What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't it be much simpler and efficient to build the cart "one-game-per-sd-card"?
This way a menu or selector-logic can be neglected, the cost can be drastically lowered and last but not least it would behave like a real cart.

I know y'all want it all - every single game, menu and even saving-functions.. but I think a simple and solid solution will appeal to more buyers due to lower cost and still do the trick, being able to play any game you want on it...

just my 5 cents.
I don't think the selector-logic is what makes this board expensive, but the fact that it's a 6 layer PCB - which means basically means that you have 3 'normal' pcb's sandwiched together to make one + the components to make it work which I think includes an FPGA. I'm not sure why this is needed, but I suspect it's a cheaper option than having enormous parallel flashes with the same access times as the eproms used in an original cart.

The idea still remains. You can load/unload games from the configuration menu, so everytime you turn it on it will load the game you want directly.

I don't think the selector-logic is what makes this board expensive
that's clear. but having to utilize just ONE flash-rom instead of many and concentrating on mapping just ONE game, maybe the needed FPGA or CPLD can be smaller, the layer-count can be cut down to 2 and any extra-hardware (even if it's only meant for testing) can be neglected...

i'm with DarkSoft. Given the cost of memory it would be silly not to have multiple games. Besides, given that the NeoGeo Library is over 150 games, that's a lot of SD cards to have floating around. It might be something like the everdrives. I read some place that since it loaded a default rom for the system menu that you could rename any rom to that and it would just go into that game on startup.

In either case I'm happy please continue the good work Darksoft and I hope that we hear more soon. I'm slowly building up a fund to order one of these.

One SD Card per game?

If you wanted to do this you can. Just load one game per card. Or put them all on one card.

It defeats the purpose of a multi cart to have each game on it's own SD card.

Alternatively, those that want one game per cart to work like the original cart just need to buy 150+ carts from DS, problem solved, you can have carts for the entire library or just the games you want. I am sure DS would not mind. :D

Just poking fun guys.

how would buying 150 sd cards be more efficient. bad idea imo
as if you had to buy that many cards... try a google search "how to erase files off an sd-card and copy some other data to it".

But since the plans seem to be "4 games at a time" efficiency just gained by factor 4.

as if you had to buy that many cards... try a google search "how to erase files off an sd-card and copy some other data to it".
But since the plans seem to be "4 games at a time" efficiency just gained by factor 4.
So this is more efficient than multiple games on the cart? - removing an sd card, putting SD card in computer, erasing SD card, loading files, removing sd card, putting back into flashcart. very efficient

OK Guys. I believe that what Alex meant is to have a set of microsd with your favourite games, like replacing the carts with sdcards. Or as the library is pretty big, you can have one microsd with shooting, another with Jump&Runs, another with beat'em ups, etc.

Either option will be possible if someone wants to go that road, but the main use is to have a BIG microSD with all the games. First protos will com with LCD and my intention is it to come with a Menu, so people can easily navigate. Actually I would like that menu to have the possibility to show a screen for each game. Of course for those who want it to be as transparent as possible, the menu should only show up when called, otherwise it will load one game and run.

If the menu allows usage of custom lists (in .xml or just plain .txt format), people can make lists and share here for example. TOP FIGHTING GAMES, HIDDEN GEMS, NEO-GEO TOP 20, etc. Have a folder called GAMELISTS and you can just drop/remove the ones you want while having the full library in case you are bored or have guests over.

If the menu allows usage of custom lists (in .xml or just plain .txt format), people can make lists and share here for example. TOP FIGHTING GAMES, HIDDEN GEMS, NEO-GEO TOP 20, etc. Have a folder called GAMELISTS and you can just drop/remove the ones you want while having the full library in case you are bored or have guests over.
That sounds like a good idea....

@Darksoft
A few pages back there was a little disussion about a slot in the shell to access the mSD card from the outside.
Do you have any plans for this? I mean for most of the peeps it's enough to put a mSD with all games on it once and close it for good.

But what about homebrew peeps? I'd be interested in writing NG code once this card is released and I'm sure you can see the hassle that would cause for homebrew devs :D

That would depend on HArdware Magic who is the guy making the shells. He's done the shells so that they will be identical to AES Shells. The question is that any slight modification to the mold may be considerably expensive.

At this stage I think that probably a mechanical rework would be the best option.

Just had a pixelated dream about this Neo Geo Multicart hence put my thoughts to art in MS Paint:

NGMC.png

Is the slot a micro SD or a normal SD?

If it's a micro SD is it the eject type?

But what about homebrew peeps? I'd be interested in writing NG code once this card is released and I'm sure you can see the hassle that would cause for homebrew devs :D
I know the EverDrive-64 v3 comes with:
  • USB port 800k - 1Mbyte/s. USB port useful for developers
Would that be doable on the Neogeo multi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back