What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.

Darksoft

Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
Voting is over, but if you want to have a look check here:
Which Option Do You Prefer For Darksoft's Neo-Geo Multigame Cartridge?

I'm making a small FAQ to avoid answering and answering again the same questions....

The goal at this moment is to have a cartridge based on FPGA+DDR that can hold 4 games at a time. I'm striking at the moment with the PROM bus which seems to be very fast, so I'm optimizing code and timing. I want this option to be 100% similar to an original cartridge, however if I see that this is not possible, I may have to switch back to Flash Roms. The cost of each solution is similar for the end user. The advantage of FPGA+DDR is that it will load a game in less than 10 seconds and can hold 4 games at the same time and the ARM+Flash (like STV Multi or CPS2 Multi) will load load the biggest game in 120 seconds and can only hold one game.
FPGA+DDR version always has to load when you power up, but ARM+Flash has zero load time, once the flash has been programmed.

I will not emulate any encryption hardware, the romsets will need to be decrypted to run.
I will also not add support for any new games like NG Dev Team. I will actually introduce some routines to stop them from working. I hope this is clear.

There will be 2 cartridges, one for AES and another for MVS. The design is 99-99% identical.
Cartridges will come with a plastic case like original MVS/AES Games.

It's still not clear if the cartridge will come with a menu incorporated like the chinese ones or will come with a LCD extension as usual.

Price without plastic shell will be around 400 USD.

Nice, really looking forward to both AES and MVS Multicart with a clean library and no china-clone-games ^^
I've stripped and scanned some MVS Carts and added them to the "StripClub":

http://stripclub.arcade-tv.de/
You'll find the 600dpi scans in SNK/NEOGEO/MVS

These are accurate, you can measure anything in PhotoShop and create flawless PCB-Outlines from that.
I started creating a pcb in Eagle some time ago, let me know if you want the files.

Nice, really looking forward to both AES and MVS Multicart with a clean library and no china-clone-games ^^
I've stripped and scanned some MVS Carts and added them to the "StripClub":

http://stripclub.arcade-tv.de/
You'll find the 600dpi scans in SNK/NEOGEO/MVS

These are accurate, you can measure anything in PhotoShop and create flawless PCB-Outlines from that.
I started creating a pcb in Eagle some time ago, let me know if you want the files.
I definitely want the files :)

Here you go.
I'll prep the PROG Board as well, haven't done that yet...

Attachments

• MVS_CHA-CART-PCB.zip
    11.6 KB · Views: 3,686
Nothing to add really except that I'm really looking forward to a "complete" collection without clones or overlap. Keep up the good work!

REALLY looking forward to this one! I love the idea of the board supporting both MVS and AES, but the two biggest things I'd like to see is a software menu for game selection and a way to still be able to shell the board as opposed to keeping it bare. Depending on the design of the board, it may end up having to be a custom shell, but I'll bet someone could whip up something nice with a 3D printer.

Really interested in the discussion that is bound to take place here and hear all the different ideas. I think I said it over on KLOV, but you know everyone will want something a little bit different from the next guy, but I can't imagine any reason I wouldn't get one or two of these, regardless of the feature set!

REALLY looking forward to this one! I love the idea of the board supporting both MVS and AES, but the two biggest things I'd like to see is a software menu for game selection and a way to still be able to shell the board as opposed to keeping it bare. Depending on the design of the board, it may end up having to be a custom shell, but I'll bet someone could whip up something nice with a 3D printer.

Really interested in the discussion that is bound to take place here and hear all the different ideas. I think I said it over on KLOV, but you know everyone will want something a little bit different from the next guy, but I can't imagine any reason I wouldn't get one or two of these, regardless of the feature set!
This Multi Game is definitely coming with MENU and with a plastic case :)

Just want to add great project guys,I'm really looking forward to this also ,hope it is incased as opposed to bare pcb, my AES awaits this neo multicart

Looks like this project is becoming a reality very soon.

Please feel free to post here your ideas, thoughts, suggestions, so they can be taken into account before the project starts, which will be very soon!
good to see this happening. A good all in one multicart has been needed for a long time, but the blowback from people in the neo scene has been too intense to make it happen. I'm on board with this 100% :) It would be nice if you were to partner with Arcade works on their Omega MVS shells.

Do you have a price range figured out yet?

I want to start putting money aside so I can order on day one! :D

Well then, I guess all I can say is...

futurama-shut-up-and-take-my-money-card-34.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D

I definitely want 1!!!!!!!
Most exciting news for this new forum.

I'm guessing a good part of the menu system set can be borrowed from the existing multi carts. Is the idea here to pretty much copy one of them but with an easier way to load software or is this going to be like your existing multi carts where it will load flash chips from an sd card and we will have to reboot the system or hit the game switch button? Hopefully this will work like the existing carts where it can keep game settings.

Either way I'd love to replace my existing 160 in 1 cart. I haven't powered on my AES system in years but I might be interested in an AES cart as well.

I'm not sure if this is possible, but it would be a cool feature for the MVS version. The ability to pull up and cycle through the game list on screen via a combination of buttons like the A+B+C+D+ Game select button. In theory it would eliminate the need to run a cable with an attached pcb or open the machine every time you wanted to switch a game. Another feature that would be nice is the ability to retain saved data (such as high score, ect.) each time you (re)load a game. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Looks like this project is becoming a reality very soon.

Please feel free to post here your ideas, thoughts, suggestions, so they can be taken into account before the project starts, which will be very soon!
good to see this happening. A good all in one multicart has been needed for a long time, but the blowback from people in the neo scene has been too intense to make it happen. I'm on board with this 100% :) It would be nice if you were to partner with Arcade works on their Omega MVS shells.
100% agree with this. Would be awesome if they could come up with a custom color for these shells :love:

Put me up for one as well!

Maybe it would be possible to interact/activate via UNIBIOS (which I assume everybody has)?

Not sure if this has been discussed or decided yet, but will the same cart support both MVS and AES ? If so, how would that be implemented ? Not sure if the cart would have two different connectors on it, or if it would be an MVS cart and then a MVS to AES converter would be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back