What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, really looking forward to both AES and MVS Multicart with a clean library and no china-clone-games ^^
Well, there are certain bootlegs that are worth including. For example...

"SNK vs. Capcom: SVC Chaos Plus," which includes boss characters like Athena. That bootleg is a better game than the original because of the unlocked characters.

And didn't somebody make a fixed Metal Gear 2 that reduced the slowdown to a manageable level? [edit: patch linked on page 2 of the thread.]

Last edited:
Yeah, I meant to type Metal Slug 2 there.

Alex linked the slowdown fixed file on the previous page:
I'd love to have the ability to use the Metal Slug 2 anti-slowdown patch installed: http://blog.system11.org/?p=1442

My most wanted to see option with an MVS/AES multi-cart, like others have said, is the ability to start the last loaded rom automatically. This is one of the main reasons that I don't play the Chinese multi carts that I have that much...if I turn on my machine, I sometimes just want to play the same game for days or weeks on end.

Last edited:
I don't think it's been requested yet; but could you make it so that the multi-game menu can be disabled and we can assign any game as the automatic startup title?

I'd just like the option, once in a while, to make it look like the multicart is a legit MVS single-game cart as my 4-slot cycles though the attract screen of each cart in the slot.

I second that ^^
Locking the Cart into a single game would be nice as it also very SoftDip-friendly...

Having the last played game at startup is great. Having the 5 most played games in a menu item would be nice too. This way, you can have the full library, but your favourite games close at hand.

I am super excited...
lets just say my money has been put away for this hahahaha.
Also a lot of good suggestions are being posted.
love the attract feature cycling games as well as soft dip memory.

Please put me down for one.. my wallet is open and full of money right now….help yourself:)

I'd love to see a menu that's easy to customize, say using bitmap images? Gif or mng support would be nice as well, for animated menus. This way, owners can make and share "skins" for the menu. Just dropping the needed bitmaps in the right place on the memory card for easy goings. Since the NEO-GEO is 99.9% horizontal games only, a nice layout should be quite easy to do. Nobody wants a Chinese multi-looking cart menu, right? Another menu feature I'd love to see is some sort of Soft Dips for it, so you set it up to your liking:

Choose between
* Basic list layout
* Full screen preview of games using the correct resolution so the preview doesn't look like shit
* Genre filter
* Support for GUI sound effects (select, enter, etc)
* GUI object layouts (having buttons on screen, only using the control panel's action buttons etc.

I'd be glad to whip up some GUI examples, based on popular MAME frontends.
While I don't like the image on the 161 cart I really don't think the menu system is bad. Really if I could get a cart that works just like it but either has every real game or a way for me to load every real game I'd be happy. Everything past that is gravy in my mind. Sure it would be nice to load the hacks that I want(or roms of the newer third party stuff). A menu that can be adjusted further would be nice too.
I'm afraid saving soft-dip-settings on a cart is not possible
I'm not a coder... I have noticed however that some of the games on the multi X-in-One carts have altered difficulty settings (default values changed from "level 4" to "level 8" in most cases) when compared with the original games/carts. IF these default values ARE stored in the game program (ROM) they CAN be patched/altered to be different either dynamically before flashing, or worse case being hand edited before placement on the SD card/storage medium...
So it would in fact be 100% possible, just not in the way you described above (SRAM saving).
Yea a lot of the games on my 160 cart were set weird. I personally would change them and set the games to show level and credits at the bottom of the screen. That way I could tell if I had adjusted it. Not sure how it works with the cart but my 2 slot with stock bios seems to remember pretty much all of them I've changed.

It would be nice to have this working on a new multi cart. Not sure how one could do it practically. I just don't know how it is done now.

The best looking on screen menu that I've personally seen was on the 138in1, which was also the only bootleg cart to allow games to be hidden. What made that menu nice was it showed actual screen shots of the games you were picking. None of the other carts have that...which is odd, as even stuff like the Game Elf with over 400+ games does. It's something that really made finding games to play easy if you aren't familiar with the MVS library.

Obviously, that's a lot of work, but another decent option in on screen menus is having the games sorted by genre, which is something that the 120in1 somewhat does (even if they don't specifically say the genre). It's not as intuitive as it could be, though, as the games are just in their in a random order. So maybe a simple ABC list is best. ^^;

I think the best solution would be to make use of a config file that's saved on the sc card which handles all the naming, sorting, showing & hiding and grouping of the genres.

Could look like this:
Code:
[GENRES]
1=Head-to-Head Fighting
2=Shooting
3=Action
4=Sports
5=Quiz

[GAMES]
Title=Art of Fighting / Ryuuko no Ken
Genre=1
Folder=aof
NGH=44
Hide=0 // set to 1 to hide from menu
This way the user can do pretty much anything with the menu.

The best looking on screen menu that I've personally seen was on the 138in1, which was also the only bootleg cart to allow games to be hidden. What made that menu nice was it showed actual screen shots of the games you were picking. None of the other carts have that...which is odd, as even stuff like the Game Elf with over 400+ games does. It's something that really made finding games to play easy if you aren't familiar with the MVS library.
It's true but the front end on the 138 in 1 is provided by an additional PCB between the MVS slot and the JAMMA comb.
LCD display rules :)

I'd love to see a menu that's easy to customize, say using bitmap images? Gif or mng support would be nice as well, for animated menus. This way, owners can make and share "skins" for the menu. Just dropping the needed bitmaps in the right place on the memory card for easy goings. Since the NEO-GEO is 99.9% horizontal games only, a nice layout should be quite easy to do. Nobody wants a Chinese multi-looking cart menu, right? Another menu feature I'd love to see is some sort of Soft Dips for it, so you set it up to your liking:

Choose between
* Basic list layout
* Full screen preview of games using the correct resolution so the preview doesn't look like shit
* Genre filter
* Support for GUI sound effects (select, enter, etc)
* GUI object layouts (having buttons on screen, only using the control panel's action buttons etc.

I'd be glad to whip up some GUI examples, based on popular MAME frontends.
I think this is a great idea. Kinda like what you can do with the PVGTech Taito multiboards but more functionality and more user friendly.

I would love to see some of your GUI examples emph. It would help to get some ideas and discussion flowing.

Just a really quick mockup:

menu.gif

as much as I'd love something like that - I can't imagine that this is gonna happen.
it would require extensive work of a homebrew developer and would eat up a LOT of ressources.

The sole idea of a NeoGeo multicart compatible both with MVS and AES HW is beyond awesome. Had the chance to talk about it recently with Darksoft in Barcelona and all I can say is I'm really excited about this.

After the CPS3, ST-V and CPS-2 multi I can perfectly imagine this becoming a reality... maybe I can finally play some Ironclad on my cab! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back