What's new
Status
Not open for further replies.
Loading times are impressive. I remembering loading a Super Famicom game using diskettes on the old Super Magicom copier. When I love and collect a lot of the old copiers that made history, who would want to load a game today from diskettes having a Flash Cart?
Ladies and gentleman, this is simple...
NeoSD = Diskettes
Darksoft's Multi = Flash cart
\o/.k.

Wow, that looks very good! Especially, when it wil be possible to load one slot directly (from the menu or passing the starting screen).
Loading times are, including the intial slot load, fantastic, overall.
Menu music seems to get out of sync, but games are surely more important ;)
Lookinfg forward to the retail version :thumbup:

I expected no less from DS. Thank you. Will order as soon as I can! The loading times are very tolerable, glad I didn't buy the Neo SD. Worth the wait.

Bona feina @Darksoft :thumbup:

For the waiting list... are you going to take into consideration the order of the users that posted in the other thread?

I was the number 5 posting in there :D

@Darksoft - Can you please confirm a few things for me? The video confused me...

- Can you disable the pre-loaded 3 games? While it seems like an awesome feature for MVS users, I imagine most AES users will want to select their game each time.

- Booting to the game menu was discussed, but not showed in the video. Can it be set so that when it powers on, it just goes strait to the game select menu, without loading anything else at all?

- When a game is selected, can it just auto-launch after it loads? In the video, it seemed like it HAS to load into one of the three slots.

- I thought it supported roms in subfolders, so people can navigate to the directories they created? Having romsets with subdirectories like "hacks", "Shooters", etc is one of the best things about ROM carts, since you can sort things however you'd like. Having everything in a root directory is confusing...especially for games that have many versions. It's one of my biggest complaints about the NeoSD.

- How are games with save info treated? Is the savegame data saved to the SD card immediately? Is it done manually? If all data is lost when the consoles is powered off, I'm curious how this is handled.

Also, I'm sure I'm gonna get hate-posts for this, but I have some constructive criticism:

Your load time video's weren't fair. DS's cart obviously blows away the load time for all the larger games, but for the smaller games, you guys stopped the clock after the game flashed, not after the game loaded. A more fair comparison is how long it takes to start the actual game from power-off. At the moment, it looks like the NeoSD would be faster for smaller games, since it boots immediately (instead of loading the 3 slot games) and automatically starts the game after it loads (rather than having t go back to the menu). That being said, there's no comparing the two with the larger games that took the NeoSD over two minutes to load! You could have showed a fair video and still been the clear load-time winner.

You might want to consider turning off the menu music when making videos. I always loved Axel F...and actually, just before watching your video (what a weird coincidence!) saw the Knight Rider episode where they use a bad ripoff of it...but after hearing it for 15 min strait, I hope I never hear it again ;p

Great to see you here, Bob! I can answer a few of your questions based on what's been discussed.

- Yes, it can boot straight to the game list
- Yes, pressing P1 Start to select a game from the menu will flash and boot straight to it
- I would like to have sub-folder support too, but I wonder if that could work since MAME based roms use multiple files?

You won't get any hate here for critiques!

Great to see you here, Bob! I can answer a few of your questions based on what's been discussed.

- Yes, it can boot straight to the game list
- Yes, pressing P1 Start to select a game from the menu will flash and boot straight to it
- I would like to have sub-folder support too, but I wonder if that could work since MAME based roms use multiple files?

You won't get any hate here for critiques!
@SmokeMonster beat me to it :)

He basically answered all the questions. I think you are right and times are not fair, but in the final version as soon as the game is loaded it will boot into it, so the timer will help you see how it will look in the final version. I guess we'll have to shoot a new video after that :)

@Darksoft - Can you please confirm a few things for me? The video confused me...

- Can you disable the pre-loaded 3 games? While it seems like an awesome feature for MVS users, I imagine most AES users will want to select their game each time.

- Booting to the game menu was discussed, but not showed in the video. Can it be set so that when it powers on, it just goes strait to the game select menu, without loading anything else at all?

- When a game is selected, can it just auto-launch after it loads? In the video, it seemed like it HAS to load into one of the three slots.

- I thought it supported roms in subfolders, so people can navigate to the directories they created? Having romsets with subdirectories like "hacks", "Shooters", etc is one of the best things about ROM carts, since you can sort things however you'd like. Having everything in a root directory is confusing...especially for games that have many versions. It's one of my biggest complaints about the NeoSD.

- How are games with save info treated? Is the savegame data saved to the SD card immediately? Is it done manually? If all data is lost when the consoles is powered off, I'm curious how this is handled.

Also, I'm sure I'm gonna get hate-posts for this, but I have some constructive criticism:

Your load time video's weren't fair. DS's cart obviously blows away the load time for all the larger games, but for the smaller games, you guys stopped the clock after the game flashed, not after the game loaded. A more fair comparison is how long it takes to start the actual game from power-off. At the moment, it looks like the NeoSD would be faster for smaller games, since it boots immediately (instead of loading the 3 slot games) and automatically starts the game after it loads (rather than having t go back to the menu). That being said, there's no comparing the two with the larger games that took the NeoSD over two minutes to load! You could have showed a fair video and still been the clear load-time winner.

You might want to consider turning off the menu music when making videos. I always loved Axel F...and actually, just before watching your video (what a weird coincidence!) saw the Knight Rider episode where they use a bad ripoff of it...but after hearing it for 15 min strait, I hope I never hear it again ;p
Hi Bob, and great to see you on here!

I completely get where you 're coming from and I don't think anything you said is anything other than constructive and objective. I look forward to the next video where a few of these changes are implemented.
It's also great to see constructive feedback received in the same spirit as it was intended :)

Thanks for the quick response guys! I appreciate you taking my comments the right way too.

The only thing I'm still a little confused about is how gamesaves work. If that's not finalized, don't worry, I'll just wait until the info is publicly available.

Thanks for the quick response guys! I appreciate you taking my comments the right way too.

The only thing I'm still a little confused about is how gamesaves work. If that's not finalized, don't worry, I'll just wait until the info is publicly available.
Yeah a lot of things aren't finalized. We will need to make another video when more options are added and I forgot to show auto loading a game in slot 1 and rebooting. Oh well, it's the first video we made with the actual hardware. There's more to come! Game saves were just added in the last test version of the menu I had just received. I was texting with Darksoft about how to use it while I was recording and decided in the end to just show it and leave details for another vid when I know it better. I just hadn't had enough time with it and it's not really done yet. :P

Once we add the ability to bypass the initial 3-slot screen it will be a more fair comparison but I didn't hide the fact in the video that the NeoSD booted the smaller games quicker. I tried to be fair in the comparison's, including updating the FW since I hadn't used the NeoSD since January, that's why included the smaller games. I could have just done the large games and it would have made our cart appear even better. I wanted to do the side-by-side TVs to be more fair instead of just doing side-by-side screenshots.

I didn't bash the NeoSD either. It works very well actually. As soon as I got my hands on it I told Darksoft that. It's cool because it motivated us to make our product even better than it was going to be.

We're already planning another video but I'm not going to do it until we finish changing and adding a few options. I'll revisit the small games loading and booting, probably without a timer just to show load to boot comparisons after we add the option to bypass the first screen.

Just keep in mind that this menu is by no means the production version. It has a ways to go to be perfect.

And I echo the sentiment of others, it's good to have you here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back