What's new
I might need new glasses but where are the decrypted files hosted? I cant find them on "http://www.jammarcade.net" ...

porchy removed all the Sega stuff from the site given the recent lawsuits against ROM sites :(

Does anyone know if system16A games be converted to system16B ?

Thinking specifically about: Fantasy Zone

at a quick glance the memory maps look completely different. So assuming the hardware is the same but arranged differently you're still talking days/weeks of work to remap each game

I know about the buggy system16 version from the PS2, just wondering if the original was a possible target

Is it possible to make Cotton playable on 171-5521?
My Tetris rom board is 171-5521. Everyone says it is identical to 5704, but I don't find any info to mod this board.

ad nauseam: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/segas16b.cpp

I feel like this has been posted at least 4 times and sometimes I still get people PMs asking me for help when it's already all nicely explained, as I was the driver developer or something.

And just to make sure: I'm not the Luca who's one of the MAME devs.
I've just contributed once in the past (quite a lot time ago actually) and that was it.

Does anyone know if system16A games be converted to system16B ?

Thinking specifically about: Fantasy Zone
Yes.
I know about the buggy system16 version from the PS2, just wondering if the original was a possible target
I fixed it and released the files here.
My Tetris rom board is 171-5521. Everyone says it is identical to 5704, but I don't find any info to mod this board.
It's just a matter of moving jumpers.

No. One has tile banking enabled for the sprites, the other for the tile ROMs.

They are almost identical but with that key difference. There may be a version of Cotton released on the other version board though?

It's just a matter of moving jumpers.
No, it isn't. They are wired up differently and while very close, they're not identical

No, it isn't. They are wired up differently and while very close, they're not identical
My bad. Is it a challenge then?
Sprite banking on S16B is only determined by the CGBx signals (first gen games use them independently as CE signals thus only one active simultaneously, then they are used as higher address lines being demuxed to generate CE signals).
The hardware mod should still be minimal.
Can you please post pics of a 5521 romboard with all socketed chips pulled (both sides)?

Will do once I get home from work.

I tried for quite a while to get Altered Beast working on the ROM board that didn't require the i8751 and couldn't because the wrong ROMs were banked :(

The multi kind of makes this mod irrelevant but I'd still be keen to see it happen.

Hi there!

8034-7002-02 label on my Dynamite Dux Rom Board.

Can I convert this board into Shinobi?

Hi there!

8034-7002-02 label on my Dynamite Dux Rom Board.

Can I convert this board into Shinobi?
The actual rom board would have 171-5521 printed on it, the sticker doesn’t really identify the rom board. And I don’t see a version of Shinobi in MAME that works on that rom board. That’s not to say that it isn’t possible at all, but it is to say that you’d be doing more work than just a rom swap if it was, and I don’t think anyone has published that work.

The actual rom board would have 171-5521 printed on it, the sticker doesn’t really identify the rom board. And I don’t see a version of Shinobi in MAME that works on that rom board. That’s not to say that it isn’t possible at all, but it is to say that you’d be doing more work than just a rom swap if it was, and I don’t think anyone has published that work.
The thing is there are so many combinations possible... And now with the multi is it still worth bothering?

@Apocalypse my friend doesn't want to make a Multi right now, maybe he prefers the headache conversion challenge? ?(

Different games require different EPROMs, that's why the confusion unfortunately. The only EPROMs that are the same across all games are the main program which are always 27C1000.

Sound program on every game I've seen is a 27C256 as well but could well be a 512 on some games.
Hmm I tried to make a Fantasy Zone 2 conversion from Wrestle War, using the 5704 romboard. (and the bigger rams).
I have made one of these conversions a couple of years ago using another ROM board and that worked fine, but I dont remember what types of eproms I used..

This time I used 27C301 for all 1mb spots and game starts but instantly after the copyright text the gfx gets corrupted and all kinds of numbers starts showing and then it just freezes.

I moved my Tough Turf romboard over to this motherboard and game plays just fine (but its not using the full ram..)

Am I supposed to use regular 27C010 (jedec) for the "B" side and only 27C301 (non-jedec) for the "A" side??
I really doubt they are freely interchangable as someone said earlier in this thread, since they have different pinouts..

Anyone used the 5704 rom-board for this conversion?

Thanks in advance!

you can figure it out using a multimeter:
the 27c010/27c1001 (JEDEC)
OE = Pin 24
A16 = Pin 2

the 27c301/27c1000 (non-JEDEC)
OE = Pin 2
A16 = Pin 24

basically A16 should be shared between all of the ROMs in the same group, while OE will either be tied to ground or shared with only 1 other ROM.

In my experience on the System 16 ROM boards it either uses ALL 27c010 or ALL 27c301, I've not noticed any that are mixed.

Last edited:
you can figure it out using a multimeter:
the 27c010/27c1001 (JEDEC)
CE = Pin 24
A16 = Pin 2

the 27c301/27c1000 (non-JEDEC)
CE = Pin 2
A16 = Pin 24

basically A16 should be shared between all of the ROMs in the same group, while CE will either be tied to ground or shared with only 1 other ROM.

In my experience on the System 16 ROM boards it either uses ALL 27c010 or ALL 27c301, I've not noticed any that are mixed.
Thanks for the tip! Ill check it out tonight. I also realised that the chinese seller sent me 250ns eproms instead of the 120ns that I requested to buy... Havent seen any slower than 200ns so it might even be to slow eproms thats causing trouble... AHhh the headache with all china-ebay/aliexpress orders. Almost every single time its something... dead, fake, rebranded, wrong, semi-working chips.. seems that even thou I generally dont buy the cheapest ones, i still get the same shit :cursing:

I share your pain. Re unreliable seller's and products.

Back