What's new
Last edited:
Going to put back the original hot and bought some thermal paste for it.
The last Nanao chassis I worked on two weeks ago had a plastic film in between the HOT and heatsink and no thermal paste. However, it was a MS8, not a MS9. Double check that you're not going to short the HOT.

yes the plastic sheet is to keep the HOT electrically isolated from the heat sync. Most Chassis are like this. This is also why if you're using thermal paste it MUST be non-conductive.

I learned this the hard way back when I rebuilt my first chassis and foolishly used arctic silver 5 which DUH :S is electrically conductive because it has silver particulates.

you also need to be careful with the screw, as it shouldn't touch anything metal on the transistor side. obviously make sure it's not touching the metal back plate on the HOT any metal on the through hole. Some setups are kind enough to include a fiber or plastic bushing to ensure isolation. otherwise it can be pretty sketchy to just line it up so nothing is touching.

Hello everyone,

So long story short, I had a working chassis that had a green tint so I decided to recap it. That has been done along with replacing the HOT. I turn it on and I get no neck glow, no static on the monitor and I hear a whistle coming from the chassis. Has anyone ever come across this? Not sure what else to do or replace. I've read that these chassis fly backs almost never go bad, so what else could it be?

After I recapped it I noticed I needed a bipolar cap for one of the caps, replaced that as well. Video: https://flic.kr/p/WLX1v5

any help is appreciated.

-John V.
I am also about to recap my ms9. Can you please tell me what the HOT is.

Thanks

I am also about to recap my ms9. Can you please tell me what the HOT is.Thanks
Horizontal output transistor

0pE.jpg

Not something that needs to be replaced unless your chassis doesn't turn on. Even then, it's easily checked if the HOT is busted. Don't just replace it willy nilly.

It shouldn't cause problems unless it's a chinese fake you put in. A lot of them sold on ebay are not original.
I had to replace one once, and a couple of days later, it broke again. I replaced it again and that one keeps working.

If it ain't broken, don't fix it....

It shouldn't cause problems unless it's a chinese fake you put in. A lot of them sold on ebay are not original.
I had to replace one once, and a couple of days later, it broke again. I replaced it again and that one keeps working.

I've never understood people's obsession with replacing hots or flybacks that are working just fine.... Well except maybe g07.

Reactions: nem
^THIS^

a lot of the "new" replacement HOTs and Flybacks are worse than the original used ones... why spend time and money to downgrade your chassis?

i only switched the caps. just wondered if i was missing something important here.

It's understandable. You read often that people need to replace their HOT and / or LOPT. It's likely the most frequent ocurring chassis fault, besides bad capacitors and occasionally a color driver transistor. Capacitors die slowly. They dry out, change in value and get a higher ESR. The HOT or LOPT on the other hand die instantly and most of the time without a warning. A LOPT can give warnings like sparking or being cracked. LOPT transformers become more and more difficult to find, as CRT's are a technology on it's way out.

Back