What's new
It could indeed.

I'd be inclined to go for something more compact, a 20 pin Pico maybe.

For DC all the voltages are available from the Pico. For Saturn all that's needed is a 9V regulator.

It could indeed.

I'd be inclined to go for something more compact, a 20 pin Pico maybe.

For DC all the voltages are available from the Pico. For Saturn all that's needed is a 9V regulator.
i have both 3 options on hands for DC (Chris2600 pico psu,pico dreamcast unit and for this i'm looking for a pico psu and also i can remove that components from the stock psu without problems) ... but , in the hope i solder right my DreamPSU board and will not be necessary to use the Chris2600 pico psu option (i have the board but i don't have a pico for it) .
Again ... if the smd's are on the correct position , hope the DreamPSU i've solder will be fine for my VA1 DC console. Thank you sir !

Also, if you guys need to compile by yourself a DreamPSU unit, @PascalP have some uncompiled - components + boards (for that you will need to install eagle and load the board project there to see where the parts must be soldered) . Mine wasn't checked yet because i don't have an adapter for this purpose yet , but i'll buy one (until i will buy one , my only option is to go with on a friend who have all i need to check it) . I'll report my feedback here anyway.

Attachments

• IMG_20190917_082526_resized_20190917_082717339.jpg
    IMG_20190917_082526_resized_20190917_082717339.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Suspicions confirmed.

Installed a 1 amp voltage regulator and it works fine.

Forgive the Frankenstein approach, it wasn't easy shoehorning in a through hole regulator on tiny smd pads.

I'm really pissed off. Who the hell uses a 0.1 amp regulator to power a CD drive!? I won't publicly rant, so that's all you'll hear from me on the subject.

I will say - DO NOT USE THIS PRODUCT.

Two things need to happen to the PCB design, a higher rated 9V voltage regulator and replace the switch with a better one or just use jumper shunts.

It will work as is in Type C and D power supplied consoles, but not in Type A or B.

Someone needs to put the word out. @RetroRGB @SmokeMonster

These retro Saturn PSUs are flawed.
Picked up your assembled SaturnPSU's Frank, thanks again! I've just tried one, I have a Type B Saturn (as per https://github.com/PSUThings/PSU/blob/master/Saturn/DesignFiles/PSU-ID.pdf) so I need to have the switch set to 3.3v, and with my ODE, it works perfectly fine! Been playing for quite some time and didn't have any issues at all. Actually quite happy with it until now :)

So I guess the design only doesn't work in type A Saturns?

Glad to hear!

It doesn't work with stock CD drives as there's not enough power.

Ah yeah almost forgot the CD drive is the issue.. let's just say it got way later than I meant to as I didn't have a prepared SD card to test with at hand X/

While the 3d print doesn't sit flush, I don't think it looks bad when installed.

Hello people.

Dreamcast PSU has been finished and it is ready now. I have been some heat tests and it looks good.

As i said before, i have left the aluminium case and designed the new one.. I will share the details soon.

But i can tell you, the new case will be metal and plastic ;)

please check the power's pictures

9KmPLf5.jpg

QUYGuTy.jpg

FBXP0Lj.jpg

mD9qE36.jpg

Looks great! I would love to get a custom designed dreamcast case that accounts for this and a GDEMU!

Can you also have a cutout that accounts for the DCHDMI?

Matt

For those of you out there interested, the 20-pin 80 watt Pico PSU works just fine with the Dreamcast Pico PCB which has a 24-pin connector. A little unsymetrical, but it is going to be in the DC case anyway outof sight (see pic below). I tested the voltages being piped into the Dreamcast connection header (the 5-position header on the bottom left) using a Fluke meter without load and they are very stable. Installed it and it works like a dream (pun intended) and runs super cool with GDEmu.

I definitely think this is a much better than the DreamPSU solution which IMO, no one should even bother with at this point. However, this puppy is a tad expensive.
  • $10 for the PCB from Laserbear
  • $25 for the official Pico PSU from mini-box
  • $18 for the DC adapter from Amazon
Still though, it is less than the cost of the DreamPSU which I never got. I started investing in this before the info about the 12v regulator mod became known to me, so I figured I'd go all the way. Had I known about the 12v regulator mod before the investment, I would have skipped this because I am trying to be frugal.

I'll be getting the same thing for the Saturn once someone bravely creates such a PCB. Or I might buy the eBay Chinese version and reflow solder on the PCB with Kester and swap out the knock-off Chinese Pico PSU. And I won't have to double up on the DC adapter because I only need one.

DreamcastPicoPSU.jpg

So an ebay seller was mentioned in this thread as possibly providing a safer alternative to the SaturnPSU. It looks as if said seller has gone onto designing their own board which no longer requires a PicoPSU.

I have no technical know how but they certainly look to be more robust than the DreamPSU/SaturnPSU. Has anyone here used one yet?

Links here:

Sega Dreamcast ReDreamPSU

Sega Saturn ReSaturnPSU

So an ebay seller was mentioned in this thread as possibly providing a safer alternative to the SaturnPSU. It looks as if said seller has gone onto designing their own board which no longer requires a PicoPSU.

I have no technical know how but they certainly look to be more robust than the DreamPSU/SaturnPSU. Has anyone here used one yet?

Links here:

Sega Dreamcast ReDreamPSU

Sega Saturn ReSaturnPSU
I haven't. But I'd skip this too. DreamPSU, Saturn PSU, this ReDreamPSU, & ReSaturnPSU, all are hobbyist projects.

PicoPSU is a commerically engineered, QC'ed, and is known to be stable. The PCB adapter just harnesses the voltages to the DC: copper-to-copper rails. That's it. If you are going to swap out the OEM PSU, go wth the PicoPSU option. Best thing you can do if swapping out the PSU. You can also do the mods mentioned in this thread with your OG PSU.

Personally, I'd skip the hobbyist PSU entirely. We've all been burned by one failed attempt. No need to double down, yeah?

When it comes to Dreamcast+GDEmu I don't understand why anyone would replace the PSU period!
All you need to do is remove one cap and the temps drop to nothing (I got the mod/information from this very thread).

What we NEED is a mod like that for Saturn PSU, not a homemade replacement.

After reading this thread a couple of months back, I decided to go with a recap and pull the regulator on my Dreamcast like jassin000 mentioned. It's also the cheapest, which is always nice. Saturn will be next once my Console5 order comes in.

I just thought it was interesting that the seller decided to design their own alternative rather than just stick with a simple PicoPSU adapter.

When it comes to Dreamcast+GDEmu I don't understand why anyone would replace the PSU period!
All you need to do is remove one cap and the temps drop to nothing (I got the mod/information from this very thread).

What we NEED is a mod like that for Saturn PSU, not a homemade replacement.
This. There's a reason Sega designed the PSU the way they did, it works and unless it's dead there is zero reason to replace it.

because the psu in the dc i got for my usbgdrom was dead?
I have two of them (OG DC PSUs) just laying around, want one (I scrapped a few DCs when putting my master DC together :) )?
Oh wait! You are international shipping... Nope sorry, if a USA guy wants one PM me (just pay the shipping).

Back