Champion
Reaction score
@NEW: Store
https://www.retropsu.com/store/

SaturnPSU: https://igg.me/at/SaturnPSU/x/17026489

DreamPSU:
Might be an interesting alternative to PicoPSUs

rjgtegjdhq3lzs8luxo2.jpg

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dreampsu-making-your-dreamcast-cool-again-power#/

I backed for two of them.. lets see if this goes forward.

Last edited:
+1 thanks for sharing. Was just looking around last week for a good solution to the heat issue.

Nice solution, but just to put a quote from another forum on here:

"I'm a little concerned about the quality - you don't want to screw up the electrical side of your DC, basically. There's the risk of gradual component wear as well as video/audio interferance.

The chap developing it mentioned on Facebook that he's just an enthusiastic amateur rather than having an electrical engineering background or qualification. I hope he replies to this tweet from Rene at db_electronics with some reassurances around testing. https://twitter.com/db_electronics/status/887001128822591488

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea, but caution and investigation is definitely worth practicing here IMO."

I'm down for one, thanks for the tip.

//offtopic
Nice solution, but just to put a quote from another forum on here:

"I'm a little concerned about the quality - you don't want to screw up the electrical side of your DC, basically. There's the risk of gradual component wear as well as video/audio interferance.

The chap developing it mentioned on Facebook that he's just an enthusiastic amateur rather than having an electrical engineering background or qualification. I hope he replies to this tweet from Rene at db_electronics with some reassurances around testing. https://twitter.com/db_electronics/status/887001128822591488

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea, but caution and investigation is definitely worth practicing here IMO.
It's all starting to get a bit like the vaccination FUD, i'm pro-vaccination btw ;)

(db_electronics means well I get that)

Last edited:
Are you feeling okay K405? LOL.
Feel pretty good, today yes. Thank you! :D And you?

//on-topic

I'm not buying, backing this to keep my Dreamcast cool, I can throw out my 240V/110V AC/AC converter with his.

I don't get it....

My Dreamcast has been going strong for almost 20 years, never had an issue, and it was played for hours and hours.
I don't think I would get issues now all of a sudden for the incidental play session of 1 hour :thumbup:

Kinda like a similar situation like with the Everdrive voltage issue, and also recently there has been a lot of fuss about RGB Scart kabels which could damage your equipment due to too high sync voltages or something...
No issues for years, and now all of a sudden it gets full attention and everyone is afraid to use their Everdrive's in their RGB connected consoles

Last edited:
just re the (self titled fwiw) flashcartgate i follow db electronics on twitter (mostly for his hucard work) and find his tweets/blog interesting but his 3.3v flashcard/cart post should be taken with a big old pinch of salt. Too many If, buts, + maybes.

Interesting but it feels a little attention grabby.

Back on track, anything newly related to the dreamcast is ok in my book and he's a fellow brit so he's getting some support (we need it) But i'm not sure whether this is a step too far or perhaps unnecessary? If you keep swapping out components like this when does it stop being a dreamcast and start to become a facsimile of one?

Also where does a dreamcast soul reside? because by swapping out the psu you could be killing it! #dreamcasticide

If u consider the DC PSU to be its belly, then yes, you are killing it!
If u consider the DC ODD to be its belly, then I already ripped it's soul out with a GDEMU.

No issues for years, and now all of a sudden it gets full attention and everyone is afraid to use their Everdrive's in their RGB connected consoles
Krizz has been quietly addressing the voltage miss-match (5v > 3.3v) with cart revisions for the past few years.

Example 1: Version 1 of the Mega Everdrive Vs. the Mega Everdrive x7, x5, x3.
Example 2: Version 1 of the PCEngine Everdrive Vs. version2 of the PCE Everdrive.
Example 3: Super Everdrive Vs. SD2SNES (I know SD2SNES isn't really a Krizz product, but he is producing them for sale).

I owned the version 1 for all the above, and never had any problems... However when the replacement product lines appeared, you bet I upgraded. :)

"Necessary" is always relative, a DC PSU without 12V load (for example gdemu) is inefficient and overheats like hell, so "something" must be done. I have a resistor in between the 12V pins, but that's more a patch than a solution. Removing the 12V regulator seems to work.. But a 20 years old PSU is always a 20 years old PSU...

So the best solution appears to be to upgrade the PSU. A PicoPSU works for sure, but there's hackerish involved, so why not a plug and play version?

Ps- there are several dozens guys (engineers) claiming that PicoPSUs cause interferences, that are the main reason for global warming and are the logical explanation of the massive dead of bumblebees. It's ok, I guess the hundreds of thousands of persons using them in interference sensitive environments (media players..) are wrong, and should be ashamed of themselves. But who gives a shit? :)

Last edited:
"Necessary" is always relative, a DC PSU without 12V load (for example gdemu) is inefficient and overheats like hell, so "something" must be done.
Ha! Never thought about that.

I'm not thrilled that for $35 you don't even get a wall adapter - just the internal component. With this mod, the quality of the power being fed into the Dreamcast will be dependant on the quality of the wall adapter, so not having a quality adapter included surprises me.

Personally, I plan on keeping my stock power supply, replacing the capacitors, and removing the 12V regulator. :thumbsup:

The good news is this will be able to replace the Sun PSU as well. Folks have reported pulling the Dreamcast's PSU to power the Naomi.

I'm not thrilled that for $35 you don't even get a wall adapter - just the internal component. With this mod, the quality of the power being fed into the Dreamcast will be dependant on the quality of the wall adapter, so not having a quality adapter included surprises me.

Personally, I plan on keeping my stock power supply, replacing the capacitors, and removing the 12V regulator. :thumbsup:
If you ever change your mind, I have qood experiences with the power bricks from this aliexpress seller.
Their 9V brick cleaned up my Neo Geo AES signal after replacing the crappy 9V wall adapter I was using, I picked up it somewhere online in the past.

Some guy reported issues with the fishing rod after removing the regulator, but it's hard to believe since the DC port doesn't have a 12pin at all... Another one reported issues with PAL consoles... Dunno, you know internet, you can't trust anyone but yourself :D

I prefer to substitute the PSU myself and have the old one(s) as backup

Last edited:
Back