What's new

twistedsymphony

Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
One SNK game that always intrigued me is the Irritating Maze. I've never had the opportunity to see one in person and I've even kept an eye out to see if a dedicated cab ever came up for sale because it looks like the kind of thing I'd like to own (not that I have the room).

I know this game runs on a MVS 1-slot and I believe it has a special bios to support the trackball. but I have some additional questions...

First what is the likelyhood of this game running on the upcoming MVS Multi?

Second does anyone know how, or even know of pictures/documentation as to how the air valve and valve control works on the dedicated cabinet? I think it would be cool to build a custom panel for this game with a functioning air compressor but I can't seem to find much info on this part of the game.

Also, anyone ever see the "deluxe" version of this?:
irairabou.jpg

If I recall correctly my irritating maze MV-1B look different (bottom of pcb) compare to my other 1B

I haven't really follow the multi much. If it support the unibios, you can enable the joystick version. Other than that it will be difficult to track down the I/O board and track ball. Now if anyone one want to make a generic board? I can lend my out :)

The air compressor, along with the lights are controlled by a ssr board.

First what is the likelyhood of this game running on the upcoming MVS Multi?
The NeoSD can run it, so I'm going to assume the Darksoft Multi can also as it's been said to run everything also. I know there's a joystick rom floating around and, as mentioned above, the Unibios should have a setting for joystick play. That said, the joystick patched version is insanely, insanely hard, so it's quite...irritating.

I know @Sp33dFr34k had a Irritating Maze kit at some point (cart+mobo+trackball and IO), maybe he still has some pics or documentation of that kit?

It be interesting to some some official paper work. Only thing I found was the scan at arcade museum. I might just have to dig my kit out if ppl want to see some pics

I know @Sp33dFr34k had a Irritating Maze kit at some point (cart+mobo+trackball and IO), maybe he still has some pics or documentation of that kit?
the problem with the kits is that they didn't support the air compressor/air valve system; only the dedicated cabs did. and that's the part I'm most interested in getting working, along with a trackball. I don't know if the hardware is different but at very least I'd need to know what the setup looked like. the parts diagram and wiring diagram in the manual on KLOV is pretty much useless.

I did indeed have one of those kits, but not the air valve system unfortunately.

NUZ2ktL.jpg

what do those two boards do?

also is that a normal MV-1B mainboard or something specific to the game?

Last edited:
the top one is the I/O for track ball. Bottom is the ssr for lights and air

XeD is right, top one is used for the trackball. I didn't use the other PCB but I think it's used for the other peripherals of the cab indeed.

The MV-1B belongs specifically to this set, I think the bios on it is slightly different, although I'm not sure what the exact difference is, I can imagine something specific to the analog controls maybe?

Yes it has a special bios that does not allow joysticks so if you wanted to play other games on the pcb you would need to swap the bios for a normal one.

I believe there is also a patched version of the game out there that allows you to use a regular joystick.

IS that trackball PCB used for any other games? are there any alternative ways to get trackball input without it?

As far as I know that is the only trackball game for neo geo

Back