What's new

Scarletspeedstr

Student
Reaction score
While working on my Astro City and testing my CPS3 board, I realized to my surprise that anything my grounds were connected to were in fact hot. Including the monitor frame and the control panel screw. The cabinet arrived this way, I didn't wire it so I'm currently going through specs and I've never actually wired a cabinet before. Is the screw in the pic below with the green wires coming off of it in the back in fact ground?

https://ibb.co/gJwFs5

Yes - the green wires are Earth Ground. Make
sure you don't confuse it and splice it with 0v from the PSU.

To fix the "hot" metal, ground your cabinet. Japanese candies will have a screw post in the back near the AC cord. Run a wire from that to a copper pipe or radiator in your location, or buy a DIY 3-prong adapter from Home Depot and only populate the ground lug. Plug that into the wall.

Voila! Hot metal fixed. Before I realized the fix for this issue years ago, I believe I measured 20v AC coming theu the lugs in my control panel. Not enough to zap you but enough to feel it (especially on the underside of your forearm while playing!)

Happy gaming.

Done! Thanks for the tips, I ended up replacing the entire cord with a three prong and I am now grounded. Final stupid question, what is the plastic part that locks the cord to the cabinet plate called? I need to grab a new one.

Done! Thanks for the tips, I ended up replacing the entire cord with a three prong and I am now grounded. Final stupid question, what is the plastic part that locks the cord to the cabinet plate called? I need to grab a new one.
Do you mean the ladder tie?

Back