What's new

rewrite

Multi Boyz Litigator
Immortal
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
I know the sensors are all the same from Naomi forward (and one of the two JP games, iirc?), and that running Lindbergh/Naomi/Chihiro in the same cab isn't a big deal.

But do the newer cabs' 16:9 monitors have 4:3 support, or does it all get forced into widescreen? I've owned CRT HotD cabs, both the long deluxe and the stand-up, but not the LCD versions. Debating going for a HotD EX or something instead of waiting around for a Universal-style gun cab to rear its ugly head here in the US.

I know I'd lose out on non-Sega gun games this way, which sucks, but the EX cabs do look slick and it's about my only non-wood option for a readily available gun cab far as I can tell.

I have a Lindbergh Universal Cabinet, with a Sharp monitor. It accepts 31K in 4/3 or stretch in 16/9 using menu. I don't know monitor used in other cabinets.

I love the HOTD EX cab, it even has a foot pedal!

As for older games, if I ever get around to finishing my light gun project I'll have a way to use the Sega Guns on a PC for mame and other emulators

Or, you're welcome to pick up where I left off. I basically just used an input device that accepts analog inputs (in my case KADE running Xbox 360 controller emulation).

From there what you really want is some middle-layer PC program that can take those inputs and convert it to mouse movements and allow for it's own calibration. if you do that most gun game emulation should "just work" I've heard GlovePie might work for the analog to mouse translation but I never got as far as testing it.

I have a Lindbergh Universal Cabinet, with a Sharp monitor. It accepts 31K in 4/3 or stretch in 16/9 using menu. I don't know monitor used in other cabinets.
Lindberghs don't really have a place to put ten sensors on the bezel, otherwise they're cheap enough I'd consider drilling holes for them :).

I'd like to at least keep to non-emulation for Sega stuff. Excellent info though, hopefully the monitors are similar in that regard!

As for older games, if I ever get around to finishing my light gun project I'll have a way to use the Sega Guns on a PC for mame and other emulators

Or, you're welcome to pick up where I left off. I basically just used an input device that accepts analog inputs (in my case KADE running Xbox 360 controller emulation).

From there what you really want is some middle-layer PC program that can take those inputs and convert it to mouse movements and allow for it's own calibration. if you do that most gun game emulation should "just work" I've heard GlovePie might work for the analog to mouse translation but I never got as far as testing it.
I've got one of those Ultimarc Aimtrak guns that emulates a mouse. It's not awful. It just doesn't *feel* right though.

I think ultimately the things I want out of a gun cab are going to require two cabinets (One standard CRT, one for HD and Sega). If mouse-emulation is the only option I've got for using an LCD, and it's like the Aimtrak, I'm just going to need a CRT cab, and I just can't seem to find another CRT gun cab that I actually like. It's a shame, the local auction place apparently "gave away" a Universal-style Confidential Mission somewhat recently to a guy who spent a ton of money on pinball because it'd been sitting around so long. And that only marks #2 of those cabs I've known of in the US.

Lindberghs don't really have a place to put ten sensors on the bezel, otherwise they're cheap enough I'd consider drilling holes for them :).

I'd like to at least keep to non-emulation for Sega stuff. Excellent info though, hopefully the monitors are similar in that regard!
Yes, perhaps HoDEx or 2Spicy! cabinets could have the same monitor. But this Sharp monitor is not the most common, Toshiba is the most and I'm not sure how it reacts with 31K, I think it will do the same.
For my LUC, I've added sensors around screen to test, it works quite well. Cabinet is a bit low for guns. It's simple, just use plastic guides (I don't know the word, what you use for electric wires in houses). But I don't use this setup since I have got some Sega gun cabinets, it was just a working proof for a friend.

Last edited:
I've got one of those Ultimarc Aimtrak guns that emulates a mouse. It's not awful. It just doesn't *feel* right though.
it's not mouse emulation that makes the Aimtrack suck. it's the tracking hardware they use. I've gone over this in detail in other threads about "bi-angulation" vs "tri-angulation" it's the same reason the Wii remote/sensor bar doesn't feel right either. the mouse emulation is necessary with the Sega equipment simply because that thats how all the emulators accept light gun inputs. If you're using Sega hardware and have the software setup right you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between in controls between emulators and genunine hardware

If you're using Sega hardware and have the software setup right you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between in controls between emulators and genunine hardware
How about when it comes to other hardware? CRT-based lightgun setups as opposed to Sega's sensor setup?

the tracking on the Sega IR setups is every bit as accurate as CRT, the difference comes in the distance from the screen.

So the Sega IR setup the gun needs to "see" at least 3 LEDs, with at least 1 from the top of the screen and 1 from the bottom of the screen. So, if you get too close it will lose tracking.

CRT guns have the opposite problem where if you're too far away or if the image is too dim it has trouble tracking your position, so the closer the gun is to the screen the better it tracks.

So as long as you're far enough away from the screen for the guns to track I don't think you'd be able to feel any difference between the Sega IR setup and a CRT gun.

Sorry, either I didn't explain what I meant, or I don't understand.

If Sega emulated with a properly would feel identical to the real thing, would emulating non-Sega hardware feel "correct" as well? Maybe that's better worded.

That's how I understood your question... but since my long answer didn't make sense the short answer is: yes.

it's a gun game... there's really no "feel" to it. it either shoots where you're pointing or it doesn't.

Aimtrak and Wii-Remotes blow donkey balls because they DONT shoot where you're pointing, they shoot relative to the position they were calibrated in.

As long as the gun hardware is designed to accurately interpret where the gun is pointing the "feel" is always the same: accurate.

that was new to me too. I figure it's pretty useful for a valuation if nothing else. Coinopwarehouse is really good at hitting market value spot on.

I figure it's pretty useful for a valuation if nothing else.
Absolutely. If one popped up over here I'd seriously consider it.

I think for now I'm holding out for a dedicated Point Blank/Gunbalina/etc cab for CRT stuff, the artwork is too cool, and the giant marquee really sells it.

And keeping an eye out for something for Sega, whether it's one of these, a HotDEX, or a Naomi Universal-style I'm not sure.

Back