What's new
If you guys have requests for technical discussion threads about specific games that I can prioritize, let me know (just drop me a message), and I'll get them started, and try to get what I know in there ASAP
I'd definitely like to know technical info on how to wire up a PS2 Taiko no Tatsujin drum to a Sega I/O. I tried my hand at it in the past, but largely hit a brick wall with it:
Help buying the right 256 stuff
S-JIHP: Sega JVS I/O Helper PCB
S-JIHP: Sega JVS I/O Helper PCB

rewrite mentioned a possible plan of action, but it's a bit greek to me:
"It seems that the SIF PCB is an amplifier. It uses TLO72CP chips to amplify the drum sensor signals. From there it goes to the I/O. It looks easy enough to replicate, it's just a single layer PCB with resistors and those chips, and the traces are easy to view... For earlier TnT PCB's it's just drums -> SIF -> filter board. On Sys2x6 it's drums -> SIF -> Namco JVS IO. I should have a 12 kit coming in in a little bit, and I'm going to order the parts for the SIF and try to get something working."

Last edited:
rewrite mentioned a possible plan of action
No one on the planet has been willing to take hi-res pictures of both sides of this PCB for me. I've asked maybe 10 private collectors, and a few people who work at arcades and "can try to do it this weekend" and no one ever has. So I can't really even try to hack something together unfortunately.

No one on the planet has been willing to take hi-res pictures of both sides of this PCB for me. I've asked maybe 10 private collectors, and a few people who work at arcades and "can try to do it this weekend" and no one ever has. So I can't really even try to hack something together unfortunately.
I have a Taiko cab. Let me know what you need.

With a HUGE thanks to @defor.... LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!!

ZC9DXqt.jpg

(the 2nd net city is tate)

Also TIL you can't mixed resolutions (15/31k) on LAN matches :(

WikZ6ME.jpg

Remember, these things are based on a PS2, and the graphics clock commonly regulates gameplay speeds on ps2 games....
I didn't know that's how they operate. Thanks for explaining!

As my software students found out, projects never go to plan and gantt charts always need updating.

How are we tracking? I'm very excited :)

As my software students found out, projects never go to plan and gantt charts always need updating.

Oh man, I had quite the chuckle when I saw this.

You're quite right, even with some of the leeway I gave myself, I'm off course according to the Gantt chart.

That said, I'm about 2 weeks behind where I should be on the chart, BUT overall, I'm still on track, as a few of the tasks I gave myself a week + on can be cranked out in a few hours' time, and I've already completed most of the heavy lifting.

Random unrelated question defor, but related to 246 stuff.

I know that Bloody Roar 3 will only run in 15khz mode, is there a way to hack the dongle to get it working in 31khz mode, like change a resolution flag or something?

Oh man, I had quite the chuckle when I saw this.
You're quite right, even with some of the leeway I gave myself, I'm off course according to the Gantt chart.

That said, I'm about 2 weeks behind where I should be on the chart, BUT overall, I'm still on track, as a few of the tasks I gave myself a week + on can be cranked out in a few hours' time, and I've already completed most of the heavy lifting.
Sounds promising :D

Random unrelated question defor, but related to 246 stuff.

I know that Bloody Roar 3 will only run in 15khz mode, is there a way to hack the dongle to get it working in 31khz mode, like change a resolution flag or something?
There MAY be, but not yet.
Again, I suspect there will be a lot more hacks coming once the dongle is out to the public.

Also, resolution hacks, as on PS2 are a mixed bag. Some games base timing on the video clock, others don't. the ones that do, commonly will run 2x as fast when in "VGA" mode, and there will likely be a similar effect on at least SOME games, if we can get to that point with 2x6.

The other part that makes this difficult is that the later games add some kind of compression to the main game binary, and right now, any edits to that are a very delicate situation. I was only able to make the Taiko "Asian Version" region hack because the compression doesn't seem to be picky about checksums, and unique strings are pretty easy to track down.

I'd be happy if tekken could be moddified so it'll work with any drive.

that's probably one of the highest requests- tekken4 (and other games) removing the need for a specific drive commandset.
although if a viable IDE/ATAPI emulator comes along we might not need to worry about it.

The two things I'd most like to see
1. Time Crisis 4 work on a regular 256
2. Bloody Roar 3 work on a 256

Back