What's new

jugu

Professional
Reaction score
I tried setting up my F3 multi today. Couldn't get it to work as I keep receiving "ROM ERROR" on screen. Here's what I've tried:
3 different Samsung Micro SD cards
2 different LCD screens (1 from the CPS2 multi)
Used Windows 10 and the built-in format and the SD formatter utility (Quick and full format)

I also applied the firmware update provided by Mitsu in a different thread. I also tried the reset tip from a link to the Arcade Otaku forum.

The green "PROG" light never goes out, stays lit the entire time. Here are pictures and a short video:
https://app.box.com/s/v6m0080pnhwwd6x5me33yixbuap8du3q

With no cart installed, the motherboard produces an all white screen. Unfortunately I don't have a real F3 cart to try at the moment. But I'll try this next.

Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Does the lcd never say anything? What happens if you install the cart but not the lcd or cable?

The LCD appears fine. I'm able to select a game, and it begins writing it. The "PROG" light will come on but never go out. I've waited 10 minutes thinking it was a slow write initially...

It did try the LCD from the CPS2 kit as well. But I have not tried with no LCD connected. Will do so shortly...

This really looks like some kind of sd card issue.

>Used Windows 10 and the built-in format and the SD formatter utility (Quick and full format)<

Did you format your SD card as Fat32 at the default block size?

Yes, Fat32 at the default block size. I just tried a 4th SD card, a 2GB that shipped with the XRGB-Mini, still no dice.

Also tried with no LCD screen connected, saw the same "ROM ERROR" message.

You can ship it to me for testing. Might want to test a real F3 cart first.

Will do before I send it your way.

Thank you Mitsu.

BTW, check the sd card to see if the update files were deleted after reinstalling the fw.

Let's shoot for 7pm Monday then. I'll bring down both mobo's and carts.

I can confirm that the flash.img file is removed from the SD card after the cart is updated. But still no change to the usability of the F3 cart.

Thank you @acblunden2 for coming over and helping me out. We confirmed both of his regular F3 carts work on my motherboard. Unfortunately his motherboards were not region free and I didn't have pliers small enough to remove the plastic. So I believe the issue is with the F3 multi.

Always good times brutha. Like, asking for that water and getting a Modelo was funny and awesome. Awesomely funny! That demo of the voice recognition product from your work was classic too. "Alexa play HBO. Oh fuck, another team works on that shit." LoLoL!!

Let me region free-up my F3 mobo's, get a hold of my F3 multi, format the SD card, and get it working. I'll bring the setup over after and we can try it first on your cab. Eliminate that is a cab thing (highly unlikely). Then put the SD card in your multi and give it another whirl. Eliminate the possibility of it being an SD card issue before effort goes into troubleshooting the F3 multi.

Now if only that F3 multi will get here soon.........

Back