What's new
This thread is getting out of hand. I'm not going to discuss/argue with gamers about minor B.S. like this. Please go elsewhere for that.
I think the point is that we're trying to point out that there's more to compatibility (and this IS important to any hope of emulation in the future) than a simple "works on X board" in your original comment:
most of what you (or others) may/have be doing has already been done. almost all games have been tested across all revisions of the S246 hardware and documented in MAME.

I think the point is that we're trying to point out that there's more to compatibility (and this IS important to any hope of emulation in the future)
clearly you don't understand how emulation works....

I've tested all the games with 'modern' multi-read/write DVD drives and they worked, including Tekken 4. Whether they work for the next 50 years as the game cycles through games and attract mode is not my problem. Emulation doesn't care either way. As stated in my doc, working is defined as 'Booting To The Attract Mode'. If it boots it works. The end.This thread is getting out of hand. I'm not going to discuss/argue with gamers about minor B.S. like this. Please go elsewhere for that.
They will "boot" the game. They "don't work" because the game will crash during long term operation.
It's a major headache for real operators trying to actually operate the game in a real arcade environment.

it's not something you will see from just leaving it to run a couple minutes.
ok fine. it's still not my problem ;)

This not an emulation site so the documentation the defor is organizing will be much easier for me to sort through. If anyone has a reason be upset it's the people who are having their research described as worthless because some of it already in mame.

You do great work guru but it's ok to let other people contribute as well. Nobody knows everything.

I suggest people begin to appreciate the information in these threads rather than argue about who has a bigger dick. Yes, we all have dicks but we obviously like to use them in different ways. I personally don't use emulators because I am a gamer but I won't shit on anyone for doing so if they please.

I do however use the mame resources and yes they are awesome. I'm not taking sides because I like guru and I consider defor a friend of sorts.

I just think a little humility is in order.

Wow.

Attachments

• well.jpeg
    well.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 370
Fucking hell, I spend a little time away and now Guru is kicking off.

Good job I like him. He needs to understand how completely "non-gamer" many of us here are. Granted, it's where our roots lie, but hardware maintenance/technical discovery/hacking is also our thing.

Also, I wouldn't consider emulation to be successful if it only boots to the title screen, unless the actual hardware crashes in the same way. ;)

Does anyone think my comments were out of line or unnecessary?

We didn't open this forum to lord over anyone, we learn new things every day and this hobby should be fun. Whether it is because to like to play games or because you like to know how things work. I like both really. I prefer not to use emulators but I have. No I don't want an emulation site but there is room for emulation people here. I would like them to be educated about how the hardware works also and not here with their hands out asking for free romz. There is room for all here.

I also believe the job of a mod is to make people feel at home and enjoy the site. This includes stopping drama rather than making comments that would start it.

TO be truthful, I don't want guru to be gone but i guess we need to make our mission statement more clear from here on for with Mods. Mods are here to serve, not rule. They just happen to have the authority to maintain order.

If you want drama-causing mods then the Neo forums are just one click away.

Mitsu, your comments were fine.

Guru is a good guy, I definitely think he has a place here.

I get the point he made; I don't necessarily agree with it entirely, or the way he expressed it, but it's not exactly a flame war. I don't think anyone should feel offended.

Does anyone think my comments were out of line or unnecessary?

We didn't open this forum to lord over anyone, we learn new things every day and this hobby should be fun.
I'm a little late to this. I stayed out of the thread because the tech talk was going way over my head. You were not out of line or threatening at all Mits. Guru seems like an incredibly smart guy and an asset to the community, but if he doesn't wanna play here in a civil way, then oh well.

Any chance for a multi dongle?

What hardware should i get?

Yes, as mentioned before, I am working on a universal dongle for Namco 246/256 and Konami Python.
I'll be opening a thread about it sooner or later as I'd like to get some feedback as there's a large number of ways to make one.

In order to answer compatibility questions, it really depends on what games you want to run, and if you have the proper IO boards for the type of game it is.
There are a number of Shooting, Driving, and touchscreen games that require very specific IO board setup, so I'll skip over them for the time being and concentrate on the more popular traditional Joystick+Buttons games (unless you'd like clarification on some of them).

