What's new

Niko

Champion
Reaction score
So I just pieced together a Taito Type X2 setup and found it pretty lame that you have to use a whole IO board just for the control inputs.

It would be nice if there was an adapter that took standard inputs and just converted it to the JVS/USB standard for use with Taito Type X and other consolization projects that require an IO board which is only used for controller inputs.

I think what I read is the JVS/USB is really just some sort of serial standard that uses a USB connector. I'd imagine it wouldnt be that difficult to design and would be alot smaller and more practical than a full IO board.

Thoughts?

Revision 1 Sega JVS I/O is not very big and is cheap. Not really necessary to reinvent the wheel I think.

Revision 1 Sega JVS I/O is not very big and is cheap. Not really necessary to reinvent the wheel I think.
Meh, I guess it depends what you consider cheap. Cheapest I was able to find one was about $80 shipped and its coming from Australia so its going to take a bit to arrive. But they seem to cost about ~$100.

I assume that board requires power? If so, could that be extracted from the TTX2?

Yes, it only needs 5v which you can pull from the TTX2 PSU. Or in reality, since your only using it for inputs you could probably use one of the regular USB ports to give it power.

There's a variety of ways you could power them.

I just picked up 2 for 5000 Yen + postage + commission so about £70 for a pair....

If you're prepared to use an agent and yahoo auctions Japan the V1's rarely go for much more than 4000 YEN. In fact I just picked up a Capcom one for 4200 YEN.

There's a spare power connector inside my X2 so you could extend it out to a JAMMA fingerboard and power it via that.

I just picked up 2 for 5000 Yen + postage + commission so about £70 for a pair....

If you're prepared to use an agent and yahoo auctions Japan the V1's rarely go for much more than 4000 YEN. In fact I just picked up a Capcom one for 4200 YEN.

There's a spare power connector inside my X2 so you could extend it out to a JAMMA fingerboard and power it via that.
Nice find!

The Sega I/Os have a pin header at the top that can be used to supply power.

Would a Sega 838-13683-92 Ver B also suffice? And does anybody have the pinout for this one?

yep, that's actually the one I bought. Pinout for what connector? Or are you asking what the jumpers do?

Yes - that's what I just picked up so I can use a Naomi with an NVS-4000 PSU which outputs all the right voltages & has a built in amp - get the "B" version though as it works better.

Don't forget the X2 is line output audio so you'll need an audio amp.

If you're going X2 to JAMMA then a Sega V2 or Capcom JAMMA->JVS both have built in audio amps that will take line level (phono) inputs to JAMMA cab level so from the X2 you'd run a 3.5mm stereo jack to twin phono lead to the amp/convertor.

try here for pinouts..

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/JVS#Sega_838-13683-93

Yes - that's what I just picked up so I can use a Naomi with an NVS-4000 PSU which outputs all the right voltages & has a built in amp - get the "B" version though as it works better.

Don't forget the X2 is line output audio so you'll need an audio amp.

If you're going X2 to JAMMA then a Sega V2 or Capcom JAMMA->JVS both have built in audio amps that will take line level (phono) inputs to JAMMA cab level so from the X2 you'd run a 3.5mm stereo jack to twin phono lead to the amp/convertor.

try here for pinouts..

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/JVS#Sega_838-13683-93
Ahh I didnt realize the X2 would need an amp.

I can tell you my test setup for all of my pc based arcade systems uses a cheap 19 inch LCD (Walmart black friday type) and I have a cable for RCAs that I just swap between all of the pcbs and it does not require an amp when I play any of them. Naomi, Naomi 2, TX2, System 246/56, System 369, Chihiro, Triforce Rev. 1 and 3, Lindbergh, etc.

Probably amplified inside the TV but you should be ok if you are using a TV. Depends on your setup.

I can tell you my test setup for all of my pc based arcade systems uses a cheap 19 inch LCD (Walmart black friday type) and I have a cable for RCAs that I just swap between all of the pcbs and it does not require an amp when I play any of them. Naomi, Naomi 2, TX2, System 246/56, System 369, Chihiro, Triforce Rev. 1 and 3, Lindbergh, etc.

Probably amplified inside the TV but you should be ok if you are using a TV. Depends on your setup.
Amps are only really required for JAMMA setups since the JAMMA standard calls for the audio to be amplified by the PCB.

if you're using RCA into a TV or stereo unit, then it's expecting UN-AMPLIFIED audio already so anything Designed for JVS should plug in just fine.

Basically when they changed from JAMMA to JVS they went from the amp being part of the PCB to the amp being part of the cabinet (which actually makes a lot more sense).

I agree with the recommendations to use a Sega JVS I/O type 1... about a year ago, I picked up a dozen or so I use for various things for about 15$ each off eBay - a steal, but 80$ sounds unreasonable...
I personally connect PlayStation controller adapters to them for digital button testing, and if I need an arcade stick plugged in, I can just plugin the old namco sticks.

As far as video, I use an NEC Multisync II because I mostly play with JVS machines (Lots of 246/256 is 15khz, and doesn't work on modern TV), and Sega Model 2 which is 24khz...

Sound, I've got a little desktop 2-channel powered dell speaker set connected to a headphone to RCA stereo pair adapter.

The mess looks horrible, but everything fits what's more or less expected to exist in a Naomi Universal or Blast City style Jamma setup.
No support for Highres, but I don't have much that uses it.

Back