What's new

Mr. X

Student
Reaction score
Soooo

Been going through all these issues on my first cab purchase (Astro City) trying to fix everything. In hindsight I probably spent too much money on it and would've been better off waiting for a group buy.. Oh well.

Anyway, I have since replaced the marquee light and the stock speakers. I got a stereo amp and wiring I gotta do later to stereo the bad boy up.

But my pressing concern now is the kick buttons. The cab had wiring going to a JAMMA style connector that provided kick buttons for the PandoraBox 4 that it came with. I recently got a CPS3 kit and Darksofts mod, got a game loaded up aaaand kicks don't work. Let me guess, CPS3 won't detect the extra buttons on the JAMMA connector? I HAVE to use a kick harness don't I? Well great...

Anyway I'm hoping to just buy the easiest drop in wiring to get this to work. What would be the best solution here? The Astro City has a special connector in the control panel for the kick harness? Can someone point me to what to purchase here? I would really appreciate the advice. :/

Thanks!

So looks like I'll need to run this straight from the board to the buttons huh?

So looks like I'll need to run this straight from the board to the buttons huh?
Yep. But you can just unplug it from CPS3 and plug it into CPS2 or a Capcom I/O for JVS stuff too, and there are converters to go from CPS2/3 to CPS1 as well. So you won't be removing it often unless you've some other JAMMA stuff that has kick harness needs.

If you want to make your own

DF1B-34DS-2.5RC is the connector and DF1B-2022SC are the pins for it. You'll need at least 7 pins, but I'd get a some extra ones. pinout is here

Heads up some games on CPS2/character code in Jojo's does not like having buttons wired up to both the kick harness and unused jamma pins at the same time. You may want to put a switch on them or something in the future.

If your cabinet wiring isn't super hacked up there should be a 10 pin auxiliary amp up connector for kick harnesses so you don't have to run wires up to the buttons.

Last edited:
I need to take another look when I get home. But the current extra buttons wiring is directly going into the buttons. Whats puzzling is that the AMP connector in the control panel actually has wires going out the back and nothing connected to the front... Sooo if the extra JAMMA buttons are already wired.. what the hell are THESE wires going to?? Need to investigate that.

At this point I don't wanna mess with crimping on all that so I'd rather just drop in the easiest solution which would be a kick harness going directly into the buttons. Kinda lame though, because I'd have to switch out all the kick button quick disconnects if I want to switch to that PandoraBox.

The only game right now I plan to be running on here is 3s, so hopefully the extra JAMMA buttons won't interfere if they remain connected.

If you want versatility I would recommend the Reco device designed by Mike/RGB.

Reco, in addition to having fully reprogrammable buttons on the fly also works as something of a kick harness/jamma+ consolidator.
Take for example the Pandora's Box devices... They want buttons 4 and 5 on the jamma edge, like a jamma+ configuration.
CPS3 however wants buttons 4, 5 and 6 on its own CPS2/3 style kicks connector.

Reco can satisfy both of these needs, simply use the direct to button CPS2/3 style harness you have now...
Connect this to the Reco, then use the CPS2/3 lead coming from the Reco to feed CPS3, and use the now enhanced jamma edge of the Reco for jamma+.

This is my Reco, installed inside my Vewlix Capcom and connected to my CPS2 multi...
M7ABR9s.jpg

As you can see, in Taito's cab design buttons 4 and 5 are on the jamma connector, but button 6 is solo on the cps2/3 style connector.
So I use the Reco to reconnect/consolidate buttons 4/5/6 to the blue CPS2/3 connector out, while at the same time keeping support for jamma+ on Reco's edge.

I need to take another look when I get home. But the current extra buttons wiring is directly going into the buttons. Whats puzzling is that the AMP connector in the control panel actually has wires going out the back and nothing connected to the front... Sooo if the extra JAMMA buttons are already wired.. what the hell are THESE wires going to?? Need to investigate that.
They're not going anywhere. It's just a passthrough.

Check the links in @Mrhide's post two posts up and you can see the needed connector for it.

Thanks for the help. I think I'm gonna drop in the kick harness directly to buttons for now. I need to get tools to attach those AMP connectors.

Back