What's new

Cereth

Enlightened
Reaction score
Hi, I'm for the most part new to messing around at all with MAME. I patched together an OS for a TypeX2 with much greater functionality than the existing images, and one of the things I did was install MAME. I know that it normally pulls the desktop resolution when it boots, but I've tried everything I could find to force it to boot in 1280x768 to no avail. I'm using 0.160. Any options? feel free to make suggestions even if I may have already tried it, I'm just trying to get fresh perspective on it.

i'd have to double check (dont have mame installed currently) but i think mame uses fullscreen window mode which means it can never exceed the resolution of the desktop. if this is the case then using mame while keeping thje desktop 480p is a no go.
one of the custom rolled mame builds like groovymame might do exclusive fullscreen.

the other thing you can do is have a watcher app run before mame and adjust the resolution pre launch then have it change it back if need be once you close it.
if you have EWF (enhanced write filter) enabled this would work a bit smoother to as you would have to worry about crashes as it will revert back to 480p after every restart.

Cool, does this mean that we could possibly have mame as an option in the multi hdd anytime soon?

I would worry about the mame games performance issue.. a cheap Dell referb PC running Groovymame and jvspac might be a better solusion and will not break the bank..

I would worry about the mame games performance issue.. a cheap Dell referb PC running Groovymame and jvspac might be a better solusion and will not break the bank..
MAME performance is primarily about CPU clock speed. What do the TTX have for a CPU?

MAME performance is primarily about CPU clock speed. What do the TTX have for a CPU?
Most Type X2 machines have a P4 processor at 3.0GHz. MAME can run pretty well on them at least for older games.

That CPU should be more than adequate for most stuff in MAME. CPS2/3, should be fine. you'll likely have problems with 3D stuff like Tekken or MK4 though.

advantage of using a "regular" PC is that you will be able to run all games in pixel perfect quality (Groovymame + compatible video card)

advantage of using a "regular" PC is that you will be able to run all games in pixel perfect quality (Groovymame + compatible video card)
i agree. but if you're looking to add MAME to a TTX then I'd suspect you're probably running on an LCD cab, at which point proper RGB output with CRT_EmuDriver isn't necessary and you're more likely to want HLSL for CRT emulation.

That's right :)

I run my TX1 in a vertical CRT (shooters FTW) but my horizontals TX2 are connected to LCD monitors

corey ty for the windowed comment, that probably is exactly what I was looking at.

As for what runs on TTX2, I haven't tested much. Demul/NAOMI/AW does not run well, CAVE SHIII runs at about 80%. Beyond that haven't gone far. Mainly I was starting with expanding what the TTX2 Multi was able to do, but yes, in the long run your better bet is to build a cheap PC around running everything and go from there.

That said, for personal use at home, what would be recommended to build for better MAME compatibility, if not X2? I'd assume with the same 7900/7950 but a better overall PC I'd be able to support the same X2/NESiCA titles plus more MAME titles.

Picture for why I'm suddenly interested in MAME
99fR9vA.jpg

That said, for personal use at home, what would be recommended to build for better MAME compatibility, if not X2?
If you want the best, the best is the quickest single core CPU you can find, a graphic card compatible with CRT Emudriver and a Try-Sync CRT Monitor

For instance, I have a G3258@4Ghz CPU, a Radeon HD4350 and a Hantarex Polo/3 Monitor...

if you want to go mame build but have great compatability for nesica and x2 games. build a semi decent cheap machine then get a ttx3 from yaj and rip the fast io out of it and use thatyas your IO interface :P

for nesica you have legit control support then you can use my fastio2jvs for JVS games then you can use my fastio2kb for everything else which should be on par with other interface devices lag wise but the fastio2jvs will be faster than using an off the self KB encoder then using the ttx_loader tools.

for games that require joy pad you can use a xpad emulator or if you nag enough i could make a fast io to joy pad :P

edit:
i'm planning to do a build like i suggested my self soon. so i'll update this thread when i do.

if you want to go mame build but have great compatability for nesica and x2 games. build a semi decent cheap machine then get a ttx3 from yaj and rip the fast io out of it and use thatyas your IO interface :P

for nesica you have legit control support then you can use my fastio2jvs for JVS games then you can use my fastio2kb for everything else which should be on par with other interface devices lag wise but the fastio2jvs will be faster than using an off the self KB encoder then using the ttx_loader tools.

for games that require joy pad you can use a xpad emulator or if you nag enough i could make a fast io to joy pad :P

edit:
i'm planning to do a build like i suggested my self soon. so i'll update this thread when i do.
Hey Corey can you post a picture of the Fast I/O you are referring to?

That said, for personal use at home, what would be recommended to build for better MAME compatibility, if not X2? I'd assume with the same 7900/7950 but a better overall PC I'd be able to support the same X2/NESiCA titles plus more MAME titles.
I have a PC in my Kraylix cab that has been running TTX games and many emulators for a couple of years now...

Most emulators don't support multi-core processing and most that do don't benefit from it much. so for emulation in general the thing you want most is a high clock speed. So if money is no object, by all means blow your cash on a high end i7 or i5, but if you're trying to do this on a budget going with a 3.4GHz or higher i3 or G-series works well. Some of these cheap itel CPUs can be overclocked to over 4.0GHz and outperform (in terms of emulation) chips 3x their price.

As for the GPU, more important than the speed of the GPU is it's compatibility. TTX games mostly use DX9 and in my experience fare better on nVidia GPUs. for Demul and GC/Wii you want a DX11 compatible GPU so that basically locks you into Win 7 or higher and later model GPUs.

MAME doesn't utilize the GPU except for post processing (such as HLSL crt emulation, and scaling) so any GPU is fine really as long as it's not a motherboard based "on-board" processor (most on-board GPUs leach performance from the CPU so it will hurt MAME performance without a dedicated graphics card).

If you want to run the bleeding edge emulators (like those for PS3, WiiU, and Xbox 360) you need a DX12 compatible GPU which will lock you into Win10.

I don't run Win10 myself, but I did have LOTS of compatibility problems with TTX games on Win8 and ended up downgrading to Win7 to get them playable.

Unless you're getting into PS3 emulation (which is still pretty rough) PCSX2, Dolphin and Demul (NAOMI2) are going to be your most demanding emulators so you should target your system for those.

as for the rest of the system:
8GB of RAM is more than adequate,
put the rest of your money into Hard drives... a complete PS2 set alone is over 2TB, Space gets filled fast especially for newer systems. Also make sure your mobo has some USB3 ports and Gigabit Ethernet because transferring lots of files takes forever even with these newer faster protocols.

Last edited:
"i'm planning to do a build like i suggested my self soon. so i'll update this thread when i do."
@corey - could you do a write up on this on a different tread.. I am going this route as well.. For all my X2 Stuff and Nesica..

Back