What's new
you can figure it out using a multimeter:
the 27c010/27c1001 (JEDEC)
CE = Pin 24
A16 = Pin 2

the 27c301/27c1000 (non-JEDEC)
CE = Pin 2
A16 = Pin 24

basically A16 should be shared between all of the ROMs in the same group, while CE will either be tied to ground or shared with only 1 other ROM.

In my experience on the System 16 ROM boards it either uses ALL 27c010 or ALL 27c301, I've not noticed any that are mixed.
Pin 24 is /OE, /CE is pin 22 :)

OOOh I am such a n00bcake... I found some pictures of my board that I convertet waaay back.. and I realised that I made the exact same misstake now, as then... 68k cpu pinout starts the adresses at 1!!
How could I forget?! :thumbdown: . After shifting the 4 adresslines +1 all works. (Except the sound, but that I knew from the start).

1 of the datalines is stuck at 2v and /WR, /OE stuck high. Will check that tonight.. too bad all ym2151 I have are fakes :(. lets hope its the sram, ff or just the z80..

Solution:
It was a damaged track on the MB (componentside). There is one looooong track going very close to the pcb edge that was damaged probably from a srewdriver at some point in time when fastening/changing pcb.. that should connect pin14 (D6 on soundbus) of E20 74LS273 to pin63 on the big custom 315-5195, closest to the 68k CPU.

20200604_201420.jpg

Last edited:
Hi guys, i finally have my first 16B, it's a wrestle war but i'd like to play Bay Route on it. Motherboard is a 171-5357 with the 68000+ID875 and rom board is 171-5704.
Did i understood good about eeprom placing? The A row is non-jedec and B viceversa? I will burn the main code on A row to 4x nec 27c1000 128kb, using the decripted files (2 of them).
The rom set is World.
Is that correct?

Hi guys, i finally have my first 16B, it's a wrestle war but i'd like to play Bay Route on it. Motherboard is a 171-5357 with the 68000+ID875 and rom board is 171-5704.
Did i understood good about eeprom placing? The A row is non-jedec and B viceversa? I will burn the main code on A row to 4x nec 27c1000 128kb, using the decripted files (2 of them).
The rom set is World.
Is that correct?
Nevermind, it was just like that, exept B row must also be 20c301/1000 non jedec, at least for this game.
I didn't have many of these so i've swapped OE and A16 to a few of regular 20c010. Always wanted to play the Sega's Contra :)

Hi. Does anyone have SDI set 2 or SDI set 3 decrypted roms to covert?

Where can I get these roms. :)

I followed this guide by keropi to attempt a conversion of a System 16B 171-5704 ROM board that was formally Flashpoint to Shinobi (set 6, System 16B - unprotected).

https://www.ukvac.com/forum/threads/conversions-guide-for-sega-system16b-5704-romboard.65713/

I first removed the FD1094 Flashpoint CPU and replaced it with a confirmed working 10MHz 68000 CPU. I then burnt (and verified) the required ten non-JEDEC EPROM's (ST M27C1000) and a M27C256 for the Sound CPU and installed them in the ROM board. Finally, I configured the jumper settings as per the documentation for the Shinobi conversion (S2 S3 S6 S7 S9 S11 S13 S15 S17 -> CLOSED) and upon power on I was greeted with a black screen.

Shinobi (set 6, System 16B) (unprotected).jpg

I initially thought that perhaps the replacement 68000 CPU was bad, so I swapped the ROM board with a working Altered Beast ROM board and the board booted straight away. I then swapped the converted Shinobi ROM board back, this time swapping the A5 and A7 Main CPU program ROM's from the Altered Beast ROM board. The board again booted to Altered Beast however, using Shinobi assets for the graphics.

I started to wonder if the program ROM's I had burnt weren't non-JEDEC. I then burnt another set of the A5 and A7 Main CPU program ROM's for Altered Beast, swapped the original ROM's out for the burnt ones, powered it on and that also booted to Altered Beast using Shinobi assets. I re-verified the A5 and A7 Shinobi ROM's which both matched, so I'm now at a loss to why it won't boot to Shinobi. The other Shinobi ROM's I burnt seem to work otherwise Altered Beast wouldn't be displaying the Shinobi graphical assets / font characters etc. The main board is using a stock 68000 CPU and Z80 CPU and does not have a i8751 MCU.

I'm now starting to wonder if Shinobi is incompatible with the 5704 ROM board... Does anyone know if this conversion does or doesn't work?

I followed this guide by keropi to attempt a conversion of a System 16B 171-5704 ROM board that was formally Flashpoint to Shinobi (set 6, System 16B - unprotected).

https://www.ukvac.com/forum/threads/conversions-guide-for-sega-system16b-5704-romboard.65713/

I first removed the FD1094 Flashpoint CPU and replaced it with a confirmed working 10MHz 68000 CPU. I then burnt (and verified) the required ten non-JEDEC EPROM's (ST M27C1000) and a M27C256 for the Sound CPU and installed them in the ROM board. Finally, I configured the jumper settings as per the documentation for the Shinobi conversion (S2 S3 S6 S7 S9 S11 S13 S15 S17 -> CLOSED) and upon power on I was greeted with a black screen.

Shinobi (set 6, System 16B) (unprotected).jpg

I initially thought that perhaps the replacement 68000 CPU was bad, so I swapped the ROM board with a working Altered Beast ROM board and the board booted straight away. I then swapped the converted Shinobi ROM board back, this time swapping the A5 and A7 Main CPU program ROM's from the Altered Beast ROM board. The board again booted to Altered Beast however, using Shinobi assets for the graphics.

I started to wonder if the program ROM's I had burnt weren't non-JEDEC. I then burnt another set of the A5 and A7 Main CPU program ROM's for Altered Beast, swapped the original ROM's out for the burnt ones, powered it on and that also booted to Altered Beast using Shinobi assets. I re-verified the A5 and A7 Shinobi ROM's which both matched, so I'm now at a loss to why it won't boot to Shinobi. The other Shinobi ROM's I burnt seem to work otherwise Altered Beast wouldn't be displaying the Shinobi graphical assets / font characters etc. The main board is using a stock 68000 CPU and Z80 CPU and does not have a i8751 MCU.

I'm now starting to wonder if Shinobi is incompatible with the 5704 ROM board... Does anyone know if this conversion does or doesn't work?
The issue must be with the CPU program ROMs A5 and A7. Have you tried another download of unencrypted A5 and A7? Some are for System-16A.

Back