Dreamcast Kiosk - Recap

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Dreamcast Kiosk - Recap

I picked up a pair of kiosk consoles and got one working with a shotgun recap. The other has a blown DAC, so it's going to need a transplant.

I'm really surprised at the quality of the VA0 Dreamcast. Lots of tantalum SMD caps that were replaced with cheaper electrolytics in VA1, and the heatsinks and pipes actually keep it running really cool. There seems to be an urban legend that the VA0 runs hotter than later DCs, but this is the opposite of what I've found. It's cooler and quieter with the thermally controlled fan.

Stock. Factory repair in the upper right.

Simple to recap, but components must be arranged to avoid touching the metal casing. No room for big caps in here, everything needs to be slim. I used all Panasonic and Rubycon 6,000-10,000+ hour 105C rated caps.

Stock GD-ROM controller board

Recapped. Again, caps need to be arranged to avoid touching the metal cover.
      SmokeMonster Patreon
      YouTube | Twitter | Twitch

Darksoft: CPS2, STV, MVS
      Supergun: HAS
      PVMs: 2030, 1944Q, 3 x 8041Q
      PCBs: 50ish | Sticks: 50ish

The post was edited 1 time, last by SmokeMonster ().

• You know I've never actually seen a VA0 in real life. They are pretty rare in the USA, only the launch consoles as SEGA switched shortly after.

Look at the heat syncs/piping on that CPU/GPU, no doubt SEGA saved a ton of money switching designs.

Good job SM, loved seeing all your pictures!
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)
    • Thanks, I was surprised that even the fan surround is cast aluminum. It also has an orange LED instead of white, and a crazy PSU that I still need to photograph. I replaced a few caps on it and added thermal compound to the 6 (!) voltage regulators.

I also did a full recap of my Sega Sports VA1 model but I still need to grab some pictures.
      SmokeMonster Patreon

• SmokeMonster wrote:

Sega Sports VA1 model but I still need to grab some pictures

I love mine! :thumbup:

Hasn't needed a recap yet, I did put the GDEmu into this one... I have the old working GDROM drive sitting around in a box if anyone is interested, could prob do like 10~15$ shipped in USA (PM me).
      Darksoft: CPS3, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3
      invzim: Jammafier v1.6b
      XianXi: JNX Raiden, SC Taito Classic, SC Sega System 16/24
      Frank_fjs: JAMMA Extender (Special Edition)

The post was edited 1 time, last by jassin000 ().

• jassin000 wrote:

I love mine! :thumbup:

Hasn't needed a recap yet, I did put the GDEmu into this one... I have the old working GDROM drive sitting around in a box if anyone is interested, could prob do like 10~15$ shipped in USA (PM me).
      Nice, I PMed you about the drive.It might bring one of my parts DCs back from the dead.

The Sports model is the best looking for sure and always wows people who haven't seen one in person. I doubt there are many Dreamcasts that truly need recaps. Sega seemed to used nice SMD caps that have held up really well overall.

I just posted a writeup of the Sports recap here: Sega Sports Dreamcast VA1 - Recap
      SmokeMonster Patreon