What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
and...when you load a new game, you unload that configuration. But I'm afraid that AFAIK the configs/records are stored in the Motherboard itself. Am I right?
the neogeo has a battery for the clock and game settings.
but we're not talking about game settings, we're talking about the flash cart settings, and then just which game is loaded.
a simple text config file on the microsd card would be enough. on boot the ARM checks for the file, if present it boots whatever game is listed. when a new game is flashed the ARM re-writes the config file for the current game just before the auto-reset.

What do you think of my idea?

Those modules are 5V ready, have enough pins for AES. SDRam could be fast enough to be mapped as multiple ROM Modules. What else is required?

We know enough about the custom chips on the carts from mame?

Problem 400€ (has enough sdram) or 700€ (has more sdram, gigashock ready ^^) for those 2 Modules. + two cheap pcb

Just hopped in to say I will buy one when it comes out. 100%.

You'd be one of the very few at that price. 700 Euro would be obscenely expensive.

For me the price would have to be no more than $200 US, but having it at around $80 like the 161-1 would be greatly preferable.

That said, I fully support this and am very much looking forward to having a proper all-in-1 cart solution that puts the Chinese bootleggers out of business.

You'd be one of the very few at that price. 700 Euro would be obscenely expensive.

For me the price would have to be no more than $200 US, but having it at around $80 like the 161-1 would be greatly preferable.

That said, I fully support this and am very much looking forward to having a proper all-in-1 cart solution that puts the Chinese bootleggers out of business.
Taking into account that the CPS2 Multi had one PCB populated + another PCB without any Chips on it and price was around $300, if we can mimic that process in NEOGEO price would in this case about $350. Bottom line, no chance that it will cost $80 nor $200.

Sorry, that high number was from me, thinking about using pre made moduls for a private prototype. I dont even know if that what i was talking about would even work. (using sdram to map multible buses).

Sorry, did not mean to mess up darksofts thread.

Taking into account that the CPS2 Multi had one PCB populated + another PCB without any Chips on it and price was around $300, if we can mimic that process in NEOGEO price would in this case about $350.
hehe! it should be a bit cheaper because there will only be resistors there not 1000 74LV4245 buffers ;)

could the storage be a USB flash drive instead of all those ROMs? I mean use a USB flash drive like they use HDDs on older arcade games, as raw unformatted storage. there's a chip in the flash drive to interface with the NAND inside so you wouldn't have to handle that part yourself. there would still be the PC-readable microSD but the data could be written to a USB flash drive directly.
The issue I see is maybe the USB drive wouldn't be able to pump out the data fast enough to all the buses (prg+snd+gfx)
But if it could work it would save a lot of parts.

Taking into account that the CPS2 Multi had one PCB populated + another PCB without any Chips on it and price was around $300, if we can mimic that process in NEOGEO price would in this case about $350. Bottom line, no chance that it will cost $80 nor $200.
That's fair. $350 is still better than 700 Euros though.

$350-ish sounds cool to me. As long as it'll be as good as we all know it's gonna be. :)

Taking into account that the CPS2 Multi had one PCB populated + another PCB without any Chips on it and price was around $300, if we can mimic that process in NEOGEO price would in this case about $350.
hehe! it should be a bit cheaper because there will only be resistors there not 1000 74LV4245 buffers ;)
could the storage be a USB flash drive instead of all those ROMs? I mean use a USB flash drive like they use HDDs on older arcade games, as raw unformatted storage. there's a chip in the flash drive to interface with the NAND inside so you wouldn't have to handle that part yourself. there would still be the PC-readable microSD but the data could be written to a USB flash drive directly.
The issue I see is maybe the USB drive wouldn't be able to pump out the data fast enough to all the buses (prg+snd+gfx)
But if it could work it would save a lot of parts.
Mmmm that's a very good idea to make it cheaper, but that would mean that the USB would have to be sOOO quick and so well synchronized that would be able to respond to all the requests of all the buses OnTime and I should be able to handle all that switching on real time....I almost got a headache thinking about it :) LOL
In any case I think these type of memories have a very quick transmission speed (in bursts) but the setup time is a killer, so If I'm not mistaken that's a no-go.

The beauty of using NOR Flashes is that they have a wide beautiful Address Bus and they are working independently....Also the number of hours of design I have to spend and the possible sources of failures is smaller.

I also thought about using NAND flashes instead of NOR, but again that serial address bus and the longer setup time can be a kick in the nuts.

I also thought about using bigger NOR flashes but they have a much longer programming time than these Greenliant which btw can be programmed up to 100.000 times :)

About The buffers...yeah :) I'll use them only to level shift the address bus from 5V to 3.3V. I don't think I 'll use them again for Data bus... grrrrr

Would it be in the realm of possibility for USB 3.0 or 3.1 to provide the speed required to have that as an option?

Is there summary of "would-like-features" done?

And what is actually do-able..

This is the place to make all your wishes regarding that cartridge :)

Feel free to post. I'll put them all in the first post of this thread.

At this moment it will Flash memory based, as usual
Still to be decided if menu based or LCD Panel based (as CPS2)
Games loaded from microSD into the flashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back