What's new
This multi will require a different memory card for each game and you will need to burn a disk for the game you want to play unless the drive emulator we are waiting for is finally released. Even then you would need to write an sd card for each disk. Sorry guys, it's the limitation and nature of the platform. This multi will essentially be a dongle you can covert to any game. The DVD or HDD requirements will still be in play. Luckily they are not copy protected at all.

are there any bits of hardware we should start sourcing now if we want to hit the ground running once this comes out?
System 2X6 is required.
  • Follow the compatibility lists if you want specific games as many older games don't work (yet?) on the 256 (Clearly I'll be investigating this, as will likely others, once it's easier to do so)
  • If you want Time Crisis 4, you'll want a Super System 256 (this MAY be patchable, so I wouldn't waste the Money at the moment, but I can't promise)
  • If you want Wangan Midnight or Wangan Midnight R, you'll want a System 246 (Driving) or 246A PCB that's been upgraded to maximum memory (64MB - either a single card, or two 32MB cards) - at this point there's no way to get a 246B or C to run the game. It'll boot, but hang after the intro movie.

A JVS IO PCB such as the normal Sega Naomi style is highly suggested.
  • While the JAMMA I/O works for fighting games and the like, it still requires a tekken-style kick harness setup for extended buttons, and doesn't help at all for games that need analog input.
  • I am not aware of any game that does not at least (potentially) run on this IO.. some of the early shooting games may not, but I actually doubt this even, and investigation of the screen-out switch toggle may be all that's needed. Touchscreen games additionally need a serial touchscreen, and are a complete bag of hurt at the moment, usually involving rather expensive IC cards as well, so that's more of a FUTURE exploration thing, even though the games will load fine on the dongle.
  • The Namco force feedback setup is unnecessary on driving games thanks to work by KrHacken to patch around the initilization and post-init checks on Ridge Racer V
  • Analog is ESSENTIAL for many of the more niche games (Driving, Gun, Taiko, and Touchscreen, although the input hardware varies wildly, and you may want to be wary if you're not already in possession of a compatible input device.
Along with the JVS IO, I'd recommend a JVS power supply, with the wiring necessary to drive both the PCB and the IO board you go with, of course if you simply want basic JAMMA fighting games and the like, the JAMMA IO will work fine.

Compatible optical drives can be a bit of a mess.
  • I've found a series of DVD-ROM drives I recommend (more on this later) that work great for both all 246 games and all 256 games (they employ the complete ATAPI command set and are pretty commonplace.
  • DVD-ROM drives from mid-2000's or earlier, IDE interface, as well as older drives that have the full ATAPI command set, are really not in great shape at present. even NEW drives commonly have accumulated weird film over their lenses and will need cleaning, while others may simply be burnt out. There's nothing I can really do about this, and I wish there were, but the real answer is to wait for the emulator, that IS coming, I just have nothing to share about it still.
Hard drives are far more compatible, and Compact Flash WILL work if it's fully IDE/ATA compatible.
  • This said, CF is notably slower than HDD in a lot of cases, and while I've found no PROBLEMS with extended load times due to slower CF cards in place of HDD, YMMV.
  • Due to the usage of Sony APA partitioning (completely weird, random, and kinda handy) used on the majority of HDD games (Namco/Bandai/Capcom titles), they can actually all be made to coexist. Well... All but the Taito games. Each of the Taito games is programmed in such a manner that only one game can be on a drive at a time, so this means no Battle Gear or Zoids games without some kind of media swap.
  • Depending on your plans, you may want to consider options involving HDD or CF hot-swap bays. I have a setup (that mostly works) that I'll eventually show, and I wouldn't be adverse to selling as upgrade kits, that removes the need to unscrew and swap actual drives all the time.
  • I've had some luck with SATA drives, but it seems to be a mixed bag, and likely due to compatibility issues specific to the model SATA/IDE adapter used.

On to ADDITIONAL stuff you will need.

Sony PlayStation 2 (Hacked, or booting FMCB already) + uLaunchELF (Note, if you do not have a PlayStation 2, some of the newer models will NOT run FMCB)

OR

GENUINE Sony PlayStation 3 Memory Card Adaptor Adapter Reader CECHZM1 (You do not need a PlayStation 3 however)

These are NOT optional, and right now, the only way to get data onto the cards requires a PlayStation 2, or an equivalent device, hence the CECHZM1.
In the future, this requirement may be removed via hardware and software development, but at present, this is part of the cost of entry.

