What's new

SmokeMonster

Champion
Reaction score
My desoldering station arrived and I put it to the test with a full shotgun recap of the CPS-2 A Board that I use with my Darksoft Multi. The station made quick work of what would have been a daunting task using a solder sucker.

Capcom used excellent Panasonic caps to begin with, and there was no improvement or change to AV quality that I noticed after recapping.

My fan info:
Any 60mm fan will work (60mm x 15mm deep). Here's the one that I used, which is $2.88/shipped. The problem is that almost all small fans, including 60mms, will run a bit loud. I installed this fan speed controller inside my A board and turned its speed all the way down.

No soldering is required, you just have to remove the fan speed controller's plastic shell and secure it in place with double-sided tape. I did shorten the wires on mine though to keep it clean. It's completely silent but still keeps a nice flow of air. I also took the precaution of replacing the thermal compound on the heat-sink with arctic silver.
_DSC2016_12.jpg

I used all Panasonic, Rubycon, and Nichicon 8,000-10,000+ hour/105C rated caps (and one big Vishay axial cap). I also installed a new fan and fan controller, and applied Arctic Silver thermal compound to the heatsink.

_DSC2022_2.jpg

_DSC2027_2.jpg

Last edited:
from what i understand all those caps there are actually the caps for sound

has the sound improved ?

There's no discernible improvement to sound quality that I can distinguish. I actually replaced every cap on the board, so it's more than just the audio circuit caps.

I have noticed now that there is absolutely no video noise at all, which is the only improvement that I have been able to make out.

Are you able to recognize the filter section on your board. I think you must check that section.
Most of the capacitors and inductors combined makes filter section.
Also digital ICs are there which are used for filtering.
You must recognize that part for your problem.

printed circuit boards

Last edited:
Are you able to recognize the filter section on your board. I think you must check that section.
Most of the capacitors and inductors combined makes filter section.
Also digital ICs are there which are used for filtering.
You must recognize that part for your problem.
There are no problems. The board is 100% perfect, with no audio or video noise at all.

Nice. I really need to put some money aside for a desoldering station. So much time saved, and less prone to burning traces.

I've got a project to replace the ribbon cable connectors on 2x Robotron CPU and ROM boards, but I've been keeping it on the back-burner till i get a station to do it cleaner. Threads like this is motivating me to save my money from buying yet another game or game hardware and spring for a good desoldering station.

Nice. I really need to put some money aside for a desoldering station. So much time saved, and less prone to burning traces.

I've got a project to replace the ribbon cable connectors on 2x Robotron CPU and ROM boards, but I've been keeping it on the back-burner till i get a station to do it cleaner. Threads like this is motivating me to save my money from buying yet another game or game hardware and spring for a good desoldering station.
I highly recommend picking one up ASAP. It would have saved so much time if I had snagged one sooner, and it improved the quality of my work overall. I use the Aoyue 474A++.

Lack of good desoldering equipment destroys a lot of egos and boards unnecessarily lol

I highly recommend picking one up ASAP. It would have saved so much time if I had snagged one sooner, and it improved the quality of my work overall. I use the Aoyue 474A++.
That station looks very well priced at $145 USD. I think I just found my next purchase. Thanks Smoke!

Yes, a great price. If you buy it, you can replace some of its parts with real Hakko parts for a nice upgrade:

Hakko Large Ceramic Filter: A1033
Hakko Small Ceramic Filter: A1009
Hakko Spring Filter: A1030

Hey everyone,

i have the same A-Board ( 93646A-7) does anyone has a list of the caps or know where I can get one?

I also need to replace the very oxidized switches and audio Jacks.

I think I found the switches here. https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c-k/KSC721G-LFS/CKN10304DKR-ND/2415035
and maybe this will do for the Audio jacks https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/switchcraft-inc/PJRAN1X1U03AUX/SC1853-ND/1288664
if anyone knows if this components will do or i should pick other please let me know.

Thanks everyone.

Hey everyone,

i have the same A-Board ( 93646A-7) does anyone has a list of the caps or know where I can get one?

I also need to replace the very oxidized switches and audio Jacks.

I think I found the switches here. https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/c-k/KSC721G-LFS/CKN10304DKR-ND/2415035
and maybe this will do for the Audio jacks https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/switchcraft-inc/PJRAN1X1U03AUX/SC1853-ND/1288664
if anyone knows if this components will do or i should pick other please let me know.

Thanks everyone.
Yes sir, it's a theard published here on forum by @sk8er000 . Hope this theard can help you for this and other future projects you will have on your desk :saint:

Last edited:
Back