What's new

Blackfish

Professional
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

So I'm finding these Taito Type X2 boards to be very prone to failure. I have 3 motherboards only 1 working. 2 with SFIV HDD and dongles and 1 with KOF with dongle. All 3 of these were working originally. One stopped working after being transported and another just randomly stopped for no obvious reason. I also have a multigame hdd that I've had working and been using for testing.
The last working one is starting to have its own issues. First starting with an incorrect date fault which went away after a reboot but has now reverted back to Japanese language settings and played fine until it was turned off. Now it won't start at all. No fans running.

The other ones have their own issues.

-One starts all fans running but nothing happens.
-The other the fans start, then stop, then start, then stop then they will stay on and I will get a series of beeps.

I have tested the RAM and GPU's on another standard PC motherboard and all seem to be working fine. I have tried reseating the processors but that hasn't made any difference. Tried different power supplies. Every now and then the mobo that beeps would randomly work, but it hasn't for awhile.

Any ideas on the best way to go about testing and repairing or replacing?

Don't want to touch the one that was working as I've had no luck with the other 2.

Is there a way to replace the motherboards with a generic mobo but use the other original parts?

Frustrated

On the first one, check and make sure the cable coming from the JVS card is securely seated on the front panel header. Also make sure the cable is securely seated on the JVS I/O card. If that doesnt work check the PSU and make sure the 24pin connector is securely seated on the motherboard. Not sure where you would see the "incorect date fault" error. Can you give more details?

The other two, if you've already tried resetting the CPU, and verified RAM and GPU. Then next step would be to replace the CPU. You can get them pretty cheap on ebay. You want a Pentium 4 SL9KE. If that doesnt solve your issue then I'd imagine the motherboard has died.

Motherboard replacements for the X2 are not cheap, and usually more than just buying another X2. But you could try to find another motherboard with the same Q965 chipset. It might not work with legit game drives but it could possibly work with my multi.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I will check the connections to all the peripherals tonight. Was trying to avoid opening it up as I was worried it could just make things worse. However it is kind of unavoidable. At least I have a lot of spare parts.
I will try starting it up tonight to see what happens. I need to see if the mobo lights are coming on. I dont think its a power supply. I'd say its waiting for the motherboard to turn on the power so something on the board isn't quite right.

I bought a bunch of processor but the wrong ones turned up. Got 4 P4 Duo's. I will try again to get the right ones.

I have been trying to source a new motherboard from Japan but not having much luck getting a reply from the vendor. They are a lot cheaper there. I have a friend in Tokyo but he has just had a baby so I dont want to hassle him at the moment.

I believe the multi I have is your one but probably an older version. Its a bit hard to check at the moment obviously. Haha. So frustrating. I definitely spend more time fixing machines than playing them these days.

incorrect date could mean the cmos battery is flat - I'll check what's in mine but I suspect it'll be a standard CR2032.

There's no power button on the type-x so it's possible the watchdog to switch it on isn't functioning so a loose connection or lack of power is most likely.

You can test the psu with a standard pc atx psu tester.

Sorry that you are having issues.. i have a x2 that also will not power on.. I am currently looking for a PSU because I think that the issue on mine..

I have not seen anyone in the forums selling a MB for the system and eBay prices are high but who knows keep your eyes open:).

The CMOS battery is soldered in and I read somewhere that if it is removed the custom bios setting are lost making the board unusable. Apparently the bios is locked and no one has cracked it yet to gain access to change the settings.
Start Up fault.jpg

Here's the start up fault. The one that sometimes starts, started last night and after rebooting and worked perfectly. Very temperamental boards.

As far as the power supply goes you can just use a standard PSU to until you find a replacement. I might have one spare original PSU if I have no luck reviving the 2 TTX2 I have that aren't working.

Really want to get at least 1 more going so I can use SFIV in Vs. mode. I have 2 Vewlix clones setup with Nesys for Vs play. Its painful as I also have a pair of Namco Noir cabinets I can't currently use either.

Removing the battery only affects deluxe type games which store a key in BIOS.

In your case it wont hurt to replace the battery.

Ok, so only an issue for games that don't come with a security dongle.

Replacing the battery on the only sometimes working motherboard I have....... Sounds like a great time hahah

I've ordered another bunch of processors to try on the other boards. Hopefully the correct ones this time.

Is reflowing one of the dodgy motherboards something that could be done?

Ok, so only an issue for games that don't come with a security dongle.
Replacing the battery on the only sometimes working motherboard I have....... Sounds like a great time hahah

I've ordered another bunch of processors to try on the other boards. Hopefully the correct ones this time.

Is reflowing one of the dodgy motherboards something that could be done?
I mean you could always try, the X2 is just a PC when you get down to it. The "industrial" motherboard is suppose to have higher grade caps but ultimately dust and heat will lead to their demise.

Back