Pi2SCART

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• ok, I must admit that I'm not so not much into emulation, but I decided to give pi2scart and retropie a go, so I got the pi2scart, one of my spare RPi3s, found a non intrusive case and came up with this:

I installed Reys 128GB Retropie image in a 128GB sandisk card (there's a pre configured image for the pi2scart fine-tuned for all resolutions, but where's the fun on that?)

I changed the boot settings with generic timings. Connected it to my crt and tadaaaa

SNES:

Arcade:

That's the easiest thing ever,I don't think I needed more than 15 minutes for building the PI, connecting the cables and have it running...

Now I need to fine-tune everything, including the custom resolutions, but like it's now is light-years away from Pandora's, SNES minis and alike.
      LOAD "*",8,1

The post was edited 1 time, last by deibit ().

• Black Tiger was the reason I bought my first supergun, and that's how I stayed collecting (my first PCB). Was one of my preferred games back in the time when I played at the arcades.

So yes, is always the first game I use to test emulators because I know perfectly how it behaves :)
      LOAD "*",8,1
    • @PascalP You can get a preconfigured image called ReGamebox here: strike-devices.net/index.php/pi2jamma/ I would asume that it works with Gert666 as well, the best thing is that it comes preconfigured for all emulators and resolutions, including automatic switching and so on. I might install it, but I just had the Reys image around and it was more convenient for a quick test (since it had all the games preinstalled)

@SNK-NEO-GEO it's too early to make a fair comparison, i only have customized one specific resolution wth a generic timing.. so far works very well, but for sure it can work better. I have a dedicated MAME PC with GroovyMAME and pixel perfect setup for mostly all resolutions and honestly is very hard to find a difference with the real thing. With my quick and dirty setup in the RPi there are some occasional glitches, but nothing compared to a Pandora Box for example. I need some time to set it all up :)

Linux is not the best platform for MAME, AdvanceMAME was the best many years ago, but nowadays there's nothing that beats a GroovyMAME setup. Anyway, I'm talking about perfection.. 90% of the people won't find the difference :)
      LOAD "*",8,1
    • I found some time to fine tune the Retropie setup.

For my first test I used the generic 320x240 timings and autoscaling to 4:3, this of course is far from pixel perfect in 99.9% of the cases (no wonder)

To solve that, you just need to install these wonderful scripts and follow the instructions in the readme.txt file

drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B8uZtHByEHyBMkNRRmk4T2E1ZUk

The pi2scart page doesn't explain much what this script does, but the principle behind this "magic" scripts is clear: No console run at a perfect 320x240 resolution, they all have weird resolutions, so if you deactivate the autoscaling and fix the resolution to 320x240, you are going to experience black bars (not nice) and if you activate the autoscaling, you will get occasional artifacts (worse)

So basically the solution is to not to run the pi at 320x240 but at 1600x240 and setup customs aspect ratio values for each console (1536x224 for the SNES like detailed in the readme.txt).

What the "magic" script does is to set the rPi resolution at 1600x240 when an emulator runs and set it back to 320x240 when returning to the menu. For arcade (FBA) it works different, since each game has a special resolution, for that there's a resolution.ini that manages this.

These scripts are really wonderful!!

I'm in love with this tiny thingy :) There are some drawbacks due to the limited performance of the rPi, you can run most of the consoles, n64 is not really playable at normal framerates, but it must have something do do with the emulator itself because PSX runs much better. Most arcade games will run perfectly but some (complex emulation, 3D...) will have framerate issues (Sol Divide runs a bit slower for example). I would recommend to stick with FBA instead of AdvanceMAME, it runs much better on the rPI.
      LOAD "*",8,1
    • deibit wrote:

So basically the solution is to not to run the pi at 320x240 but at 1600x240 and setup customs aspect ratio values for each console (1536x224 for the SNES like detailed in the readme.txt).
      This is also the current conventional wisdom when using GroovyMAME as well. they're called "super resolutions" where they internally render at a clean multiples of the desired output resolution.

it also has the added benefit that a single super resolution can support multiple output resolutions
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • Hi,
      on Raspberry Pi 3 you can run AdvanceMAME with *automatic* creation of perfect video modes with correct size and clock for each game (as on PC).

It's much better than RetroPie or ReGamebox IMHO, and you only need Raspbian and AdvanceMAME.

If you are interested I can write a short tutorial. ;)
    • This is an example of what AdvanceMAME is capable of (my setup is Raspberry Pi 3 > Gert's VGA 666 > cable VGA-SCART > TV RGB).

Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja (original JAMMA board) runs at a video mode of 256 x 240 (H) 57.410000 Hz (info from MAME database in AdvanceMAME menu)

...and this is the effective video mode generated by a fine-tuned AdvanceMAME on Raspberry Pi:

In next few days I'll try to explain (with my very bad "engrish", of course) how to achieve this.

@PascalP a pre-made image would not be totally useful, 'cause AdvanceMAME settings are different for CRT TV, arcade monitors etc.
      But we'll see... ;)

P.S. In most emulators Bad Dudes vs Dragon Ninja is v-synced at 60Hz... so it is played at a different (wrong) speed than the original JAMMA board. ;)

The post was edited 2 times, last by Yami ().