What's new

Report2Marty

Student
Reaction score
Greetings Everyone!

I have a Golden Axe pcb that performs great besides "voice" sound effects. Everything from music to general sound effects work, but no voice. I tried replacing the mpr-12384-a11 rom, but still no voice. Not sure if I need to go as far as replacing the Zilog Z80 or not since other sounds are working properly.

Anyone have any suggestions that I can try? Thank you so much in advance for any and all help!

No voices in test mode?
Which rom board? Which rom version? On battery?
When you replaced the a11 rom did you use a 27c1000 and burn it non-JEDEC?

did it ever work?

voice samples are handled by a 40pin chip that is not fitted unless it's used.
so if the game is a conversion it may be missing.
i think it's a uPD7759 btw - could be wrong though.

Greetings!

Sorry for the delayed response. Work got a little hectic. Thank you for your responses! I've included a pic of the board. No battery. Just realized I used a 27C0100 and not a 27c1000.. Got my info from a thread on KLOV/VAPS that mentioned the 27C0100. Sadly, not sure how to burn Non-JEDEC.. Kinda new to this (and slightly in over my head), but learning a lot so far. Found some info on changing the jumpers S13 and S14 to adjust for JEDEC and NON-JEDEC, is that correct? Next I'll put the board in test mode and report back!

Again, thank you so much for your help and more importantly you patience!

Attachments

• IMG_6419-2.JPG
    IMG_6419-2.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 384
Ok! Checked the voices in test mode and nothing comes up... Also, the board is a 171-5357. Not sure where that gets me in terms of JEDEC and NON-JEDEC EPROMs.. :/

Thanks again for all your help so far!

Ok! Checked the voices in test mode and nothing comes up... Also, the board is a 171-5357. Not sure where that gets me in terms of JEDEC and NON-JEDEC EPROMs.. :/

Thanks again for all your help so far!
mm haven't tried that particular rom board before, sorry! If it has a jumper to select jedec maybe you're fine? If you wanted to try to write the 27c1000s it's just a matter of switching pins 2 and 24. maybe your rom burner can do it automatically, or I lift the legs out of the socket and run jumpers to them.

I tried a JEDEC (27c1001) in my Golden Axe for audio samples and I had music but voices would make an alarm sound.

Putting in a non-JEDEC 27c1000 chip corrected that problem. However, there are both JEDEC and non-JEDEC 27c1000 chips out there. You have to look up the datasheet for the particular 27c1000 chip that you're going to use and make sure pin 2 = OE and pin 24 = A16.

Then you might find depending on your burner that it will only write JEDEC 27c1000 chips. If that's the case, then you need to manually swap pins 2 and 24 when programming. This is done by lifting the legs of pins 2 and 24 and swapping where they are connected on your EPROM programmer.

If this sounds like too much, hyperneogeo on KLOV can burn one for you:
http://forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=320258

Ah! Very good! I'll try these options! Thank you so much for the info! Any chance anyone can recommend a better eprom programmer other than the mini pro TL866, but at a price point under $200? I've been running into a ton of incompatibility issues with its limited support and little updating.

Thanks again everyone!

Top3000 for me. Quirky to get running (you have to disable driver signatures on win10) but otherwise great for non-flash stuff. But here's an active thread about it!

Best, low cost, programmer for most arcade hobbyists to have???

Also I have a ton of 27c1000s so if you need it burned I can ship you one. Swapping pins 2 and 24 is worth trying yourself if you can though, i just use a DuPont wire or alligator clips to route the signal.

Then again it might be some other issue, but I guess one variable at a time...

Thanks, kuze! Dang, seems like burning a Non-JEDEC 27c1000 is more of a nuisance than I thought!

True! I made quick work of a tmnt 2 player mod, and sound fix for shinobi, but this thing is driving me crazy. Tried lifting the pins and made a makeshift adapter. Chip was able to be verified, but the mini pro wouldn't burn it

Back