FYI, the CECHZM1 is far more convenient I find, BUT it's also currently fetching $40 USD + price tags on eBay, AND copy speeds are lower, IF speed matters to you. On the upside, I've made a little Raspberry Pi distribution that can program the cards using an LCD interface and this adapter, and if I can clean up the code a little, I'll gladly give it out as well.

GENUINE Sony PlayStation 3 Memory Card Adaptor Adapter Reader CECHZM1 (You do not need a PlayStation 3 however)
I have one of these, though I don't know if it's a "CECHZM1" are there multiple numbers or are all the official PS3 card readers the same?

I've made a little Raspberry Pi distribution that can program the cards using an LCD interface and this adapter, and if I can clean up the code a little, I'll gladly give it out as well.
That would be very cool, especially if it used the same LCD module as the NAOMI Net-Boot setups, since a lot of people will already have that hardware available.

So if I understand how this works. your tool will essentially allow us to reprogram a Security Dongle for any game, beyond that we'd be stuck with the same limitations in terms of the IDE device as we have now.

So the question is, will this re-program any dongle or only specially modified dongles?

Thanks for the breakdown. Managed to snag a CECHZM1 before the rush!

Now I just need to figure out if I have a 246 or a 256, and whether or not I'll be needing to buy the other one too...

Got a fat ps2 with fmcb last month... I had a really good feeling it would come it handy for this project someday. Didn't expect it to happen so soon!

246 and 256 at the ready!! So excited!

So if I understand how this works. your tool will essentially allow us to reprogram a Security Dongle for any game, beyond that we'd be stuck with the same limitations in terms of the IDE device as we have now.

So the question is, will this re-program any dongle or only specially modified dongles?
My tool is actually the dongle... it's a modified dongle that allows for reprogramming by way of swapping/programming removable flash media, instead of using the internal memory of the dongle. All tools to do the reprogramming are effectively just stock PlayStation 2 based hardware interfaces.

The situation is that dongles themselves cannot be reprogrammed DIRECTLY without encryption keys and methods from Sony that we do not have access to, so my dongle sidesteps the encryption. It's still there, but we get the data we need on indirectly, rather than via the normal route (through the 8-pin contacts on the card)

Now I just need to figure out if I have a 246 or a 256, and whether or not I'll be needing to buy the other one too...
If it's a big wide unit, it's a 246 of some variety (Driving, A, or B), if it's square-ish and there's both controller AND dongle ports, then it's a 246c, if not, it's a 256.

That would be very cool, especially if it used the same LCD module as the NAOMI Net-Boot setups, since a lot of people will already have that hardware available.
Precisely.
I've been using these interfaces for a while now as the adafruit library is stupid easy to code simple python UI to work with.

If it's a big wide unit, it's a 246 of some variety (Driving, A, or B), if it's square-ish and there's both controller AND dongle ports, then it's a 246c, if not, it's a 256.
Looking at the compatibility list it must be a 256 between the titles I have, and the fact that I bought it in hopes of working up a Taiko setup. Still missing the PCB that goes between the I/O and the drums, but I've not seen one for sale yet.

I bought many months ago a used 256, a new JAMMA kit and 3 new compatible IDE DVD drives as preparation for the upcoming multi (i like to plan in advance). Looks like now I would need to test everything to make sure it all actually works :D

A freeMCboot PS2 is a great thing to have regardless.

This all sounds pretty fantastic.

What's the status with Bloody Roar 3? The Guru listed it having a custom I/O, would it play with a Namco or Capcom IO? Also despite saying it was dumped, MAME only has a 'bootleg' (how do you even?) chd. Any idea what's up with that?

What's the status with Bloody Roar 3? The Guru listed it having a custom I/O, would it play with a Namco or Capcom IO?
I think that's a mistake.It runs just fine with a regular Naomi I/O. It needs a compatible drive like Tekken 4 and it runs only in 15khz.
All Pictures I have ever seen of Bloody Roar 3 show it running on some kind of 246a looking board. Is it possible to run it on a 246b or 246c?

What's the status with Bloody Roar 3? The Guru listed it having a custom I/O, would it play with a Namco or Capcom IO?
I think that's a mistake.It runs just fine with a regular Naomi I/O. It needs a compatible drive like Tekken 4 and it runs only in 15khz.
All Pictures I have ever seen of Bloody Roar 3 show it running on some kind of 246a looking board. Is it possible to run it on a 246b or 246c?
I ran it on a 246b iirc. I sold that setup but It was a pretty normal 246 setup with a tekken4-friendly drive. Full disclosure it was a converted dongle but it worked fine.

Back