[Help] GC modification - MEGAdrive V5 production or equivalent

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• rewrite wrote:

Finally tossed mine in and I just get an error screen...

"An error has occurred. Turn the Power Off and check the Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions."
      I've had this issue when I use my PAL configured WASP in my Japanese Cube or vice-versa. Here's the dip switch settings to set the correct region: gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=WASP_Fusion
      Multis: CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, ST-V, MVS, M72, G-Net
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Supergun: Sentinel / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile

• PascalP wrote:

rewrite wrote:

"An error has occurred. Turn the Power Off and check the Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions."
      You get that in general or when loading a Rom?IIRC I had that error when trying to load one of the non working games like Luigi’s Mansion
      In general. I have never had the option to select a rom.

djsheep wrote:

rewrite wrote:

I've had this issue when I use my PAL configured WASP in my Japanese Cube or vice-versa. Here's the dip switch settings to set the correct region: gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=WASP_Fusion
      It's been on the right dip setting. Just for fun I tried all three other regions, and it still doesn't do anything. Just the main screen and that error.

I've tried 3 different SD cards ranging from 8gb to 64gb. All formatted FAT32, all with games just thrown in iso format in the root as instructed earlier in this thread.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • kuze wrote:

rewrite wrote:

I'm still getting this guy.

No one else has had issues with theirs at all?
      Do you have another cube you can try? Do you get the same error if you swap your disc drive back in and power up without the WASP?
      I don't have another to test on, but I'll keep an eye out for one.

It works just fine if I put my disc drive back in.
      On the hunt for: Dinoking, Mushiking, Love & Berry, Egret 29, Grand Am Q25, Capcom New Concept 2, and Naomi guncabs.
    • rewrite wrote:

kuze wrote:

rewrite wrote:

I'm still getting this guy.

No one else has had issues with theirs at all?
      Do you have another cube you can try? Do you get the same error if you swap your disc drive back in and power up without the WASP?
      I don't have another to test on, but I'll keep an eye out for one.
      It works just fine if I put my disc drive back in.
      Hmm yea worth trying a second one if you can, they can be found on eBay pretty cheap.

Otherwise if you contact megalomaniac he should be able to get you sorted out.
    • Hey @rewrite, does your GameCube have the Digital AV Out port (DOL-001 model) or is it a DOL-101 missing the port? I do believe the device is only compatible with DOL-001 models?

Have you also tried powering up the Cube without no drive in there at all to somehow kick it into gear?

Those are two things I can think of trying... hopefully you get it working, but I found the guy running that site really friendly when I reached out.

Good luck...
      Multis: CPS-2, CPS-3, F3, ST-V, MVS, M72, G-Net
      PVMs: 2043MD, 20M2MDA, 20L2MD
      Supergun: Sentinel / XRGB-mini
      PCBs: VAPS Profile

• kuze wrote:

He's the seller (runs BadassConsoles), that's what he goes by on forums like gc-forever.
      Ah. Now at least I have a means to contact him. Emails to the site have gone ignored, emails to his PayPal address have gone ignored, and twitter has gone ignored. Overall I'm less than impressed with BAC at this point.

djsheep wrote:

Hey @rewrite, does your GameCube have the Digital AV Out port (DOL-001 model) or is it a DOL-101 missing the port? I do believe the device is only compatible with DOL-001 models?

Have you also tried powering up the Cube without no drive in there at all to somehow kick it into gear?

Those are two things I can think of trying... hopefully you get it working, but I found the guy running that site really friendly when I reached out.

Good luck...
      I do have Digital AV Out, I'm using the official D-Terminal cable.

I haven't, but I can give it a whirl.

I wish he'd reply to anything I've sent. I sent messages months ago when six weeks went by without a word about my order, followed up another 2 weeks after that. I sent messages to all available contact means when I found it wasn't working as well. I've never heard a word back.
    • kuze wrote:

Sorry to hear about the lack of communication with him. IIRC he used to hang out on gc-forever IRC too (probably still does).

Worst case scenario if you open a thread on gc-forever someone should be able to help or get you in contact with him.
      Yeah, I opened one up to see if anyone had any other testing ideas, and also shot a message his way. Hopefully something will come of it.

Surprisingly enough I've still got a month left of PayPal protection if it comes to worst case. But I'd really rather have a working WASP than get my money back.
    • New

Thanks @kuze, Megalomaniac is really really nice now that I'm in contact with him.

It looks like maybe the flash is corrupted. Apparently if you have a GC running homebrew off of a disc you can reflash it yourself. So I'm just waiting on the next time I meet up with a friend to get that done and we'll see if it's that or an actual hardware defect.
    • New

rewrite wrote:

Thanks @kuze, Megalomaniac is really really nice now that I'm in contact with him.

It looks like maybe the flash is corrupted. Apparently if you have a GC running homebrew off of a disc you can reflash it yourself. So I'm just waiting on the next time I meet up with a friend to get that done and we'll see if it's that or an actual hardware defect.
      Nice! Glad to hear you were able to get in contact with him. He was very nice to me as well when I had him install a Megadrive v5 into my GC years ago.

The WASP will be worth it once you get it working. If you need a cheap way of getting homebrew working first, a Xeno modchip is usually a few bucks.
    • New

rewrite wrote:

Sp33dFr34k wrote:

Or just get yourself one of these sdgecko's for about $5.. does the trick as well.
      That isn't a self-contained solution. You need to be able to load the stuff off of the SD card somehow.
      A no, that is true, but that's simply adding another 5 bucks for a XenoGC. Prolly too much trouble when you have somebody closeby to help out.
    • New

Sp33dFr34k wrote:

but that's simply adding another 5 bucks for a XenoGC
      Installing the Xeno is easy, burning a mini DVD-R that actually boots in the Gamecube is difficult.
      That is why so many people just burn full sized DVD-R and remove the top of the console, balancing the larger disc on the spindle totally unprotected.

My buddy actually invested in a old external DVD burner from the late 90's that can do a perfect 2x write speed on the small discs, the Gamecube really loves these.
      My burner while supporting the smaller size (warning, no slot loading burners do) it can't burn lower than 4x speed, Gamecube is fussy about booting these.

Anyway the work around is to get a SD Gecko AND a Action Replay (original) disc.
      The AR menu will let you launch *.DOL directly from the SD card in the Gecko, that can be Swiss.
      Darksoft: CPS3, ST-V, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3

[genesis] [segacd] [saturn] [dreamcast_ss] [nes-101] [snes] [n64] [gamecube] [pce] [pcecd] [psx]
    • New

@jassin000 I had some new discs lying around from back in the day, think they were Verbatim. First try on a random burner worked perfectly fine. Made a nice combo disc with GBI on it as well :) And well, installing a XenoGC seems to be a challenge for some. That's why I got mine practically for free. Somebody fucked up the install and wanted to get rid of it. I've desoldered it, cleaned it up and made it a wired install instead. Problem solved within a few minutes and running perfectly now :)