What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw, I tried a couple of these games in MAME and work well for me.
Well, I asked about it and it seems that is MAME that decrypts the games, then, those ROMs will not work on AES if the deprotecting chip is not used.

The algorithm to decrypts the ROMs is known but not known how work the owner chip to get make one.

The multi-game cartridges use decrypt or hacked ROMs but it have graphics errors or uses alphas versions where the protection was not installed but those ROMs are different to the final versions and have bugs too.

The algorithm to decrypts the ROMs is known but not known how work the owner chip to get make one.
Can you rephrase that?
Yes, I can try it...

Some NeoGeo games are encrypted, a lot of them are interesting games. It seems that the algorithm to decode those ROMs was discovered time ago and it is used by MAME to run Neogeo games without problems but in an original AES cartridge, the algorithm is "installed" in to a SNK proprietary microchip: An exclusive chip manufactured by SNK and nobody knows how it works and for that reason anyone has managed to make a duplicate.

Without this chip we can not decrypt the original ROMs, our last option is to use decrypt or hacked ROMs but those ROMs have graphics errors and sound problems... or we can use Alphas ROMs versions where the protection was not installed but those ROMs are different to the final versions and have bugs too and there aren't alphas for all encrypted games.

Can you rephrase that?
Yes, I can try it...
Some NeoGeo games are encrypted, a lot of them are interesting games. It seems that the algorithm to decode those ROMs was discovered time ago and it is used by MAME to run Neogeo games without problems but in an original AES cartridge, the algorithm is "installed" in to a SNK proprietary microchip: An exclusive chip manufactured by SNK and nobody knows how it works and for that reason anyone has managed to make a duplicate.

Without this chip we can not decrypt the original ROMs, our last option is to use decrypt or hacked ROMs but those ROMs have graphics errors and sound problems... or we can use Alphas ROMs versions where the protection was not installed but those ROMs are different to the final versions and have bugs too and there aren't alphas for all encrypted games.
AFAIK, if the encryption algorithm is known since a long time, there should be no issues on decrypted roms. Am I missing something?

DS says: If Mame can play it, so can the multi cart

Goody asks:
If Mame can play it (because it's decrypted already) then so can the multi cart. -fine

If Mame can play it (but does on-the-fly decryption of the encrypted romset in order to play in mame) then how can the multi cart play it? this is what goody wants the clarification on.

Can you rephrase that?
Yes, I can try it...Some NeoGeo games are encrypted, a lot of them are interesting games. It seems that the algorithm to decode those ROMs was discovered time ago and it is used by MAME to run Neogeo games without problems but in an original AES cartridge, the algorithm is "installed" in to a SNK proprietary microchip: An exclusive chip manufactured by SNK and nobody knows how it works and for that reason anyone has managed to make a duplicate.

AFAIK, if the encryption algorithm is known since a long time, there should be no issues on decrypted roms. Am I missing something?
Can you name a game or two where that happens? If what you mean is that I would need to make a new chip, then that will not happen, either I crack the game or decrypt it forever.

Can you name a game or two where that happens? If what you mean is that I would need to make a new chip, then that will not happen, either I crack the game or decrypt it forever.
Any games with CHAFIO board have graphics encrypted. PROG boards using NEO-SMA, NEO-PVC, or Metal Slug X encryption have protected program ROMs. Garou Densetsu 2/Fatal Fury 2 will need patching to remove protection, as well.

leo, please enlighten us here. Am I right saying that a decrypted dump of te graphics would do the job in those games with a CHAFIO?

Is also correct that the protected code can just be dumped from mame and with some patching will work? Is there something not known stopping these games from running properly?

I don't know much about the work involved on it right now, (besides a vague idea of what might have to be done) but once means of testing are made available we can sure have a look at it. What I can say for sure is that MAME is the way to obtain the decrypted data to start working with (same as how it's made with CPS2 stuff).

I dream about this muligames cartridge and I will buy it as soon as it will be available, if I can !
Here is what I would like to find (don't know if it's feasible):
  • A simple frontend (a list and and in game picture for each game), with the possibility to jump to the previous/next page with left/right and to switch to a specific letter by maintaining left or right (as in hyperspin). With these 2 browsing capabilities, I think you can select easily and quickly a game.
  • An SD / microSD card containing:
    • a folder with the games we like and we can change as we want
    • a folder structure for customising the "frontend" i.e being able to customize the game list (and add maybe a picture of the in game)
  • Save states in all the games
  • Support of unibios, I mean if it's possible to store the settings applied on each game
  • Availability of ngdevteam's games (kraut buster, razion...)
It's good to dream ;)

Last edited:
Unfortunately NGDevteam uses special hardware in their games AFAIK and that won't be supported here as they are active developers. I'm sure that some games that are CD only will get ported over at some point.

NGDEV games will not be supported. That was decided before we even put a design on paper. Sorry.

what sup guys does anyone know where to get uni bios mod done for the neo geo aes ?

No NGDEV games, no encrypted games and 400 $

I am losing enthusiasm for this project...
Why no encrypted games bother you? It doesn't mean you can't play them. It means we will have to make special ROMs for them. How come that is a problem?

I'm in no way an authority, but I imagine Darksoft will have to use some sort of fpga, etc, to implement

No NGDEV games, no encrypted games and 400 $

I am losing enthusiasm for this project...
Why no encrypted games bother you? It doesn't mean you can't play them. It means we will have to make special ROMs for them. How come that is a problem?
I'm guessing he's one of those people that thinks the rom has to be a byte perfect duplicate for it to be worth playing. I've run into those people before. I don't understand the line of thinking, but I've run into it.

I'm in no way an authority, but I imagine Darksoft will have to use some sort of fpga, etc, to implement

I'm guessing he's one of those people that thinks the rom has to be a byte perfect duplicate for it to be worth playing. I've run into those people before. I don't understand the line of thinking, but I've run into it.
I'm trying to reach that level of quality with my CPS2 decrypts. It's possible to make flawless decrypts. Gets rid of the dangerous battery and made things like the CPS2 multi possible. So I don't see the point on being against decrypts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back