-DC out of the console. Don't care about the aesthetics as much as the function. I'll hang onto the OEM parts if I ever need to go back.
I'm the same. My DC is using the USB-GDROM, and when it was running on the original PSU w/ the resistor installed on the 12v line, it was still running a lot of heat. I assume that it's supposed to run lower under load, and without the GD-Rom in there it's just spinning heat up due to loadless power supplying.

I switched to the DreamPSU and it has been running great and cool ever since.

But if I wanted to revert back to stock, I can easily do so...

Welp I did the mod (removed 12v regulator and resistor) posted above...
So far so good, DC turned on and loaded GD Menu just fine/like always.

I'm going to let it run for a few hours on the Jet Grind Radio demo, see how hot she gets.

*Update*
I let it run for about 2.5 hours, and it really didn't feel all that hot.
I can't really say how this compares to DreamPSU, but it was a super easy mod to preform.
Is there a corresponding fix for the Saturn?
Yes!
Can someone point us to the 12v regulator on the Jap/Euro/USA Saturn PSU's?
Is it that simple in Saturn's case? Dose removing 12v affect other components aside from the disc drive?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

Im one of the buyers waiting for dreampdu and saturnpsu.
Does anyone know how this whole case is gonna be solved?

Getting back the money seems to be fair
but impossible... :/

Thanks for Info
Plx

1. Write it down as a personal loss
  2. Move on and explore alternatives:
    1. Pico PSU is an option, a better option
    2. Removing the 12v regulator is another option
    3. Add case fans
As a Seabiscuit/longshot, someone in the scene might pick up the mantle and solve Dream/Saturn PSU's hiccups. But don't hold your breath on this. Time to move on from this.

My solution for reducing heat / the electical heat smell on a Dreamcast using genuine GDEMU:

@xodaraP converted my 100v Dreamcasts to 240v by changing a capacitor
Added a 330w / 1A resistor on both of the stock PSU's after
Added a 3D Printed Tray

Everything is cold as ice and functions cool, calm and correctly.

My two Japanese Saturn consoles (one with a Rhea and one with a Phoebe) do not suffer from any sort of heat / electrical smell issues whatsoever.

Hello,

Im one of the buyers waiting for dreampdu and saturnpsu.

Getting back the money seems to be fair
but impossible... :/

Thanks for Info
Plx
Unfortunately it's not going to be solved, Chris has stated he can't issue any more refunds, so we all lost our money.

Chris did however release the files for both the Dreamcast and the Saturn PSU's, however as @Frank_fjs stated earlier he found an issue with the Saturn version if you use a GDROM drive, ODE not confirmed yet.

I tell ya I'm a big fan of this "remove the 12v regulator" mod on Dreamcast, can we get something like that for Saturn?
(aka who cares about blah blah PSU)

Ok, so what alternatives do we have for the Saturn?
Read back a few post where I posted a link to an Ebay add for a PicoPSU.
Or just leave it stock as is ;)

But if you have a rev 2/3 PSU it should work just fine I think with the SaturnPSU

I have a jap Saturn, and I dont wanna buy a power converter - so I liked the idea to use the StaturnPSU.

So if I get it right, the picoPSU is the best alternative for DC and SAT?

I've not looked into it however I do believe the DreamPSU is fine.

Avoid the SaturnPSU.

Pico is the way to go with Saturn.

Ahm, well, I cannot GET the DreamPSU, although I paid for it... ;)

EDIT: maybe someone can buld one for me, too!?

It's an unfortunate situation.

If I had more confidence in the product I'd be happy to build a few but after seeing the poor design first hand I'm not touching these PSUs ever again.

Pico solutions seem to be growing. It wouldn't be much work to design a daughterboard that interconnects the Pico to the console. People have already done it, but it would be nice to have our own open source solution.

It's an unfortunate situation.

If I had more confidence in the product I'd be happy to build a few but after seeing the poor design first hand I'm not touching these PSUs ever again.

Pico solutions seem to be growing. It wouldn't be much work to design a daughterboard that interconnects the Pico to the console. People have already done it, but it would be nice to have our own open source solution.
Sir, can this be used for the Pico solution ? Thank you! ^^

Back