What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
support for ngdev games would be cool, although im not sure how feasable that would be?
That will not happen. That would be competing with those guys, which are one of the few ones making new cool games for NEOGEO.In any case, their games are so big, that won't fit in the memory of the multi.
Is amount of memory the only thing blocking ngdev games? I do a little neogeo homebrew in my free time and honestly am really looking forward to playing it on a real mvs. There isn't really an affordable neogeo flashkit usable for development.I agree with not wanting to step on the toes of people doing it as their job though.
it's not just the space that is a potential issue.. It's the piracy component. NG:DEV does some amazing work, and making it possible to put their games on this new flash cart opens up some pretty bad arguments/discussions/possibilities for everyone in this scene that does homebrew.
I wouldn't mind an official support for NG:DEV games. Like, I pay a licence fee and I get an official ROM (either with some DRM tying it to my registered flash card of with my ID bounded into the ROM for prosecution if I share it). Some carts are sold out and won't be remade, and many people just won't buy a cart but would still pay a fee to legally play the game.

I want to say that I read in one of the many threads around that they have been approached for official support for something like this in the past and refused. But yes, a system like this would be awesome. ArcadeSD does this with D2K. Basically, each board has a serial number which you enter when you go to a purchase site to buy the game license. You serial is verified and your game is unlocked. Do a n update to your ArcadeSD board and the game is then available.

The danger to harm the full cartridge business is probably to high. Unless those ROM unlocks would be 200 EUR per game or something unrealistic...

Currently the only game out of print is NEO XYX.

The danger to harm the full cartridge business is probably to high. Unless those ROM unlocks would be 200 EUR per game or something unrealistic...

Currently the only game out of print is NEO XYX.
As I mentioned before. NG:DEV told me that their games are bigger than the regular game, so thats enough as no game will fully load.

I will never support software lockouts... I really want this cart, but most importantly I really want this cart open!

Serial numbers unlocking legal downloads? Is this really what WE want for the arcade enthusiast community???
I'm asking ^!

I do support the cart being unable to load NGDEV games because of size limitations, so long as said limitation has no effect on loading original MVS/AES games.

I can see how that would be unpopular (mainly among people who want to play NGDEV games). I do not see this as Darksoft's problem, or why he should provide a solution (aka you should be asking NGDEV for reprints/whatever).

NG DEV games aren't a big deal to me.

It will work with a Unibios I hope. I'm no longer a true arcade gamer as I like to pause a game for whatever real life throws at me. :P Tell me how fun it is trying to finish MS 3 without a break.

I honestly can't name any NG DEV game. That's how out of the Neo-Geo loop I am at the moment....

I will never support software lockouts... I really want this cart, but most importantly I really want this cart open!

Serial numbers unlocking legal downloads? Is this really what WE want for the arcade enthusiast community???
I'm asking ^!

I do support the cart being unable to load NGDEV games because of size limitations, so long as said limitation has no effect on loading original MVS/AES games.

I can see how that would be unpopular (mainly among people who want to play NGDEV games). I do not see this as Darksoft's problem, or why he should provide a solution (aka you should be asking NGDEV for reprints/whatever).
Working for free, is that you want ? Open is one thing, but it can't justify not supporting people working hard to provide the said community...

If the NG DEV were the same size as your standard library of Neo games then the cart would have the ability to play them. I'm sure there would be no software lock. Especially after the whole debacle at a few of the other forums regarding the CPS2 kit and the phoenix block. I will not start that argument over here again but we never should have agreed to it. The only good thing that came from that situation is these forums. We play by our own rules here and answer to no one when we decide to do certain things with our projects. We want to take lots of peoples ideas into consideration but if someone tries to dictate to us how we MUST do things we will not so kindly tell them to fuck off.

We do want to support other people in the arcade scene and luckily the rom size is a fortunate way to not have to deal with any blocks and keep the independent devs happy.

I'm definitely in for one of these.

My only suggestion/request would be to make it not as picky as the multi-CPS-II on which memory cards it accepts.

And that it wouldn't be as confused by foreign files. Like the .DS_Store files that OSX creates. Possibly just have it ignore files that it's not expecting...

I'd definitely be down for 1. As a feature request, would it be possible to re-engineer the firmware flashing method from the Multi-cps2? Having to solder in a bunch of stuff just to update the firmware is a little hard.

I'm also in.
I'm very excited to get one.

Good luck DarkSoft with the engineering!

I'd definitely be down for 1. As a feature request, would it be possible to re-engineer the firmware flashing method from the Multi-cps2? Having to solder in a bunch of stuff just to update the firmware is a little hard.
there are only 2 ways you can update firmware when using one of those ST chips that Pablo uses, and any for that matter

1. completely DE-solder the chip, clean it with solder wick and then find an adaptor and programmer for it that will program it. then solder it back in (hot air re work)

or

2. do the easy way of a few soldered pins & make a easy cable and buy a discovery for £12 delivered

there is no 3rd way (but maybe Pablo can pre-solder the pins in for us in future runs)

I already have an idea for this. I'll run it by darksoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back