What's new

Vladi

Student
Reaction score
the game boots up fine but with no sound and every time you input or touch a button its freezes . here is a video

I recall that board has many surface mounted components and many large custom chips.
First thing I would suspect is loose legs on the large custom chips. since it's freezing it's somewhere in the CPU-section of the board.
Those boards are a bit like Mortal Kombat 3, meaning for the average person they are not easy to fix.

After leaving the board on for half and hour the sound appeared all of the sudden with the ding sound but sometimes it goes back with no sound and the freezing begins all over again .This a video with the problem http://youtu.be/g80Wvr9G7eU

leaving it on means it heated up. that's a classic fault of something loose, meaning one or more legs on a surface-mounted chip(s) has come loose. Possibly sound related area so maybe the sound RAM is loose.
You need to look at all the legs on all the surface-mounted chips using a magnifying glass and touch each one with a pin or very tiny screwdriver to see if it is loose. then solder it back in place.
also try putting the board on a flat surface (without the PCB feet etc) and pushing and holding various chips then power on (and keep pushing it) and see if that fixes it.
if something is '*just* loose you can push down on it and it should work.
Once you find out what is loose just re-solder it.

The main CPU is prone to lifted legs but also make sure the voltages are good. It can be picky as most Midway pcbs can be.

fixing that really requires a professional PCB repairer.
the main CPU (under the heatsink) is a QFP160 with 0.5mm pin spacing.
almost every non-techy person (i.e. lacking PCB repair skills and equipment) who thinks about trying to repair that kind of PCB will either give up in 1 minute or damage it beyond repair.

fixing that really requires a professional PCB repairer.
the main CPU (under the heatsink) is a QFP160 with 0.5mm pin spacing.
almost every non-techy person (i.e. lacking PCB repair skills and equipment) who thinks about trying to repair that kind of PCB will either give up in 1 minute or damage it beyond repair.
I can confirm that these are extremely easy to damage.

hi there, reopening this after 5 years lol.

i just started going through my repair backlog, my KI had a cap blown, (c30) and black screen after that, so I went in today after 3 year since this happened. No led activity btw.

so today tried it, black screen (using an ossc with has, not sure if blue screen will come up under a supergun and ossc config) and no led activity, then inspected the board, all seems good at naked eye, went in with the scope for a bit, but decided to test the voltages.

Connected the pcb for about a minute, and started measuring the V around, then hhd blinked, turned the tv on and voila! Same slowdowns like you, each couple of second it halts and continues. Hdd activity led was intermittent.

Then I started playing, and all good slowdowns were gone, the sound led started to blink and steady but no sound just static noise.
Temps on the cpu seems normally hot, nothing else seems hot.
then I just turned off, themed back on immediately and black screen.
más the guys say, I won’t mess with the legs, Same as zn-1 boards they are too small for just go in with an iron.

so my question, did you ever manage to fix it? I’m about to order several parts (caps, regulators, the amp, etc) from digi-key just to have spares too, but
If you did fix it and have some advice it will be appreciated.

Back