What's new
To be fair to the guy when he did the first round of Dream PSU's they went from initial concept to delivered product in a fairly reasonable timescale with good updates throughout.

The Saturn PSU has been a nightmare for reasons outwith his control so I don't think it's necessarily fair to bag on him personally for it, he has clearly been stitched up by his manufacturer in China just as all of us who pre-ordered. I'm pretty sure he was apprehensive initially about doing a second batch of Dream PSUs, I think it is safe to say once the current orders are fulfilled he will be done for good this time.

I ordered two Saturn PSU and I have updates from time to time too he's willing to let us know everything that's very honest imho. That sucks he has to deal with silent manufacturer. I prefer to know he's in good health whatever the outcome of this project. This is hobby, and shit happens, I wouldn't blame him whatever happens.

I ordered 2 Dreamcast and 2 Saturn psu. I dont mind the wait, and completely understand that shit happens and in no way am I blaming him. But, when I hear things like:

"So what has been happening?
Nothing but unanswered emails. The last email i received from the manufacturer was on the 23rd January, since then i have emailed them on the 24th January, the 15th February, the 22nd February and then i emailed them this Sunday night, I can tell you now, i have not received one response to any of those emails. Initially i figured this was due to Chinese new year, but they have had plenty of opportunities to reply since and i haven’t heard a thing.
I have no idea what to do. From this day forward i will be sending an email every night to the manufacturer until i get a reply because as it stands right now, there is nothing i can do short of jumping on a plane to China and knocking there front door."

Its time for him to start thinking about finding another reputable pcb manufacturer to complete his current orders. If things work out with his current manufacturer and he gets the ordered units made, then he can sell those on further down the road. As of now it doesnt seem like his current guy is going to come through with those orders since they have not responded to him in over 2 months. I have no reason to doubt he will try to do the right thing whichever way things turn out.

Another 2 months and...nothing. I commented on the indiegogo campaign that if it looks like this will not happen, and he doesnt seem to be looking to get these made with another manufacturer then why doesnt he just release the gerber files/bom list so that backers can at least get these made themselves.

I got an update May 8, update #28. did you read that? he seems pretty f'd up.

I was on the fence about doing this one. I hate doing kickstarters because a lot of people get burned. More end up perfectly fine than don't but still. I've chalked the money up as gone long time ago. Don't even care to get my money back.

Sometimes shit happens. And I know how you can get screwed dealing with Chinese places. Few people know that for the first batch of ST-V multis we wired money to get the first batch started to a Chinese assembly house and they took the money and ran. We had to take the loss of several thousands of dollars. We just didn't tell anyone in order to not worry people. Took a long time to turn a profit on ST-V but everyone got their carts ok in the end. Unfortunately not many can take cash from their own accounts to fund something like this if shit goes wrong.

Few people know that for the first batch of ST-V multis we wired money to get the first batch started to a Chinese assembly house and they took the money and ran. We had to take the loss of several thousands of dollars. We just didn't tell anyone in order to not worry people. Took a long time to turn a profit on ST-V but everyone got their carts ok in the end. Unfortunately not many can take cash from their own accounts to fund something like this if shit goes wrong.
More reason that I appreciate you guys. I have two STV Multi carts, love them.

It's sad that after the success of the DreamPSU, everything had to go wrong with the SaturnPSU... but that's the thing with crowdfunding, you are not buying a product but investing in a project

I'm not really pissed in this one, I got really pissed with other campaigns like the vaporware Atari VCS one, oh well..

Anyway.. I still didn't lose the hope in this one :)

there's a difference if you order through his web shop or if you order though kickstarter or indiegogo. There you have no right to get the product whatsoever. You are funding a project, not buying a product

Anyway, i got my money back from the Atari campaign after claiming it. But I knew they had no obligation to do it.

Ah great, in the last update he states he can't send any more refunds, and the product will probably never be produced... nice :)

I don't care about a refund, but I like that he suggested releasing the schematic and bom. i'll take that...

Yeah - hopefully he does that... I have backed enough kickstarters that have failed to know that it’s a gamble every time I preorder....

Some work, some don’t....

Yup, I have been emailing constantly about releasing the files, hopefully he does.

So...who is gonna organize a group order :)

I could make some by hand, but it's not like I have a wave soldering machine or anything that could handle bulk... ;)

Back