What's new
Chinese boots are fine, with the exception of SS6 And I think there's some differences in the way Metal Slug 6 behaves from what I've read, but games like Rumble Fish 2 aren't available.
Do you mean "can't be purchased at this point in time", or "don't exist"? Because boots of TRF2 definitely exist.

Chinese boots are fine, with the exception of SS6 And I think there's some differences in the way Metal Slug 6 behaves from what I've read, but games like Rumble Fish 2 aren't available.
Do you mean "can't be purchased at this point in time", or "don't exist"? Because boots of TRF2 definitely exist.
I didn't think that boots of Rumble Fish 2 existed? (I've never heard of anyone that owns one or has actually seen one anyway) there was a picture of one on one of the Chinese sites, but it wasn't listed as one of the games that they actually sold.

It would be interesting to hear if anyone actually owns one though :)

I also thougt it was only Rumble Fish 1, anyway, no boots available last time I check Aliexpress

Never seen one either. I actually bought a genuine cart when the boots appeared. The seller was selling them for boot prices, so I was sure I would get a boot cart, but surprisingly, it's totally legit.

I owned one, and yaton has sold several recently on ebay. I purchased mine from Aliexpress years ago.

The big run of bootlegs was approx 5 years ago. No new inventory since.

- RF2 was available as bootleg

- yaton items are authentic, have not seen or noticed any bootlegs

Perhaps it is time for another project update!

First I should explain there are two types of Atomiswave cartridges

MROM = standard capacity, 128mbyte (1024mbit)
MROM2 = extra capacity, bank switchable, up to 320mbyte (2560mbit)

All games (including unreleased games), use MROM, except:

The Rumble Fish 2
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum
Samurai Spirits Tenkaichi Kenkakuden
The King of Fighters XI
Metal Slug 6

Here is a photo of my repro MROM2 cartridge:

aw_mrom2.jpg

:thumbsup:

Very nice! Are you doing only clear shells and if so in red only? Would be cool to get a Dolphin Blue in clear blue... :P

Nice work!

Looking forward to MS6 with blood always on. ;)

I was curious if anyone poking around inside KOF XI or NGBC saw any way to disable the smoothing filter put on the characters?

I was curious if anyone poking around inside KOF XI or NGBC saw any way to disable the smoothing filter put on the characters?
but why ? with no bilinear texture sampling there will be ugly point sampling artifacts, caused by non-integer sprite/texture scaling, to make them look correct size in AW display resolution.
proper solution was to redraw character sprites in higher resolution, but SNK was not cared to do that.

but why ? with no bilinear texture sampling there will be ugly point sampling artifacts, caused by non-integer sprite/texture scaling, to make them look correct size in AW display resolution.proper solution was to redraw character sprites in higher resolution, but SNK was not cared to do that.
I was under the assumption that the sprites were simply line doubled and smoothed over. In which case, removing the filter and using a vga scanline generator would look much better, to me.

@muckyfingers I see. there is everything drawn as 3D polygons, also character sprites have enabled bilinear filtering during texture fetch.
by definition of bilinear - there will be no filtering effect visible if source texture/sprite was drawn 1:1 or was scaled up by integer number (2x, 3x etc).
but if scaling was fractional - you'll get resulting image filtered/smoothed-looking. with no bilinear you'll get fractional scaled sprites look "distorted" because of nearest point sampling.

funny part, I've seen opposite requests for Capcom's fighting games for Dreamcast/NAOMI - many of them render character sprites with no bilinear enabled, so people want them "smoothed" :)

Very nice! Are you doing only clear shells and if so in red only? Would be cool to get a Dolphin Blue in clear blue... :P
No only red. They shells kind of turned out stupid expensive :(

Nice work!

Looking forward to MS6 with blood always on. ;)
That is exactly what was last programmed on the cart shown in the picture!

Back