What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Darksoft - Quick request for information: what's the power draw like on the cart? I know the 161 multi is pretty high, and it seems the NeoSD is actually the same as a standard MVS cart. Just curious to know where it falls on the spectrum. Thanks!

@Darksoft - Quick request for information: what's the power draw like on the cart?
Darksoft is giving us either one of the following options to power his multi cart:

Tony_Stark's_New_Element_02.png

or

medium_xk2njfdjti4l0qedze6ckhc8xhspxhgbyaueuemhcg_brunton-hydrogen-reactor.jpg

Cause his multi is too freaking awesome, it will need its own power source to keep up with all the cool features. :)

Seriously though, I am sure Darksoft's multicarts operate within the limits of the originally design cart specs and it should work with all supported motherboards without putting any additional strain on the systems/psu.

@Darksoft - Quick request for information: what's the power draw like on the cart?
Darksoft is giving us either one of the following options to power his multi cart:
Tony_Stark's_New_Element_02.png

or

medium_xk2njfdjti4l0qedze6ckhc8xhspxhgbyaueuemhcg_brunton-hydrogen-reactor.jpg

Cause his multi is too freaking awesome, it will need its own power source to keep up with all the cool features. :)

Seriously though, I am sure Darksoft's multicarts operate within the limits of the originally design cart specs and it should work with all supported motherboards without putting any additional strain on the systems/psu.
Hit the nail on the head :) That's the idea :)

Clearly he's not looking to fry anyone's system. I was just curious if he had an actual number yet. If the answer is no, then that's fine.

So it seems I should just assume the answer to any future questions will be 'ours will be better'?

So it seems I should just assume the answer to any future questions will be 'ours will be better'?
no need for the snark - I think it's pretty clear they would give us a power draw if they had one finalized. if you take the time to read through all the information on these forums about the cart and compare to neo-sd , then yes - it is looking like the clear superior product

I've read every post. I've been here since day one. I was simply asking if he had a number.

The tone of this forum has changed since the launch of the NeoSD. It seems to be much more cynical now. They made it to market first (and out of nowhere), and that certainly seems to have kindled a spirit of competition. But it also seems to have brought on this 'their shit is total garbage, and our will be better' war cry.

I mean... I guess?

I'm very much looking forward to Darksoft's cart, and I do hope it offers a superior experience.

There's optimism, and then there's blind devotion driven by 'us vs them'.

I've read every post. I've been here since day one. I was simply asking if he had a number.

The tone of this forum has changed since the launch of the NeoSD. It seems to be much more cynical now. They made it to market first (and out of nowhere), and that certainly seems to have kindled a spirit of competition. But it also seems to have brought on this 'their shit is total garbage, and our will be better' war cry.

I mean... I guess?

I'm very much looking forward to Darksoft's cart, and I do hope it offers a superior experience.

There's optimism, and then there's blind devotion driven by 'us vs them'.
Guys cool down. I will not allow any drama.
I'm very much looking at the power usage and I don't have a 100% sure answer yet, although I have a very good idea of where we are and it's where we want it to be in terms of power usage. I will measure some data for
@mistahsnart and I'll accurate results here.
If there are questions I don't answer clearly it's because I can't say 100% sure yet.

As I said, this is a long run venture, not a sprint. A quick start won't make you win the race.

dudes relax, I use the 168 in 1 with a magic key adapter in a AES, and I don't have any problems whatsoever, what's the deal about this power issue thing?

dudes relax, I use the 168 in 1 with a magic key adapter in a AES, and I don't have any problems whatsoever, what's the deal about this power issue thing?
I brought it up. GadgetUK did a great review of the NeoSD on his YT channel, and noted power usage of it vs the various multi carts. It just got me curious where Darksoft's solution is on the scale, that's all. I didn't mean anything by it. Just 100% curiosity. I'm a nerd, and this is a place for nerdy things. :)

And agreed on the power draw. I use a 161-in-1 on my MV1C CMVS with a 5v 3A adapter. I've had ZERO issues ever with power. So power draw is not a concern, and it definitely shouldn't be for anyone else.

@Darksoft - Thank you for the reply. No drama was intended by my original question, and I apologize for the misunderstandings.

Last edited:
It's if you consolized a new geo mvs arcade board that there's concerns with power. For example, I have a one slot mvs that in the instructions you need about 5-7 amps. No biggie "if" you have an arcade power supply. For me, I use a 2 amp hard drive power adapter (uses molex connector like on ide hard drives) that way you don't have to splice power cords or use a chunky out of the case pc power supply with wires going everywhere. I can play official games as well as the 138 and 161 multicart without issue but if we go over 2 amps in my case I'd have to change my power supply to my arcadeforge supergun. For my needs I only play neo geo games on my supergun and I have 9 other systems (pretty much all modded in some form) for my retro game setup. Didn't want to have any kind of exposed wires or added bulk since all my systems and receiver are on 3 narrow glass shelves under my tv. I really don't think it will be an issue since we are using modern parts and it has to work on all mvs boards. I bet darksoft is watching the power levels but if you need a tester my hand is raised up high! :thumbup:

I also have the magic key latest version and it gives graphical glitches on my 5v AES while it works ok with my 9-10v model.

Mmm I don't have experience with the 5V models, I have a 9V 2A brick in my AES and works flawlessly .

I've never had any issues playing the 161 in 1 cart using a Magic Key converter. BTW, does anyone know the total size of the Neo Geo library? The largest SD card I own is 32Gb, which I hope is enough.

OK Guys, sorry for the silence. I'm working as much as I can on the cart. You'll get an amazing video very soon.

As I mentioned in previous posts we already got the plastic cases for MVS and AES which will be offered as default. The AES cases are brand new from a new mold...

I'm checking all the options that competition is offering to make sure we have a much better solution.

Stay tuned...

I'm a 40yr old, mooching around here who just wants to say this thread, right here, makes it feel like Christmas... that hasn't happened for me in years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back