What's new

penrhos

Grand Master
Reaction score
I purchased a Japanese all-in-1 SF Ann' that was sold as working but surprise, surprise its dead - seller was ignoring me & has disappeared completely.

Symptoms were - no boot, get single colour screen, no sound etc... Checked the battery and it was completely flat so I've removed it as it was showing signs of leakage (fortunately no PCB damage).

I've checked the roms and they all check out OK against the Japanese versions in MAME so I'm assuming I need to overwrite the SIMM with phoenix versions of whatever was in them, this is where I'm stuck.

I've got CPS2Black.exe and the MAME + phoenix roms I think I need & I have a working CPS3 PCB SF3:NG. I've seen you can use Darksoft's BIOS to reprogram any simm so I should be able to do it, but...

What files do I need to inject into the ISO and how do I go around reprogramming the SIMM as NG has less ram then SF3-3S so I don't have the right memory config?

Have you seen my second video about CPS2Black? If you know someone that has the SuperBIOS I can send you the file you need to write. Just burn it to CD and then use the Darksoft menu to write it to the desired SIMM.

Yes I watched the video a couple of times and understand how to flash a specific SIMM but as I have a Japanese board and my CPS3 is two 128M SIMMS short for running SF3:3S I'm stuck at that point. That's why I haven't had my spare security cart converted...

If you could build the file that'd be great thanks.

I'll ask on AO/J+ if anyone can flash it for me if I send the SIMM & CD (as they probably won't want to lend out the cart).

I could do it for you if you can't find a euro guy.

Would you want clean or phoenix? Which region?

It's a Japanese board so I'll need decrypted Japanese roms - so long as it works I don't mind which set are used (assuming they work the same).

Check this out...
So basically they made a tutorial from my video. Did I get credit somewhere?

Notice my SECOND cps2black video was posted with Superbios instructions an entire year before that. Just sayin'

Nope - just Darksoft for the multi-bios.

I'd worked out what to do with CPS2Black from your videos - however the neo-arcadia thread states there's only one byte that needs altering to change the region code to JPN (as there doesn't seem to be a Phoenix set for JPN version) which is one of the things stopping me progressing.

I'll try to change the byte for you I you are unable. I can do it for the clean version.

I have a clean decrypted Japanese set on a real board. If you want I could dump it.

Yes indeed - would save a lot a messing around...

Finally fixed this....

Downloaded the team Avalaunch clean sets for Asia/USA - did a binary compare of the roms and HS2.03 has one byte different.

At address 12A0 the Asia rom has "08" and the US rom has "02" - did some googling and it looks like it's the region code:-

00 = Japan
02 = USA
08 = Asia
?? = Export

I loaded the HS2adi.03 file into a hex editor changed the value from 08 to 00 and saved it as HS2.03 renamed HS2adi.04 to HS2.04 then ran CPS2BLACK.exe -sb HS2

I burnt the resulting HS2-sb.bin to a CD-R and stuck it in the drive on my Darksoft CPS3 PCB - placed the Simm from my dead all-in-1 into slot-7 and powered it all up.

Pressed "P1 start" to enter the Darksoft menu and wrote the bin file to SIMM7 (Once it'd erased and re-written it I took it out, stuck it into the All-in-1 and now it's working and says "Japan" on title page.

For the first time in the three years I've owned this damn PCB, it's working - Thanks to Darksoft & Mitsurugi-w.

I originally picked up this PCB for 6000 YEN as "untested - junk treatment" and it was the first PCB I bought from YAJ that didn't work. Even though I'd bought a few "Untested - Junk treatment" PCB's previously and they'd been fine (Unfortunately I now have three DOA PCB's from YAJ, including one that was supposedly tested and OK).

I'd considered selling it loads of times but to replace it with another I'd be looking at 15,000-20,000 YEN so I hung onto it in the vain hope I could get it fixed easily & now it is....

Worth the price of the CPS3 multi-cart alone!

Only one question remains - are decryped Japanese roms the same as the others with just that one byte changed or am I cheating to display "Japan" on the title page by editing it?

I can say that the ASIA and USA versions seem to be the same code(040202)

The Japan version MAME knows is a older revision(031222) and I don't know if Japan 040202 exists. 031222 and 040202 don't match code alignment (expected).

Is there any appeal in decrypting 031222? Few weeks ago some Canadian gamers gave me solid arguments for decrypting a specific variation of Street Fighter Alpha 2. Their argument was very convincing (the game had so many things changed it almost plays like a completely different game)

So I went and made a decrypt of it... lol

I know the Japanese versions of some of the Street fighter games has sound effects in that aren't in the Asia version & I think some special moves are slightly different - but with this being HSF2A I'm not sure it's the same - I haven't had time to play it much yet....

It's possible the Japanese version (being earlier) may play differently as they usually tweaked the gameplay for Asia/USA releases.

Back