What's new

tom5151

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there,
I have an issue with my f3 setup.
I don't think it's related to the multi.
Sometime I have no any sound when starting a game.
Sometimes I have sound, but after playing 3 or 5 minutes, sound stops working.
I've tried to push 5v to 5.1 or 5.2 but it doesn't change anything.
Any idea ?

Thanks for the link.
I don't see anything strange on soldering side, but I'm definitely not an expert in this domain. IMG_20170730_105640.jpg

How about the parts side?

I feel stupid.
I think the problem was that the multi was not fully inserted into the board !
Make me think I need a case for this baby :)
Sorry for such a noob thread and thanks @ekorz

No prob. Glad it's working! Have fun!

Damn, I wrote too fast. Sound has disappeared again after playing 45 minutes action elevator.
I'll post a picture later or tmw of the part side, but I don't see anything bad.

I have a similar problem, after playing Rayforce / Gunlord, reaching end of Stage 3 (and onwards), the sound - mostly the background sound - would just stop for a variable amount of time. Ranging from 1-3 seconds. Quite noticeable.

I don't see any issue with graphics or slowness/hickups. Just the audio.
It seems to be quite consistent.

I never had it before, only with the Multi and this game only - so far.
As tom5151 I increased the voltage from 4.9 to 5.0 to almost 5.1, but that didn't make any difference. The card is well pressed against the mobo.

Any suggestions where to look?

Have you tried using other SD cards? Also, are you guys measuring voltage from the jamma edge?

Have you tried using other SD cards? Also, are you guys measuring voltage from the jamma edge?
Have not tried other SD cards, I can try that.
Measuring is at the Jamma Edge, yes. If voltage would be an issue, than I would expect it a problem with other games too. But for example Space Invaders '95 I play extensively for hours, zero problems.

Didn't try another SD card, but noticed the same problem with Gekirindan (mobo+multi are on for 25 minutes with playing games).
I also noticed the heatsink is quite hot, as in you don't want to touch it hot. Is that normal?

Will try another SD card soon (have to buy it first).

Last edited:
Can someone else test these two games and see if something similar happens to you so we can try to rule out the game files?

I also noticed the heatsink is quite hot, as in you don't want to touch it hot. Is that normal?
The heatsync is for the audio amp, it should get hot but not "burn you" hot. it's possible that it's overheating and shutting down causing your audio to cut out.

How are you adjusting the volume of your games? if you have a volume control on your cab, turn that up and then go into the system menu of your game and turn it down there to see if that helps.

I do know that the pot next to the heat sync is a voltage adjustment (presumably for the audio amp?) perhaps yours was turned up too high and overdriving the amp. maybe someone who knows a bit more about this can comment on if this is plausible and the proper way to check and adjust. (I've heard many conflicting assumptions on the function of this pot)

I did the test and had no any sound problem on Rayforce / Gunlord stage 4.
I used to have sound issues, but on my side I think it was a not fully inserted cartridge problem.
Since I've put the pcb in an original cartridge case and since I use the 2 peaces of black plastic to keep it fully inserted, i don't have any sound issue anymore.

Back