I've broken down the games into 3 lists. All the games in the first list will work, and then if you have a 246 or 256, the other games end up being exclusives:

246 OR a 256 PCB:
- Capcom Fighting Jam
- Fate - Unlimited Codes
- Mobile Suit Gundam Quiz Warrior
- Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta - A.E.U.G. vs. Titans
- Mobile Suit Gundam Zeta - A.E.U.G. vs. Titans DX
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED - Federation vs. Z.A.F.T.
- Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny - Federation vs. Z.A.F.T. II
- Quiz & Variety Suku Suku Inufuku 2 - More Suku Suku
- Sengoku Basara X
- Soul Calibur II
- Soul Calibur III - Arcade Edition
- Technic Beat
- Zoids Infinity - EX Plus *
- Zoids Infinity *

* Require Twinsticks, but is very easy to wire using either JVS or JAMMA IO.

246 ONLY (With specific DVD-ROM drive):
- Bloody Roar 3
- Netsu Chuu! Pro Baseball 2002
- Pride GP 2003
- Smash Court Pro Tournament
- Tekken 4

256 ONLY:
- Battle of YuYu Hakusho - Deathmatch! Dark Martial Arts Association, The
- Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix
- Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix 2
- Mobile Suit Gundam - Gundam vs. Gundam
- Mobile Suit Gundam - Gundam vs. Gundam NEXT
- Super Dragon Ball Z
- Tekken 5
- Tekken 5 - Dark Resurrection

I love that.

you know that if I can get access to proper debugger/dissasembler I'd like to help hacking all the games to remove all hardware dependencies, like FFB or specific I/O or specific DVD drive....
if someone gives a hand I'll nail it down for defor's kit.

cheers.

honestly, the drive requirements, I find aren't that bad, I've got a few different ones that I've used to get games running, but it's clear that not ALL drives will work (at least out of the box).
I think the more valuable path to pursue (IF it could be done) would be to find a way to get around the low power state needs altogether, such that the 256 could be used on the "problem" games.
These games ALSO have the same limitation:

Ridge Racer V - Arcade Battle (CD-ROM)
Wangan Midnight R (CD-ROM)
Wangan Midnight (CD-ROM)
Dragon Chronicle - Legendary Master Ark (CD-ROM)

I'm not really sure where to start- l_oliveira might have some thoughts.

IO board requirements for games might be a little less forgiving honestly.
I mainly say this because in digging, I've found problems like the fact that Vampire Night and Time Crisis 3 SHOULD support the same IO boards, but even though TECHNICALLY the Camera based IO boards have the same capabilities, the games only will talk to their respective boards, and even the service menus refuse to properly interoperate.
TC3 on the VN IO will flat-out give a broken gun alignment page, preventing even validating that it's initializing the camera.
VN on the TC3 IO will simply refuse to power on the gun LED.
Interestingly, the games have NO validation about WHICH IO board is connected, and the digital io channels work fine for the service menus- hell, even on a Sega Model 1.

I'm speculating that the camera firmware MAY be loaded from the game, not entirely a function of the IO board, thus creating this incompatibility.

Driving games might be possibly more hackable in order to remove the need for FFB or in the case of Battle Gear/Tuned, remove the boot fail state if the Taito IO is not connected.

Touchscreen games appear more forgiving- I've got a full setup, I just need to finish wiring it up, but the majority of the setup seems dependent on the serial touchscreen and its interface to JVS, which interestingly, is very consistent across games from various manufacturers.

And on a related, but not, note-
I'm working on a Playstation2 to Sega IO adapter designed specifically for the Taiko Drums.

Out of the box, the Sega IO will work fine with Taiko games, but given that it expects an analog value, pulldown resistors can be used to allow normal buttons instead of the drums...although the user interface is a bit .. lacking.
I omitted these games from the digital IO list because for PROPER functionality, they don't work with the JAMMA interface, or digital ONLY.

Back